The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hey for all those who say i will never agree on anything Trump says or does..I am in full agreement here!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trade-chief-dumbs-down-contract-082052157.html

Can't count NO MOU numbers as sales or revenue, a contract is a contract, and MOU is useless in my world 

I don't see how that was 'dumbing down' the discussion for Trump (other than it was a HuffPo piece, and they're dipschiffs with a mandate to attack Trump regardless of reality). He wasn't wrong.

People forget Trump has been involved in negotiating and signing complex contracts for decades.

Just now, Koko78 said:

I don't see how that was 'dumbing down' the discussion for Trump (other than it was a HuffPo piece, and they're dipschiffs with a mandate to attack Trump regardless of reality). He wasn't wrong.

People forget Trump has been involved in negotiating and signing complex contracts for decades.

I think an MOU is used differently in treaties and tariffs than it is business,..which lord knows I did noy know that either! And I am way smarter than Trump?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Frankly, I was surprised HuffPo had an article. Didn't they fire everyone?

51 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think an MOU is used differently in treaties and tariffs than it is business,..which lord knows I did noy know that either! And I am way smarter than Trump?

Yes, an MOU in business is a non-binding statement of intent.  In international diplomacy, they're considered treaties by the UN (as they're often used to modify treaties, this trade agreement being an example), and thus are usually much stronger.

Which also explains the discrepancy in the reporting of the Moscow Trump Tower letter of intent: in Trump's business world, it's non-binding, representing the outline of a yet-to-be-finalized agreement.  In international diplomacy, it represents a much more complete deal and binding obligation on the parties involved.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Yes, an MOU in business is a non-binding statement of intent.  In international diplomacy, they're considered treaties by the UN (as they're often used to modify treaties, this trade agreement being an example), and thus are usually much stronger.

Which also explains the discrepancy in the reporting of the Moscow Trump Tower letter of intent: in Trump's business world, it's non-binding, representing the outline of a yet-to-be-finalized agreement.  In international diplomacy, it represents a much more complete deal and binding obligation on the parties involved.

The Trump Tower Moscow deal had to be a recognition of someone representing them locally. There's been no talk of a property that was identified or a price that would be part of a LOI. It had to be an agreement that would pay someone for that person finding a property that met certain specifications.

Trump would flunk a test in a freshman economics class. Former chairman of the Federal Reserve Janet L. Yellen: “Well, I doubt that [the president] would even be able to say that the Fed’s goals are maximum employment and price stability, which is the goals that Congress have assigned to the Fed. He’s made comments about the Fed having an exchange-rate objective in order to support his trade plans, or possibly targeting the U.S. balance of trade. And, you know, I think comments like that shows a lack of understanding of the impact of the Fed on the economy, and appropriate policy goals.” Anyone surprised?

13 minutes ago, GG said:

Who wins the battle of most confusing double negative lede?

My vote goes to Bloomberg

The U.S. economy cooled by less than expected last quarter 

I haven't yet seen anyone say "Did better than expected."  Outlets seem to be going way out of their way to make this seem negative.

37 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I haven't yet seen anyone say "Did better than expected."  Outlets seem to be going way out of their way to make this seem negative.

Well, Trump said would be north of 4% no problemo did he not? maybe even 5 to 6% if i remember correctly

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, Trump said would be north of 4% no problemo did he not? maybe even 5 to 6% if i remember correctly

Or Obama said that we'd never be able to see 2% gains again. Oh, and something about manufacturing jobs in the USA were pretty much gone and won't be coming back. (I can do this all day)

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Or Obama said that we'd never be able to see 2% gains again. Oh, and something about manufacturing jobs in the USA were pretty much gone and won't be coming back. (I can do this all day)

i still never understand why you have to continually bring up Obama . Is it cause you can't defend Trump and his actions and statements on their own merits?

Its akin to saying Housley should be NHL coach of the year cause the Sabres had a fluky streak that was not sustainable, but damn he is better than Ted Nolan!!!!! Non sensical

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i still never understand why you have to continually bring up Obama . Is it cause you can't defend Trump and his actions and statements on their own merits?

Its akin to saying Housley should be NHL coach of the year cause the Sabres had a fluky streak that was not sustainable, but damn he is better than Ted Nolan!!!!! Non sensical

Context.