The Trump Economy

GG

“By any measure, our current fiscal outlook is dangerous and unsustainable. Trillion-dollar deficits will soon return, and continue indefinitely into the future as the growth in our debt outpaces the economy. Interest costs are now the fastest growing part of the budget, and in a few years we’ll actually be spending more on interest than on national defense. It’s hard to believe.”

https://www.pgpf.org/press-release/2019/02/peterson-the-state-of-the-union-speech-must-acknowledge-dangerous-fiscal-outlook?_cldee=anJ1YmluYmxvZ2dlckBnbWFpbC5jb20%3d&recipientid=contact-20582577abe9e211ac410050569818e7-1e260e43e2de46ba9703f1d1ca06bfd2&esid=d6c46cfe-b428-e911-940f-0050568d4238

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:
US trade deficit narrows much more than expected in a win for Trump
CNN Online, by Jeff Cox

Original Article

Whatever Trump does, it’s the worst

Whatever the results, it’s the worst

these economy clowns can be dead wrong

15,000 times in a row and they still get paid

phrenology is a better social science

1 hour ago, B-Man said:
US trade deficit narrows much more than expected in a win for Trump
CNN Online, by Jeff Cox

Original Article

As stated, it's the first improvement in 6 months, as this year's will be larger than last year's deficit.  That said, his strategy of taking on China is long term, so hopefully this marks that turning point.  Despite the sniping from the cheap seats, i've stated several times I support his trade strategy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/4/2019 at 9:28 AM, B-Man said:

REAL CHANGE: Trump Economy: Blue-Collar Wages Rise Faster than White-Collar. 

“Salaries for college graduate Americans are growing much slower than for Americans who are working in transportation, restaurants, services, construction, and sales, according to federal data. . . .

Poll ratings shows that Trump’s support is weaker among university graduates than among blue-collar workers.”

This should be interesting to watch..have no idea as the veracity of said claims, how widespread etc. But interesting none the less

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/middle-class-dad-freak-trump-211032057.html

On 2/6/2019 at 10:12 AM, row_33 said:

Whatever Trump does, it’s the worst

Whatever the results, it’s the worst

these economy clowns can be dead wrong

15,000 times in a row and they still get paid

phrenology is a better social science

did you read the article ? 

I am not quite sure what to think of it..trade deficit "narrowed " for first time in 6 months..but is still higher than when Obama was in office. Is that worthy of praise? 

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This should be interesting to watch..have no idea as the veracity of said claims, how widespread etc. But interesting none the less

Not to take away from the primary point of that article, but if you're posting this...

I don't get the 5000 return I've gotten the last 3 years. Money my family depends on to start us over.

...you're doing it wrong. Why would you, for the past three years, knowingly loan $5,000 to the government at zero interest? And what do you mean by "start us over"? Are you counting on getting paid back the zero-percent interest loan from the government so you can pay off your 19% interest credit card debt to "start over"?

Otherwise...y'know...Yahoo News. I can scan Twitter and find ten people who believe they've been anal-probed by aliens, but you don't see me writing an article about it.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

there is also the weekly adjustment to their take home pay to consider. for many Americans, their take home went up considerably. if they did not adjust their withholding status, then it is somewhat to be expected.

55 minutes ago, Foxx said:

there is also the weekly adjustment to their take home pay to consider. for many Americans, their take home went up considerably. if they did not adjust their withholding status, then it is somewhat to be expected.

That's the missing part in the texts.   If their take home pay during the year increased, then it's logical that everything equalized at the end of the year and the refund was lower.

This is the part about the tax code that drives me bananas.  People think that a refund is some magical number the government gives them at the end of the year.   Great job by the tax industry lobby to cloud people's understanding of what the refund actually means.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

That's the missing part in the texts.   If their take home pay during the year increased, then it's logical that everything equalized at the end of the year and the refund was lower.

This is the part about the tax code that drives me bananas.  People think that a refund is some magical number the government gives them at the end of the year.   Great job by the tax industry lobby to cloud people's understanding of what the refund actually means.

I have that fight with my wife every year.  "I don't understand why we never get a refund!"  Because I plan it that way, to avoid giving the government an interest-free loan.

• Like (+1) 1

The SALT ceiling could hit middle class in high cost of living areas. The other issue is if you live in a state that pegs state income tax to your AGI. In some instances it may be best to itemize even if you come in under the federal standard deduction when viewing income taxes as a whole.

In the end however (as mentioned above) people really need to focus on their effective tax rate, not what they get back. I have to write the feds a check this year but my effective rate is down almost 2%.

4 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

The SALT ceiling could hit middle class in high cost of living areas. The other issue is if you live in a state that pegs state income tax to your AGI. In some instances it may be best to itemize even if you come in under the federal standard deduction when viewing income taxes as a whole.

In the end however (as mentioned above) people really need to focus on their effective tax rate, not what they get back. I have to write the feds a check this year but my effective rate is down almost 2%.

You really think people are capable of understanding what an effective tax rate is? These are the same types of morons who are crying about the SALT deduction being the federal government's problem, rather than realizing that their state is taxing the crap out of them. The same morons who think that their tax returns are free money, with zero clue that they're giving the government an interest-free loan.

Edited by Koko78

9 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

You really think people are capable of understanding what an effective tax rate is? These are the same types of morons who are crying about the SALT deduction being the federal government's problem, rather than realizing that their state is taxing the crap out of them. The same morons who think that their tax returns are free money, with zero clue that they're giving the government an interest-free loan.

I don’t think most people are capable of wiping there own ass properly. The comments section of the above linked article is a sad reflection on the math/problem solving skills in this country.

completely  simpatico on the state tax issue and free loan components 

Edited by Kevbeau

1 minute ago, Kevbeau said:

I don’t think most people are capable of wiping there own ass properly. The comments section of the above linked article is a said reflection on the math/problem solving skills in this country.

completly simpatico on the state tax issue and free loan components 

I read an article earlier tonight where the writers were sharing sob stories about average middle class people making $80,000 to $100,000+ whining about the "Trump tax raise" because they weren't getting their $5,000+ refunds anymore due to the SALT cap. It was going to break the one family, because they use that money to "start over" every year.

It was quite funny. Especially the comments. It was clear those idiots have no ***** clue beyond #OrangeManBad.

5 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I read an article earlier tonight where the writers were sharing sob stories about average middle class people making $80,000 to $100,000+ whining about the "Trump tax raise" because they weren't getting their $5,000+ refunds anymore due to the SALT cap. It was going to break the one family, because they use that money to "start over" every year.

It was quite funny. Especially the comments. It was clear those idiots have no ***** clue beyond #OrangeManBad.

I don’t believe half of the sob stories. The math just doesn’t make sense unless you have a mortgage that far outstrips any logical ability to pay it.

Edited by Kevbeau