The Trump Economy

GG

12 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You wouldn't have heard of it.  I found it digging through census data.  I've never seen it anywhere else.

so..this would be an extremely radical point to made in terms of the history of the US no? Have you ever submitted anything or wrote anything to document your findings?

I mean, of course, I would find out stuff like this on a Buffalo Bills message board..

Interesting article here

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/aug/24/viral-image/viral-post-gets-it-wrong-extent-slavery-1860/

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You wouldn't have heard of it.  I found it digging through census data.  I've never seen it anywhere else.

and now we know why asking if someone is an illegal on the next census was struck down.

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

so..this would be an extremely radical point to made in terms of the history of the US no? Have you ever submitted anything or wrote anything to document your findings?

I mean, of course, I would find out stuff like this on a Buffalo Bills message board..

Interesting article here

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/aug/24/viral-image/viral-post-gets-it-wrong-extent-slavery-1860/

one wonder, did they have a question on the census in 1860 that asked if you were a slave or not? were slaves allowed to fill out census forms?

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

bear still invisible

Lets not forget the bear awoke and showed his face...he ain't roaring now but ain't exactly hibernating either...China, 4Q + 1Q numbers, lots of uncertainty right now. After 8 years of relative calm, steady, unspectacular growth we now have growing deficits and a market and economy on edge.

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Don't be surprised what you might find here. There are experts in a myriad of areas that are capable of digging into something and coming up with plausible or rock solid evidence to prove a point. I don't doubt Tom one bit regarding the % of black slave holders. Over the years he has proven just anal enough to have figured that out from census figures. I say that both in jest and in sincerity.

DR has set out a good case for the Deep State' misdeeds and  DOJ and FBI malfeasance. Much of what we hear as breaking news today has been if not known here for months or more, a logical outcome.

I have expertise in real estate development. I laugh at the Trump Tower Moscow allegations because I know that a deal was so far from being consummated that it was silly for Mueller's team to pursue it for the time they did. I also spent a little time quite a few years ago investigating Obama's house purchase in Chicago. There is no doubt in my mind that Obama conspired with a convicted felon to obtain his house at a reduced money amount, and at the same time gain control of an additional 625k of land for 1/6 of that price. What did Tony Rezko, as a soon to be convicted felon have to gain?

Don't underestimate what you might learn here. You might have to fumble through 100 pages to find 5 that are worthy but that's a far better percentage than theshit that the MSM is putting out there.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lets not forget the bear awoke and showed his face...he ain't roaring now but ain't exactly hibernating either...China, 4Q + 1Q numbers, lots of uncertainty right now. After 8 years of relative calm, steady, unspectacular growth we now have growing deficits and a market and economy on edge.

all Christmas holidays i was inundated with THE DEPRESSION OF 2019!!!!!  already started

i heartily applaud all those who put their money where their mouth was and sold short on the Dow after the first few adjustments

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

One wonder, did they have a question on the census in 1860 that asked if you were a slave or not? were slaves allowed to fill out census forms?

No...but slaveholders listed their slaves, since they counted for 3/5 a person for state representation in the House, which is the entire purpose of the census.

Of course Southern states listed slaves in their census results.  Otherwise they'd be underrepresented in Congress.

• Like (+1) 1

Quick search found a source with some detail on Tom's numbers.

https://www.theroot.com/did-black-people-own-slaves-1790895436

So what do the actual numbers of black slave owners and their slaves tell us? In 1830, the year most carefully studied by Carter G. Woodson, about 13.7 percent (319,599) of the black population was free. Of these, 3,776 free Negroes owned 12,907 slaves, out of a total of 2,009,043 slaves owned in the entire United States, so the numbers of slaves owned by black people over all was quite small by comparison with the number owned by white people. In his essay, " 'The Known World' of Free Black Slaveholders," Thomas J. Pressly, using Woodson's statistics, calculated that 54 (or about 1 percent) of these black slave owners in 1830 owned between 20 and 84 slaves; 172 (about 4 percent) owned between 10 to 19 slaves; and 3,550 (about 94 percent) each owned between 1 and 9 slaves. Crucially, 42 percent owned just one slave.

Pressly also shows that the percentage of free black slave owners as the total number of free black heads of families was quite high in several states, namely 43 percent in South Carolina, 40 percent in Louisiana, 26 percent in Mississippi, 25 percent in Alabama and 20 percent in Georgia. So why did these free black people own these slaves?

I'm sure as f@#$ not going through census data.

EDIT:  The source suggests free black men were gaming the system in some or many instances to protect loved ones, friends, and fellow slaves and allowing them to work under more "liberal" conditions. Interesting.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Because slavery existed since time immemorial and was the status quo, not the outlier nor in any way exclusive to the Americas or the New World. 

I don't recall posing that question but I added a postscript to my last post which offers additional thought on the question above.

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You know how some people go on a vacation to the Caribbean and sit on a beach drinking umbrella cocktails and reading the latest Tom Clancy thriller?

That's Tom, except it's not the Caribbean, it's the Potomac...it's not an umbrella drink, it's kifer...and it's not Tom Clancey, it's census data.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

EDIT:  The source suggests free black men were gaming the system in some or many instances to protect loved ones, friends, and fellow slaves and allowing them to work under more "liberal" conditions. Interesting.

In extremely dire conditions I would not blame anyone for doing something selfish to preserve their life.  I consider it a better thing to be unselfish during dire times.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't recall posing that question but I added a postscript to my last post which offers additional thought on the question above.

The other article posted above gives additional insights into the more plausible reasons for blacks owning slaves - for emancipation, marriage and raising families. 

The inference that black ownership of slaves was for servitude is probably incorrect.  

Just now, GG said:

The other article posted above gives additional insights into the more plausible reasons for blacks owning slaves - for emancipation, marriage and raising families. 

The inference that black ownership of slaves was for servitude is probably incorrect.  

I just posted as much. 

At no time did I infer anything about the motivation of black slave owners. 

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

I just posted as much. 

At no time did I infer anything about the motivation of black slave owners. 

Not you, but the general inference made when people throw out the statistic without context.

5 minutes ago, GG said:

The inference they didn't is also incorrect.  There were as many reasons as there were slaveholders.  Black farmers of any moderate size would have required slave labor due to the economic structure of the South.  Urban black middle class merchants might own slaves as a mark of status.

Like I said, *****'s more complex than you think.

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The source is garbage.  The Root interprets everything through modern racial anger that didn't exist in the mid-1800's.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The inference they didn't is also incorrect.  There were as many reasons as there were slaveholders.  Black farmers of any moderate size would have required slave labor due to the economic structure of the South.  Urban black middle class merchants might own slaves as a mark of status.

Like I said, *****'s more complex than you think.

The source is garbage.  The Root interprets everything through modern racial anger that didn't exist in the mid-1800's.

A man can't even post a link without some cracka ass cracka popping off about "the Root interprets everything through modern racial anger that didn't exist in the mid-1800's.  Its important to understand where your information is coming from and if there's inherent bias.  You should consider conducting your own research involving primary sources rather than trusting the first link you find via a Google search.  Here's a link to raw census data from the period to get your started!" 

Ain't nobody got time for that, Tom! 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

A man can't even post a link without some cracka ass cracka popping off about "the Root interprets everything through modern racial anger that didn't exist in the mid-1800's.  Its important to understand where your information is coming from and if there's inherent bias.  You should consider conducting your own research involving primary sources rather than trusting the first link you find via a Google search.  Here's a link to raw census data from the period to get your started!" 

Ain't nobody got time for that, Tom! 

Let me add that I read The Root.  But I do knowing its biases.

27 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Let me add that I read The Root.  But I do knowing its biases.

Let me add that you’re an idiot. 

There’s no way your stats are accurate and you present a non cited, crap, internet article?

Tom, do you even history, bro? I can teach you. 

Im still waiting for your citation on the Jewish kamikazes of the Flavian Amphitheatre. You silly know-nothing.  

Edited by The_Dude