The Trump Economy

GG

13 minutes ago, TPS said:

Is this supposed to mean something?

Related to earlier posts. 

On November 27, 2018 at 3:10 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

They'll keep raising rates into 2019. By mid 2019, the economy will bust - and the Fed will be blamed.

(imo)

On November 27, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

I take your words and others who are better versed in economics on the details such as this. I'm spitballing about the bigger picture/operation for the sake of conversation.

What I'm suggesting is that the Fed and the central banking system as a whole is being targeted for restructuring/reform/obliteration by this administration. Trump appointed his guy to the Fed and now is "shocked" the Fed is continuing to raise rates despite Trump believing prior to the appointment it wouldn't happen. That's a lie (from Trump). Trump knew exactly what Powell was going to do, and wants him to do it. Everyone's going to need to take a haircut, and it's going to hurt, but Trump's administration wants to direct that outrage to the Fed rather than to the Oval. 

The silver lining to the plan is more people than ever are aware of the Fed and the shadiness attached to it. Those numbers will grow through the rest of the year and 2019 as Trump and others in the media will continue to point their fingers at the fed for causing problems. 

(Once Mueller is behind us, this will become a focal point for the administration)

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

that's some weak sauce there DR...you know that

The Fed is not our friend. Regardless of political affiliations. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

A private purchase of stock between two individuals away from the market isn't a wash sale.  And even if it were, a wash sale isn't illegal.  It complicates the tax accounting...but complicated tax accounting isn't illegal.

No good point.  That's what I get for responding before my coffee.  Yes you lose the ability to take advantage of the tax loss selling but it's not illegal.  

54 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Related to earlier posts. 

The Fed is not our friend. Regardless of political affiliations. 

Regarding the first post--your prediction, that is essentially what I predicted back in January based on the tax cuts. It's good to have a semi-independent Fed to have someone to blame a recession on. 

As I've stated before, cutting taxes near the peak of an expansion is an interesting experiment in this era of weak bargaining power of labor relative to increasingly concentrated industries. If you're not going to raise the minimum  wage, then the only way for Trump to help (the majority of) his base is to push the Fed to let the expansion continue when unemployment is already at historical lows--it's the only other way to strengthen workers' wage-bargaining power.    

I'm not sure I've ever stated this in one place, but the two things I liked about Trump's so-called platform was his view on ME wars, and his views on trade. He may be an ####### of a human being, but I am happy to see him take on the war machine and those who use the argument of "free trade" to push policies that have helped decimate the working class.

• Like (+1) 1

STOCKS ROAR BACK
Still one day swings don't mean a thing no matter which way they go....

How many people's hearts sank when they saw the Dow went up 1,000 points because they really hoped Trump had plunged us into a bear market that would cause GOP legislators to turn on him and support removal after impeachment?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Headline driven news. Point changes mean nothing. It’s percent that actually means something. Ten years ago a 5% gain would have been a “measly” 350 points. 

And I love it when it drops a lot it’s a BLOODBATH when it goes up a REAL lot it’s volatile. 

2 hours ago, B-Man said:
STOCKS ROAR BACK
Still one day swings don't mean a thing no matter which way they go....

One year swing really shouldn’t mean a thing. Unless of course you’re my client who asks me to ratchet down the risk of her portfolio this morning and calls me at the close with a WTF?!?!  I love when my 72 year old female client drops an F-bomb on me. LOL. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Again, good thing no one cares what you think, assface. 

Care to post the graph of interest rate increases in Canada in the last year? Could it be that the economy was doing spectacularly well or is everything a conspiracy theory by some shadowy people pulling strings from their yachts ?

28 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Again, good thing no one cares what you think, assface. 

Thanks for the payment. The Deep State algorithms don’t need replies to quote my content. I get paid based on the timing between my post and the content posted  within 10 minutes. Chelsea Clinton passed the new payment rules in consultation with Warren Buffett. It was all in the notes at the Bush funeral. Jeb made a face because he never gets responses when he posts on the Texas Rangers boards. 

16 minutes ago, meazza said:

Care to post the graph of interest rate increases in Canada in the last year? Could it be that the economy was doing spectacularly well or is everything a conspiracy theory by some shadowy people pulling strings from their yachts ?

Jho Lo is all part of this. 

Edited by BeginnersMind