The Trump Economy

GG

And by the way, it is curious why the accusation of the Trump trade policies, which are whined about repeatedly here as being anti growth, anti economic activity and therefore anti inflationary, are not mentioned in the same discussion.

Perhaps its a bit disingenuous to complain about minor, healthy, justified stimulus without mentioning minor, unhealthy, justified anti stimulus.

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Are you completely incapable of considering that your views are foolish?

A very minor and justified tax adjustment is a very minor stimulus.

It was something that the Fed would never consider as a stand alone policy to increase the rates they control, which are minor by the way.

You are apparently unaware of what they use and how they use that criteria to execute their mandate.

All that aside, a more healthy, growing economy, which is generating wage growth above inflation, a point I made earlier and which you have, seemingly, disregarded, is good for everybody.

Your point is akin to stating that a reduction in body temperature and flu symptoms for one suffering from that is a bad thing, 'cause it increases the likelihood they might get out of bed and get into an accident.

Here's a clue. A slow growing economy with a healthy demand for capital is a good thing.

Economic activity has far more impact on fed tax revenue than minor, justified, adjustments to taxes.

It also makes for a happier populace, at least the sane ones.

You are just making excuses for the tax policy we did not need.  You are making the partisan arguments. 

You consider Trump's tax cuts minor? Really? So Trump is lying when he said it was biggest ever and provided an economic miracle? You can't answer those questions,  of course. 

Ok, so they had little effect on the economy then, is that what you are now saying? If you think they were very minor stimulus, then there is no way they could have done much of anything. Fine. But they sure are busting the budget, aren't they? 

I disagree these were tiny tax cuts, they juiced the economy short term, burst the budget and have pushed interest rates higher. Did you look at the links I provided? The Conservative Tax Foundation agreed with me. Do you not look at things that contradict your feelings on issues? https://taxfoundation.org/tax-reform-bill-interest-rates/ <----------Conservatives 

To review: The tax cuts accelerated the rate increase. The rich got the tax cuts and we all got higher interest rates. Robbing Peter to pay Paul 

26 minutes ago, sherpa said:

And by the way, it is curious why the accusation of the Trump trade policies, which are whined about repeatedly here as being anti growth, anti economic activity and therefore anti inflationary, are not mentioned in the same discussion.

Perhaps its a bit disingenuous to complain about minor, healthy, justified stimulus without mentioning minor, unhealthy, justified anti stimulus.

How are tariffs "Anti-Inflationary"?? Do you know what you are talking about? If people have to pay for the more expensive goods, or higher taxed goods--tariffed goods--then that is inflationary. Higher steel and aluminum prices make cars cost more, for example. 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How are tariffs "Anti-Inflationary"?? Do you know what you are talking about? If people have to pay for the more expensive goods, or higher taxed goods--tariffed goods--then that is inflationary. Higher steel and aluminum prices make cars cost more, for example. 

You are clearly ill-informed.

Tariffs diminish trade activity.

Diminished trade activity is counter inflationary, and in and of itself, would lead to reduced demand for capital, and thus lower interest rates.

You are over the cliff.

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

You are clearly ill-informed.

Tariffs diminish trade activity.

Diminished trade activity is counter inflationary, and in and of itself, would lead to reduced demand for capital, and thus lower interest rates.

You are over the cliff.

They make goods cost more. That's inflationary. 

17 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Image result for monkey trying to work gif

You don't know anything about what is being discussed, you idiot 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

They make goods cost more. That's inflationary. 

Goodness.

Tell me how Smoot-Hawley caused inflation.

If you aren't familiar with that tariff, I suggest you look at the 1930 time frame, and the economic decade that followed.

You really get this, don't you?

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Goodness.

If you aren't familiar with that tariff, I suggest you look at the 1930 time frame, and the economic decade that followed.

Bad example. That tariff took place in the middle of a massive deflationary episode, prices were falling because no one was buying anything. Farm prices were hurt by overproduction and made it so farmers could not buy the industrially produced goods. The Great Depression was already under way. In our healthy consumer consumption period, tariffs are raising prices. Here's a link for you: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/metal-tariffs-are-pushing-up-us-consumer-prices-2018-8

But I agree Smoot Hawley did hurt trade. You need to learn about context, though. Superficial knowledge misapplied is worse than knowing nothing. 

27 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This thread is making me dumber.

Impossible. You read and believe the garbage DR posts. You are as dumb as one can get 

18 hours ago, sherpa said:

Goodness.

Almost all business taxes are passed along as a "cost" and therefore influence the price of goods. You are conflating a demand-side collapse with tariffs. The US economy was already collapsing when S-H was passed in summer of 1930.