The Trump Economy

GG

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Cmon dude, why you take the "irrefutable" away? And also, thought you and KOKO were arguing trade with EVERYONE, not just China. So what are we arguing here?

China is still the # 2 economy in the world, with 4x the amount of people. And guess what every 5-year strategic plan for every freaking US based company includes...expanding business in APAC cause there is so much room for growth. Again, trade with China needs to be addressed..but its not cheap goods we need to worry about..(you yourself claimed your love for cheap goods and Walmart just the other day)..it is how do we get to sell our real advantage over China..our services based on our brain power..how do we get THAT to be on an equal playing field. Tell me how a tariff war impacts that!!!! Yall forget that country and regime can live with some real pain..US cannot.

And what the hell does surpassing us culturally even mean? 

:lol:

Willful blindness. Just how long do you think China will remain the #2 economy? How long until they parlay their strong economy into a military that outmatches ours? Do you honestly believe they can be entrusted with being a good global citizen and won't pursue their national interests?

The fact of the matter is, and it's one that history teaches us VERY clearly, that an ascendant economic power ALWAYS becomes a military power, and almost always leads to war with whoever used to be the dominant power. See 1914 for a preview. The sad thing is, this could have been prevented. Ever since trade was supposedly opened up with china, we've been sold the pipe dream that American companies will now be able to grow and profit within China. Hasn't happened, and probably never will. What happened instead, is the Chinese smartly made agreements with our corporations where we had to provide them with technical knowledge and got NOTHING in return.

Now they just do **** better than us, and not only in cheap junk.

Hooray free trade. As far as the cultural thing goes, ever notice when you go to the movies just how many are now produced by Chinese companies?

As far as Europe goes, again, if tarriffs were even on all categories, or eliminated totally, that's one thing. But the Euros are protective of certain industries, and lock us out of many markets. It's not exactly "free trade" with them, either.

Edited by joesixpack
  • Like (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As devised by Trump  it's a trade war; from the most recently departed POTUS it would be characterized as a keenly devised attempt to reposition the US in a more favorable position among the world's trading nations.

On 7/2/2018 at 3:00 PM, ALF said:

GM warns on car tariffs: Customers will feel impact

German automakers are said to be urging the Trump administration and the EU to set car tariffs to 0%. The U.S. currently charges a 2.5% tariff on EU cars, while the EU’s tariff on American vehicles is 10%.

“Moreover, it is likely that some of the vehicles that will be hardest hit by tariff-driven price increases—in the thousands of dollars—are often purchased by customers who can least afford to absorb a higher vehicle price point.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/gm-warns-on-car-tariffs-customers-will-feel-impact

https://www.buick.com/build-and-price

From your linky - GM says they assemble the Cascada in Poland - from my linky WITH the 2.5% US tariff it runs about $33,000 to $37,000.

They say the Regal is made in Germany and it currently runs from $29,000 to about $37,000.

The Cascada would run about $35,500 to $39,700 and the Regal would run about $31,200 with a 10% US tariff. 

I'm certain there are millions and millions of Americans who won't be able to buy or lease a new Cascada or Regal at those exorbitant new prices.

Those car examples are way over my pension budget . A lot of retired baby boomers are more in a Chevy Cruze like me.

Cars and trucks assembled in the US will be harder hit by the tariff on aluminum and steel.

26 minutes ago, ALF said:

Those car examples are way over my pension budget . A lot of retired baby boomers are more in a Chevy Cruze like me.

Cars and trucks assembled in the US will be harder hit by the tariff on aluminum and steel.

Please Alf, get a grip. Pennies. Pennies. 

Analysts predict that the US steel levies will add $300.00 to the cost of a car in the US showrooms. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/steel-aluminum-tariffs-could-raise-car-prices-by-300-1520867757

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ALF said:

Living wage jobs with medical coverage are still a reasonable goal to me.

You're concerned with trade wars, tariffs, and deficit reduction yet you support a living wage?

:huh:

it's probably nothing but... i sit up and take notice when things like this happen.

oil has settled over 7% down on the day. that would be oil's largest drop since Feb 2016.

Edited by Foxx

2 hours ago, GG said:

My mistake for thinking you were having a real discussion.

Will never happen again

That is what your mother said, Trebek!!!!’

hahahahaha!!!!!

Oh wait, what special insight do you have on the appeal for the merger?  We are all waiting....

Edited by row_33

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Foxx said:

it's probably nothing but... i sit up and take notice when things like this happen.

oil has settled over 7% down on the day. that would be oil's largest drop since Feb 2016.

Saudi Arabia increased their production substantially to keep prices from shooting up.

Strong retail sales report suggests robust economic growth in the second quarter

• U.S. retail sales rose solidly in June, boosted by increases in purchases of motor vehicles and a range of other goods.
• The Commerce Department said on Monday retail sales increased 0.5 percent last month.
• Data for May was revised higher to show sales rising 1.3 percent instead of the previously reported 0.8 percent gain. May's rise in retail sales was the largest since September 2017.

• Like (+1) 2