The Trump Economy

GG

3 hours ago, Magox said:

There is no one that can reasonably make the argument that Trumps policies aren't better for the economy than Obama's.  Trump has been good for the economy, so much so that despite how much I dislike the man i ma6 vote for him

Clearly, our economy is strong overall. And Trump will, rightly, make that the theme on Tuesday.  How much of that is due to Trump’s policies is subject to debate.

And of course, when the heart of your economic policy is cutting corporate tax rates and deregulation, that is going to stimulate GDP.  That’s the conservative bread & butter that Gives Paul Ryan wet dreams.

It’s great to know that the USA still has a great engine for making wealth.  The greater discussion should include how that wealth gets shared among all Americans.  It’s no secret that real wages for the middle class have been stagnating for decades and that the concentration of wealth among the very top of that table is problematic.

The trend of some big companies lately making public commitments to raising salaries & giving bonuses is a positive sign.  I’d like to see some attention paid to that as something of a national priority.

Edited by Cugalabanza

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growth Across the Globe

For the first time since the financial crisis a decade ago, all of the world’s major economies are growing.

globalecon-600.png

Trump sure got lucky. All our trading partners are doing great. Obama had to deal with bad economies all over the world and that hurt us. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/business/its-not-a-roar-but-the-global-economy-is-finally-making-noise.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbusiness&action=click&contentCollection=business&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=9&pgtype=sectionfront

On 1/23/2018 at 7:22 AM, GG said:

I'd disagree with high speed internet and public transit (commuter lines)  

Internet is too capital intensive, and inherently is not a local infrastructure issue.  Fed money was necessary for rural electrification and phone connections.  Same concept should apply to broadband.  

Commuter public transit should be in the same bucket as airports and roads.  

Plans for 5G Network... public or private? 

Edited by Nanker
linky thingy

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Growth Across the Globe

For the first time since the financial crisis a decade ago, all of the world’s major economies are growing.

globalecon-600.png

Trump sure got lucky. All our trading partners are doing great. Obama had to deal with bad economies all over the world and that hurt us. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/business/its-not-a-roar-but-the-global-economy-is-finally-making-noise.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbusiness&action=click&contentCollection=business&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=9&pgtype=sectionfront

There was a President Bill Clinton who had lucky timing too.

8 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

There was a President Bill Clinton who had lucky timing too.

The way the libs are destroying Clinton's reputation, every single essay and thinktank piece I read,  he will soon be seen as a conservative President.

12 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

Clearly, our economy is strong overall. And Trump will, rightly, make that the theme on Tuesday.  How much of that is due to Trump’s policies is subject to debate.

And of course, when the heart of your economic policy is cutting corporate tax rates and deregulation, that is going to stimulate GDP.  That’s the conservative bread & butter that Gives Paul Ryan wet dreams.

It’s great to know that the USA still has a great engine for making wealth.  The greater discussion should include how that wealth gets shared among all Americans.  It’s no secret that real wages for the middle class have been stagnating for decades and that the concentration of wealth among the very top of that table is problematic.

The trend of some big companies lately making public commitments to raising salaries & giving bonuses is a positive sign.  I’d like to see some attention paid to that as something of a national priority.

How money gets shared is up to individuals and companies that pay wages, correct?  It's not a role for the government.

Wealthy people generally have earned their wealth.  Good for them. 

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, that makes up for the extra 235 jobs Carrier is sending to Mexico?

Those mere breadcrumbs are not sufficient. Trump must be impeached now, before all of America is flooded with a deadly tsunami of investment capital!

52 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

So much for the theory that tariffs don't work.

Free trade is a lie when our nation is the only one that adheres to it.

Edited by joesixpack
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So much for the theory that tariffs don't work.

Free trade is a lie.

depends on the strength of the sides and other large variables that shift over time, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't....

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

depends on the strength of the sides and other large variables that shift over time, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't....

The problem with it is, the countries on the OTHER end of "free trade" agreements don't adhere to them. Looking at YOU, China and EU.

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

The problem with it is, the countries on the OTHER end of "free trade" agreements don't adhere to them. Looking at YOU, China and EU.

I'm in Canada, not much more for this realist to have to be surprised about in a Free Trade Pact with a country 10x better in almost every category...

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I'm in Canada, not much more for this realist to have to be surprised about in a Free Trade Pact with a country 10x better in almost every category...

I think Canada is probably the ONE free trade partner we have that's legitimately interested in free trade, and adheres to it.

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I think Canada is probably the ONE free trade partner we have that's legitimately interested in free trade, and adheres to it.

when we are smart we accept the kindness the US throws us and try not to get too pushy if it goes a bit hurtful