What if every one-score game went the other way?

Saw this on Reddit today. Someone flipped the results of every 1-score game in 2016 to see how that would affect standings.

Interesting to see how that would have worked out for the Bills....

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/5oongv/what_if_every_onescore_2016_nfl_game_went_the/

I'm probably wasting valuable offseason content, but I decided to see how much of a difference it'd make if all W/Ls from one-score (7 points or less margin) were reversed in outcome. All teams listed by the amount of wins they'd gain/lose. Mostly did this since pundits like Bill Barnwell frequently say that NFL teams tend to win 50% of their one-score games in the longrun, and I feel like this illustrates how different the postseason would be if the coinflips went differently.

Chargers +7 – 12-4

Bills + 6 – 13-3

Jaguars +6 – 9-7

Eagles +5 – 12-4

Bears +5 – 8-8

Panthers +5 – 11-5

49ers +4 – 6-10

Browns +4 - 5-11

Bengals +4 – 10-5-1

Saints +3 – 10-6

Cardinals +3 – 10-5-1

Vikings +2 – 10-6

Jets +1 – 6-10

Rams +1 – 5-11

Broncos +1 – 10-6

Falcons 0 – 11-5

Packers -1 – 9-7

Ravens -1 – 7-9

Colts -1 – 7-9

Titans -1 - 8-8

Seahawks -1 – 9-6-1

Buccs -2 – 7-9

Steelers -2 – 9-7

Redskins -2 – 6-9-1

Patriots -3 – 11-5

Lions -3 – 6-10

Chiefs -3 – 9-7

Giants -5 – 6-10

Cowboys -5 – 8-8

Dolphins -6 – 4-12

Texans -6 – 3-13

Raiders -7 – 5-11

AFC Playoff seeds would be

1: Bills

2: Chargers

3: Bengals

4: Jaguars

5: Patriots

6: Broncos

Honestly not sure about tiebreakers for the NFC South

NFC Playoff Seeds would be

1: Eagles

2: Falcons/Panthers

3: Cardinals

4: Vikings

5: Panthers/Falcons

6: Saints

Divisions

NFC West - Cardinals 10-5-1, Seahawks 9-6-1, 49ers 6-10, Rams 5-11

NFC East - Eagles 12-4, Cowboys 8-8, Giants 6-10, Redskins 6-9-1,

NFC North - Vikings 10-6, Packers 9-7, Bears 8-8, Lions 6-10

NFC South - Falcons 11-5, Panthers 11-5, Saints 10-6, Buccs 7-9

AFC West - Chargers 12-4, Broncos 10-6, Chiefs 9-7, Raiders 5-11

AFC East - Bills 13-3, Patriots 11-5, Jets 6-10, Dolphins 4-12

AFC North - Bengals 10-5-1 Steelers 9-7, Ravens 7-9, Browns 5-11

AFC South - Jaguars 9-7, Titans 8-8, Colts 7-9, Texans 3-13

Go Bills?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good teams find ways to win close games. Bad teams do not. It's really that simple.

BUT...its more than that...sometimes teams just capture some type of in-season magic that is never duplicated again...

The 15-1 Panthers from 2 years ago...this year's Raiders....this year's Dolphins...that 13-3 Bears Team under Jauron, that "Cardiac Pack" team under Don Majkowski back in the day...

Coming back constantly in the 4th quarter is NOT something that can be consistently counted on season after season...look at what happened to the Panthers this year...a lot of the same players, but different results. Dolphins and Raiders are likely set up for falls next year in similar games...eventually you simply trend back towards the mean in these situations and games that you won a season ago start becoming losses.

Edited by matter2003

BUT...its more than that...sometimes teams just capture some type of in-season magic that is never duplicated again...

The 15-1 Panthers from 2 years ago...this year's Raiders....this year's Dolphins...that 13-3 Bears Team under Jauron, that "Cardiac Pack" team under Don Majkowski back in the day...

Coming back constantly in the 4th quarter is NOT something that can be consistently counted on season after season...look at what happened to the Panthers this year...a lot of the same players, but different results. Dolphins and Raiders are likely set up for falls next year in similar games...eventually you simply trend back towards the mean in these situations and games that you won a season ago start becoming losses.

Well stated. I agreed with Whaley that "we're close". But new HC, new OC, new DC, and possibly new QB is not close - its a tear it down and rebuild approach. Confusing off season so far. Edited by bobobonators

There are always outliers, but for the most part good teams win close games. Good teams have good QBs who can get you that game winning drive. Good teams have good coaches who can manage the clock and allow that drive to take place. Good teams have fewer stupid key penalties which keep the opposition in the game.

I think you'd really have to analyze each game to see whether they are really "1 score" games. There are a lot of TDs that are scored during garbage time where the team with a 2+ score lead is allowing the other team to move the ball and even score to eat up clock. My feeling is that several of the Bills' 1-score games ended up like that. Bills-Jets (1) the Bills scored with 1:22 remaining. Bill-Dolphins (1) same story. Bills-Steelers same story.

Get rid of garbage time scores and I think that stat doesn't really add up because teams that are leading will let you move/score to eat up clock. Statistically, their odds of winning the game are better when they let you do that.

Look at the teams at the top in the alternative universe.

Mostly bad/crap teams.

The experiment just shows what was said up-thread; bad teams lose the close ones. Good teams perform when necessary to win the close ones.

That's not a "coin toss" result as suggested by the author.

That's a "good beats bad in close games" result.

I think you'd really have to analyze each game to see whether they are really "1 score" games. There are a lot of TDs that are scored during garbage time where the team with a 2+ score lead is allowing the other team to move the ball and even score to eat up clock. My feeling is that several of the Bills' 1-score games ended up like that. Bills-Jets (1) the Bills scored with 1:22 remaining. Bill-Dolphins (1) same story. Bills-Steelers same story.

Get rid of garbage time scores and I think that stat doesn't really add up because teams that are leading will let you move/score to eat up clock. Statistically, their odds of winning the game are better when they let you do that.

Exactly

There are always outliers, but for the most part good teams win close games. Good teams have good QBs who can get you that game winning drive. Good teams have good coaches who can manage the clock and allow that drive to take place. Good teams have fewer stupid key penalties which keep the opposition in the game.

By any definition, the Dolphins were NOT a good team this year. Advanced Metrics, actual statistics, net points, team rankings...all were below to far below average...that team did FAR better than what could have been expected from them.

Mostly bad/crap teams.

The experiment just shows what was said up-thread; bad teams lose the close ones. Good teams perform when necessary to win the close ones.

Look at the bottom of this new list though.

Texans, Raiders, Dolphins. All "playoff" teams, but teams that didn't really belong in the playoffs.

Look at the bottom of this new list though.

Texans, Raiders, Dolphins. All "playoff" teams, but teams that didn't really belong in the playoffs.

Texans made it due to their weak division and defense...Dolphins...well, I'm still scratching my head on that one...this is one where analyzing statistics and advanced metrics all fail to explain how they could be a playoff team

I just thought it was funny/interesting that when a 3rd party does a "what would Opposite World look like?", of course the Bills are the best in the league.

In opposite world we're probably freaking perennial AFC Champions, multiple Super Bowl winners! (Though maybe in opposite world we'd want to win the Pro Bowl? Not sure on that part).

Also, we'd all be like "Hellllllo Vargas!"

hqdefault.jpg

Mostly bad/crap teams.

Exactly. Just another way of validating th adage "You are what your record says you are."