Doesn't Whaley have to retain Taylor?

Mikie2times

I don't think Rex was fired for not making the playoffs. He was fired for to many times either 10 or 12 men on the field, too many dumb penalties, constant boosting (which TP is the polar opposite of) hiring Rob, and other similar things. Even if he had come back another season and went 11-5., likely these things wouldn't have gone away. Granted one or two games on the other way, they may have been in playoffs, would he still have canned him who knows, but not likely these thingas would have gone away if he had made the playoffs either. In a way not making the playoffs, made it easier for TP.

The media consensus at this point last year was that Rex was done if he didn't make the playoffs.

Did you see it that way too?

I think there is plenty of smoke to the Whaley situation.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Rex was fired for not making the playoffs. He was fired for to many times either 10 or 12 men on the field, too many dumb penalties, constant boosting (which TP is the polar opposite of) hiring Rob, and other similar things. Even if he had come back another season and went 11-5., likely these things wouldn't have gone away. Granted one or two games on the other way, they may have been in playoffs, would he still have canned him who knows, but not likely these thingas would have gone away if he had made the playoffs either. In a way not making the playoffs, made it easier for TP.

They made a new rule this year. You can talk your way out of ultimatums. I think it was Obama that forced the law on it.

Rex just couldn't talk his way out of it the way the wizard communicator Doug Whaley did.

You're assuming there was an ultimatum. Other than the press creating one, not sure it ever existed for either. Either way personally don'tthink that was what got Rex fired. It was all the baggage that went with him that did him in.

They made a new rule this year. You can talk your way out of ultimatums. I think it was Obama that forced the law on it.

Rex just couldn't talk his way out of it the way the wizard communicator Doug Whaley did.

The point is that it then happened so the call was right.

You're assuming there was an ultimatum. Other than the press creating one, not sure it ever existed for either. Either way personally don'tthink that was what got Rex fired. It was all the baggage that went with him that did him in.

No, I agree with you. I was ridiculing the few posters on here that were insisting that there was some playoff ultimatum but somehow Whaley talked his way out of it. To me that was nonsense.

No. If the call was right, Whaley would have been fired.

The media consensus at this point last year was that Rex was done if he didn't make the playoffs.

Did you see it that way too?

I think there is plenty of smoke to the Whaley situation.

I did on Rex. I just don't see the Whaley situation as comparable. If his ice was that thin why not fire him now?

I suspect he has a longer leash than you believe. Not saying he should. But I think he does.

I can't wait to see Taylor take his new team to the playoffs.

Hope that's not the case and they keep TT. If the defense improves even modestly and the O stays the same with the same point production. We'll make the playoffs. Maybe with different coaching they can teach TT to read a second receiver and seam route

I did on Rex. I just don't see the Whaley situation as comparable. If his ice was that thin why not fire him now?

I suspect he has a longer leash than you believe. Not saying he should. But I think he does.

I suspect both of you underrate the "fan" in the Pegula's.

They are green as grass and NFL owners.

I was beyond a doubt certain Rex would be gone.

Whaley I thought would get another chance because:

1) He didn't choose Rex

2) The team is too close to the playoffs to do a complete turnover at this time

That said.......I don't think they can be impressed with his work......quarterback aside he's been average.......but he's done nothing to help the team find a QB in 7 years in a key personnel role.

He doesn't like Taylor........but without Taylor it's hard to see how the team wins more than 4-6 games the past two seasons.........and he'd likely be toast if that had happened.

I think the Pegula's have shown that they feel similar to the general public and the general public thinks Whaley is on VERY thin ice.

If the team disappoints next year......he's gone.

I actually would NOT be surprised if he stepped down after the draft.

I suspect both of you underrate the "fan" in the Pegula's.

They are green as grass and NFL owners.

I was beyond a doubt certain Rex would be gone.

Whaley I thought would get another chance because:

1) He didn't choose Rex

2) The team is too close to the playoffs to do a complete turnover at this time

That said.......I don't think they can be impressed with his work......quarterback aside he's been average.......but he's done nothing to help the team find a QB in 7 years in a key personnel role.

He doesn't like Taylor........but without Taylor it's hard to see how the team wins more than 4-6 games the past two seasons.........and he'd likely be toast if that had happened.

I think the Pegula's have shown that they feel similar to the general public and the general public thinks Whaley is on VERY thin ice.

If the team disappoints next year......he's gone.

I actually would NOT be surprised if he stepped down after the draft.

I agree with most of that. That has zero to do with whether or not Pegula issued a playoffs or else ultimatum to Whaley and Rex, which is what the press reported and you refered to.

I agree with most of that. That has zero to do with whether or not Pegula issued a playoffs or else ultimatum to Whaley and Rex, which is what the press reported and you refered to.

No it was not.

I said the general consensus.......not Vic's report.

No it was not.

I said the general consensus.......not Vic's report.

You said the general consensus of the media was that there was an ultimatum. That allows you to play both sides, which is bullschitt. If someone calls you on it you say I never said I agreed that there was one. I just said they said there was. If it was general consensus but you didn't believe there was one, why would you say that as a point that mattered? You do that a lot. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yes Tyrod was a Rex call.

How do you know this? How did it go down? Did Doug not want him, but Rex overruled him somehow? How would that even work?

I don't doubt that Rex wanted Hotrod, by I suspect Doug agreed at least. I mean, he's the GM. How does someone get on the team if the GM doesn't want him?

So that fact that he was fired mean the media was correct, there was an ultimatum? Wow OK, Great thinking!

OK wasn't sure if that was sarcasm or not??

No, I agree with you. I was ridiculing the few posters on here that were insisting that there was some playoff ultimatum but somehow Whaley talked his way out of it. To me that was nonsense.

You said the general consensus of the media was that there was an ultimatum. That allows you to play both sides, which is bullschitt. If someone calls you on it you say I never said I agreed that there was one. I just said they said there was. If it was general consensus but you didn't believe there was one, why would you say that as a point that mattered? You do that a lot.

I never said anything about an "ultimatum" being issued.

I said the general consensus among the media was he was going to have to get to the playoffs or be fired.

Again......I said nothing about Vic's ultimatum.......the issue was that Rex poor coaching work in 2015 was so blatantly obvious that he was going to have to produce or be gone.

It was a general feeling based on the egregious nature of Rex failure.

Whether Pegula's called Rex and Whaley to a meeting and directly said "win or you're fired" is irrelevant.

If it did happen........that directly or just more vaguely along the lines of "we gotta' improve this is unacceptable"......when you put employees on group notice like that they typically try to separate themselves from the issue.

I don't think some of you would view "this is unacceptable" as an ultimatum but perhaps Vic, his source and Rex and/or Whaley felt it essentially was.

I believe the fact that Doug sits with Pegula's during the games he has had an opportunity to show himself as "like minded".

K-9 implied exactly that wrt Rex decision to punt in OT versus Dolphins.

You recall that conversation?

My guess is that Pegula's were down on Taylor for much of the season.........many fans were...........and Whaley was as well.

But after further review I think the Pegula's likely realize that he was pretty productive.

I'm not sure Whaley has the luxury of changing his mind without looking indecisive at this point, fwiw.

I don't underestimate the fan in the Pegulas. I think that is what makes them unpredictable as owners.

The difference I see on Rex and Whaley is that I believe they almost fired Rex at the end of last year and from that point I think he always needed a playoff appearance to survive beyond year 2.

I think there is a chance Whaley goes after next season - because they are instinctive fan like owners - but I don't think that is their thinking right now.

That is how I think it is different.

Drafting a QB won't buy him more time. He's on thin ice.

If so, it's probably more media related than football related. That's a bad way to decide, but it could happen. He can stock the player cupboard pretty well. QB's are hard to come by, and Tyrod doesn't suck.