Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't shown nearly enough to even get considered.

Yes, if you like doing what everyone else is doing. I would rather beat teams to the punch. Cooter is known in NFL circles as a top offensive mind and he will be the "hot" candidate soon. Cooter was Peyton Manning's choice for OC over Adam Gase. Cooter is a QB guru and would bring Buffalo a top offensive system designed around our pieces along with his ability to help the QB we target and draft.

These our more important qualities, QB system and development, than 4-3 Cover 2 coach that hands off his defense to Tampa 2 Frazier.

I was open to McDermott but his hiring of Leslie Frazier and the targeting of Greg Olson shows he is either incompetent or lost in time. I would rather hire someone that knows the future of the NFL and is ahead of the curve, not behind it.

Edited by jeffismagic

Yes, if you like doing what everyone else is doing. I would rather beat teams to the punch. Cooter is known in NFL circles as a top offensive mind and he will be the "hot" candidate soon. Cooter was Peyton Manning's choice for OC over Adam Gase. Cooter is a QB guru and would bring Buffalo a top offensive system designed around our pieces along with his ability to help the QB we target and draft.

These our more important qualities, QB system and development, than 4-3 Cover 2 coach that hands off his defense to Tampa 2 Frazier.

The good old hot candidate theory. That works every time doesn't it.

The good old hot candidate theory. That works every time doesn't it.

It worked out ok for Miami. It worked out ok for Atlanta. I don't get what your point is. I am not advocating we do what everyone else is doing. I want the next Gruden or Reid before everyone knows who they are.

This can be done but this would require more imagination than anyone in the current Bills FO.

Edited by jeffismagic

I was open to McDermott but his hiring of Leslie Frazier and the targeting of Greg Olson shows he is either incompetent or lost in time. I would rather hire someone that knows the future of the NFL and is ahead of the curve, not behind it.

The Lions offense didn't even improve all that much if at all under Cooter than it did under Joe Lombardi. Extremely overrated.

Here is a look at Greg Olson speaking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zrKrnjq3U

He has experience running an offense with a mobile QB. Maybe Olson is all aboard the Tyrod Train.

The Lions offense didn't even improve all that much if at all under Cooter than it did under Joe Lombardi. Extremely overrated.

Here is a look at Greg Olson speaking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zrKrnjq3U

Wins improved, 4th QB comebacks, QB efficiency.

http://det.247sports.com/Bolt/Lions-biggest-regret-in-15-Not-promoting-Jim-Bob-Cooter-sooner-46155152

Here's what he wrote specifically about why the Lions should have regrets here:

"Detroit clearly looked like the worst team in the NFL to begin last season, ranking 29th in points and 32nd in turnovers after seven games. They fired offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and promoted Cooter, winning six of their last eight games with an improved and balanced offensive attack."

It's hard to argue how good the Lions looked in the second half with nothing but a simple scheme change, and the team -- including quarterback Matthew Stafford -- certainly looked more comfortable under Cooter's tutlage down the stretch. If Detroit had made the change a bit sooner, would they have ended up making the playoffs?

Edited by jeffismagic

Wins improved, 4th QB comebacks, QB efficiency.

Congrats to Stafford. Would he come with Cooter?

2015 DVOA Offense: #13

2016 DVOA Offense: #15

If you prefer total offense...

2015 Total Offense: #20 (#18 yards per play)

2016 Total Offense: #21 (#17 yards per play)

I don't see much difference there. One could easily argue that the offense actually regressed under Cooter.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

I don't see much difference there. One could easily argue that the offense actually regressed under Cooter.

Did you know he took over in 2015?

While it's way too early to call McDermott a failure, I basically agree with all of this.

There should have been a focus on building a coaching staff that is QB-centric. As it stands, we can't even find an OC.

We're bringing in most of Fisher's failed staff, basically a Greggo reboot. Hiring OL and TE coaches before we even have an OC.

Not a good look for the new staff.

While it's way too early to call McDermott a failure, I basically agree with all of this.

There should have been a focus on building a coaching staff that is QB-centric. As it stands, we can't even find an OC.

We're bringing in most of Fisher's failed staff, basically a Greggo reboot. Hiring OL and TE coaches before we even have an OC.

I agree. Might be time to remove the "In Doug I Trust" motto from the end of your signature...

I'm not calling McDermott a failure. Olson hasn't been hired yet. But the Leslie Frazier hiring was a big red flag and the Olson business is a burning building.

Whaley ignores QB so it makes sense that he would interview guys that also have no clue or have a sense of urgency on it.

TE coach, DL coach.

Hey OC and QB coaches are your two most important hires mcD!

Edited by jeffismagic

Cooter was the OC for half of 2015 too.

Acquire a QB prospect who can be developed into a good to excellent starter and watch how smart/innovative the OC that they hire becomes.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

How is the Frazier hiring a red flag? And what makes anyone think Billy Joe Jim Bob Cooter is ready to be a HC?

I won't derail the topic anymore on Cooter. Basically he has the qualities I would want in head coach. Defensive systems depends more on raw talent than offense.

I believe the QB position is the most important on the field and the the new NFL is based on outscoring people, not bend but don't break Cover 2 schemes.

Frazier could be a good assistant but if he calls the plays they will be predictable and conservative with no pass-rush.

I won't derail the topic anymore on Cooter. Basically he has the qualities I would want in head coach. Defensive systems depends more on raw talent than offense.

I believe the QB position is the most important on the field and the the new NFL is based on outscoring people, not bend but don't break Cover 2 schemes.

Frazier could be a good assistant but if he calls the plays they will be predictable and conservative with no pass-rush.

Frazier will be running McDermott's scheme. He has experience in coaching McDermott's scheme in that it is derived from the Jim Johnson defense.