Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're seriously going to make us start at zero with this conversation? You're going to pretend like TT's unwillingness/inability to make the kind of risky throws necessary to win in the NFL is totally completely brand new to you?

Seriously, because I missed the earlier part of it. But you brought it up, man. I'm just responding to something you said. They were 7th in points, 10th in yards, and had the fewest turnovers in the league going into week 17.

This is simply false - they ranked 19th. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-team-passer-rating

As I say above, he's a generic pro set guy that would look good with a great qb. He's not the sort of guy like Roman or even Chan Gailey, who can occasionally spin silk from a sow's ear because they're not wedded to the conventional approach to offensive coordination. Guys like Olsen are gonna do just fine with Matt Ryan as their qb, but they're gonna fail in a place like Buffalo. That is just so freaking obvious.

Perhaps. The fact that Bortles didn't seem to progress as a QB under Olson is a concern to me though. He was the 3rd pick in the draft and one would assume if we don't go with Tyrod we will similarly be starting a high draft pick. A bit disheartening to see he couldn't make it work with him.

Let me take it out of Buffalo to avoid some of the same debates we have had over and over.

Chicago, with Jay Cutler playing 5 games, Brian Hoyer 5 and Matt Barkley 6 - ranked 15th in total offense. I'd say that exceeds the QB talent wouldn't you?

That is good coaching and coordinating.

No one said it was a great offense. It's about creativity with a limited resource set. Roman and Lynn did a good job in recognizing a limited QB's real strengths. Without question, Olsen ain't that type of coordinator. If he gets hired, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move on to a more conventional QB, and I would certainly expect him to fail. If they go this route, they'll be looking for a new coordinator by 2019.

Please. We all know what posting the rankings is meant to imply.

And I continue to remain exceedingly skeptical of the sudden expertise in this guy's playcalling.

Seriously, because I missed the earlier part of it. But you brought it up, man. I'm just responding to something you said. They were 7th in points, 10th in yards, and had the fewest turnovers in the league going into week 17.

1-8 when their opponent scored more than 20 points. Those rankings mean diddly poo.

TT's inflated rating has been roundly analyzed and accredited to his low attempt volume and aversion to turnovers. It is exceptionally misleading to suggest this ranking reflects the 19th best passing offense.

I don't know your stance on DVOA, but our pass offense ranked 19th in DVOA as well. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

And I continue to remain exceedingly skeptical of the sudden expertise in this guy's playcalling.

Why don't you read what I wrote above? I know enough about Olsen and have seen enough of his offenses to know that he comes from the cookie cutter school of pro-set coordinators. They work great in certain settings. He hasn't proved himself anywhere, though, so he never gets to go to the settings where his style can shine. (Kevin Gilbride sucked in Buffalo and SD, but he got the Giants job because he had PROVED himself in Houston and Jax.) But desperate head coaches don't want to look incompetent by not running a pro-set offense, so he gets hired (usually by the worst franchises in the league at the time: Jax, Oakland) because there ain't anybody else.

Edited by dave mcbride

1-8 when their opponent scored more than 20 points. Those rankings mean diddly poo.

Engage the point. You (fairly) keep asking everyone else to back up claims, but you don't seem willing to respond when the people you're debating do.

Why don't you read what I wrote above? I know enough about Olsen and have seen enough of his offenses to know that he comes from the cookie cutter school of pro-set coordinators. They work great in certain settings. He hasn't proved himself anywhere, though, so he never gets to go to the settings where his style can shine. (Kevin Gilbride sucked in Buffalo and SD, but he got the Giants job because he had PROVED himself in Houston and Jax.) But desperate head coaches don't want to look incompetent by not running a pro-set offense, so he gets hired (usually by the worst franchises in the league at the time: Jax, Oakland) because there ain't anybody else.

Your self-ascribed expertise does not deter my skepticism.

Especially when you want to argue that QB rating tells you everything you need to know about a passing offense.

Engage the point. You (fairly) keep asking everyone else to back up claims, but you don't seem willing to respond when the people you're debating do.

Where can I clarify?

Your self-ascribed expertise does not deter my skepticism.

Especially when you want to argue that QB rating tells you everything you need to know about a passing offense.

Where can I clarify?

How about abandoning the constant snark and insults? Seriously - you're a good poster and you make good points, but it's off putting and tedious. Why do you think a pro set coordinator is the way to go? (Please don't insult me by saying that I don't know what I'm talking about). There's an argument for it, and I'd like to hear it, but with reference to the peculiar context that is the Bills' current roster.

Is there anyone we would look at in college who might be interested in making the transition? I mean, at this point I don't see the harm in beating the bushes. You might hit Greg Olson while you are at it.

Our first-time HC has garnered praise for surrounding himself with seeking experienced assistants. If that is indeed is strategy, I don't think this scenario is feasible, though I'm not opposed to it.

Our first-time HC has garnered praise for surrounding himself with seeking experienced assistants. If that is indeed is strategy, I don't think this scenario is feasible, though I'm not opposed to it.

Nice to see you violently closing ranks around the new coaching staff, which you will vehemently defend against any shred of criticism until they too have proven themselves inept - it's the pattern you have followed for every coaching staff I can remember. You're just a pro-management bully.

Why not actually engage Dave's points?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Nice to see you violently closing ranks around the new coaching staff, which you will vehemently defend against any shred of criticism until they too have proven themselves inept - it's the pattern you have followed for every coaching staff I can remember. You're just a pro-management bully.

I think you guys all need a little break from the soap opera.

How about abandoning the constant snark and insults? Seriously - you're a good poster and you make good points, but it's off putting and tedious. Why do you think a pro set coordinator is the way to go? (Please don't insult me by saying that I don't know what I'm talking about). There's an argument for it, and I'd like to hear it, but with reference to the peculiar context that is the Bills' current roster.

We ran mostly pro set under GRo. And with dual threats at RB and with a re-engaged Felton, it complements our personnel. From what Sal tweeted earlier today, Olson is adaptable in his scheme, so I'm not sure why we're worried about what he's run elsewhere.

I don't profess to know what will or won't work. And I'm calling BS on everybody who does namely because we have no f'ing clue who the QB will be.

The only preference I have for any kind of coaching is a guy who is not married to his scheme. For me, this is more important to the offense than the defense because of how personnel can change week to week.

All I care about is we have a guy who makes the opposing defense account for Watkins, Clay and Shady on every play. And I want a quarterback who can read and distribute the ball on time and to a spot.

Players make plays and we don't have the most important player.

You're damn right I'm consistent.

Players make plays and we don't have the most important player.

You're damn right I'm consistent.

No one disagrees with that. No one. Your problem (as I've pointed out to you before) is that you crave simplicity - you need there to be one and only one answer, and you enforce that need with insults and snark. Isn't it possible that it's BOTH the players and the coaches, sometimes?

That defense of Dick Jauron back in the day was classic TBC. Then the inevitable pivot occurred and it was on to defending Gailey and crew.

Edited by BillsVet