Doug Whaley 1-on-1

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just humerous the people giving us this speech are the same people that hired the antithesis in Rex Ryan two years ago.

Why? Why is that funny?

Shouldn't the guy running the day to day be the one to set the tone? Shouldn't we be at the very least intrigued by a HC who embodies organizational change?

Which is it? If you think the people who hired him are losers, why is he taking flack for trying to instill a winning mentality?

Oh. That's right. Everybody in the organization is a boob regardless of what they do. Never mind. Carry on.

Edited by The Big Cat

I dunno - does keeping Tyrod prohibit you from drafting your long-term answer? If there's the guy you really like at 10, you can absolutely pull the trigger.

I mean look at what Philly did, they brought back bradford and signed daniels. Then traded up for Wentz. They purged almost all of their bad contracts in one year and are in much better shape to be competitive in the future.

Don't say we won't because we haven't in the past, its a new owner and a GM who probably feel's he has a bit more freedom. I just hate the idea of going into the draft with no one... we don't pick high enough and i fear the guy we really want isn't there.

I get the impression that Doug Whaley doesn't want to keep Tyrod because he will eat far too much of the cap space to be able to resign all the mediocre talent.

For all the Whaley lovers out there who say he has added more talent to the team over anyone since the playoff days need to recall that no GM has had to pay a franchise QB and still be able to build a viable team to compete in this division. Look who those GM's were, Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix and none had ever been an NFL team general manager... pretty low bar.

What direction is the team going to take in this years draft, free agency? Will the team keep Tyrod Taylor? Will the team draft to rebuild the 4-3 again? Will the QB finally have a full quality receiving corps? Will the RT position ever be upgraded with a quality player? Woods expected to hit an 8.5 mill per. Gilmore expected to hit a 12 mill per. With 24 Bills players hitting free agency and the team will attempt to keep 16 to 18 of them?

It was reported that the new owners gave an ultimatum to both Whaley and Ryan to get this team fixed or both would be fired and yet only one of them is gone. http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/power-struggle-behind-bills-potential-coaching-change/

Gonna be an interesting offseason.

We have a good core group of players. We all agreed the coach was the problem. TT is just one piece of the puzzell. We have other needs. Draft to those needs and if a QB falls to us in the forth or fifth round fine. Use our ten for an excellent "D" player and continue to build. I still like Doug because of his Pittsburg background.

@JohnMurphyShow

.@ChrisBrownBills "This is a team with talent on its roster and the talent hasn't been maximized on the field."

#Bills Insider @ChrisBrownBills "The only thing that has shifted here is the philosophy of the team in Sean McDermott's image."

CHRIS BROWN: "IN SEAN MCDERMOTT'S IMAGE" (38:43)

Chris Brown sat down with the John Murphy Show in-studio to talk about the team's coaching hires and his interview with GM Doug Whaley.

So we hire a focussed, disciplined, faith-based coach to replace Rex Free Love on the Free Love Freeway Ryan and people wonder where this "core values" talk is suddenly coming from?

You don't think the culture is being driven by...oh, I don't know...the HC we all expected to come in and change the culture, do you?

And isn't this the antithesis to what infuriated the Wex Pwomised crowd for two years?

What?

@salmaiorana

I think #Bills GM Doug Whaley was misunderstood regarding a comment he made last week. Your thoughts? http://on.rocne.ws/2jH3dGm
via @DandC

His relationship with the media is in shambles. From now on, he won't be able to speak into a microphone without being "misunderstood." They'll make damn sure of that. Sort of like how they just couldn't find it in themselves to grasp the organizational structure/hierarchy that was in place/reported on/crystal !@#$ing clear two years before they were suddenly dumb to it and--for god only knows why--blaming Whaley for their new found ignorance.

It's just humerous the people giving us this speech are the same people that hired the antithesis in Rex Ryan two years ago.

People do sometimes learn from their mistakes.

Apparently a couple years some folks at OBD thought Rex was the man. They've come to the realization that they were wrong. They assessed how they made their mistake. And now they went after a coach who has some key qualities they felt Rex was missing.

Edited by hondo in seattle

From 'close' to not a 'quick fix':

that's code for....we are moving on from TT and taking our chances....Yep.

Yep. With the 2017 schedule looking much harder than 2016, and a HUGE question mark at QB, look for the Bills to take a big step backwards this coming season.

@viccarucci

#Bills GM Doug Whaley tries to clarify conflicting remarks. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/zHzApxSgYe

"Here's what I said: 'We want to build a foundation that we consistently compete,'" Whaley said during Senior Bowl practices. "And I meant to say it as in, 'We're not one player away from getting over the hump.' We might be one player from getting from 7-9 to 10-6 and making the playoffs, but we want to have a foundation.

"We think we have some good players with a foundation, but we want to build it on that foundation so we can have prolonged success. So we're close, but we want to do it the right way -- to have some young guys and guys that we can build to have for five to 10 years and make that run. So that, hopefully, clarifies it."

@viccarucci

#Bills GM Doug Whaley tries to clarify conflicting remarks. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/zHzApxSgYe

I didn't need him to explain it to grasp the idea, and I am not sure why people struggle with this. We are a team on the edge of the playoffs, and maybe one of these years we will make it in, but he wants to build a team that competes consistently, not one that floats around the edge..

I also don't understand why people see a problem with this. It is a pretty healthy attitude to have.

It's like playing dumb is the medias way of paying back Whaley.

Edited by What a Tuel

I didn't need him to explain it to grasp the idea, and I am not sure why people struggle with this. We are a team on the edge of the playoffs, and maybe one of these years we will make it in, but he wants to build a team that competes consistently, not one that floats around the edge..

I also don't understand why people see a problem with this. It is a pretty healthy attitude to have.

I agree^^^

Nonsense with some in the media always playing games about this stuff.

Waste of time

Agree 100%

This. If they decide to let high priced players go because they are due to get paid more than the value they have on them, so be it. They'll find replacements that are of good value to the franchise. If we resign Gilmore and woods (or brown) then we're going to have 10 mill of space to replace 22 other free agents. That's a lot of players we need to sign. I expect one of our big 3 to be resigned (or maybe none). If they feel it's better to find players that are of better value to the infrastructure of what they're building, I hope they go through with it. Sustained success >> making the playoffs next season.

the section where he talked about the QB sounded exactly like what he said at McDs presser and with the different camera angle makes me think they spliced it in there. Not that it means anything as I would expect him to give the same message. Just makes me wonder how long is it going to take for them to decide on TT and when will they announce it.

@viccarucci

He just made it more confusing! LOL

Yep. With the 2017 schedule looking much harder than 2016, and a HUGE question mark at QB, look for the Bills to take a big step backwards this coming season.

Yup, that's what I've been saying. He is trying to temper expectations for the coming season with the prior media piece. Some people read into it as "tank" and now he's trying to back track on it a bit.

It's not going to be a tank, but given the cap space, and the schedule, three starters who are FAs may not all be back in the fold. For instance Gilmore bec. this draft is deep in DBs. So instead of giving Gilmore huge contract, they'll draft a rook or two (much like what Carolina did this past year), give them a year to develop, and use the QB class of 2018 to grab that franchise QB and add more foundation pieces for a championship run in a couple of years. Ok I think we got it.

I agree he made it more confusing. I think I understood before.

What he was essentially saying is "I think we are close but there will be no repeat of the Rex arrival offseason spending spree to try and force us over the hump and into the playoffs..... we want this to be a sustainable build through the draft."

I'm not sure I can make head nor tail of what he said yesterday.

I agree he made it more confusing. I think I understood before.

What he was essentially saying is "I think we are close but there will be no repeat of the Rex arrival offseason spending spree to try and force us over the hump and into the playoffs..... we want this to be a sustainable build through the draft."

I'm not sure I can make head nor tail of what he said yesterday.

just as they have planned !!! :devil::devil: