Search Firm?

I'm not surprised they used a search firm. I would have been more surprised if they hadn't.

This is a huge decision. They had to dedicate a lot of resources.

I heard of a team (forget which one) that had hired a detective to investigate their candidates.

I know some fans were concerned the team only interviewed four candidates. But they researched many more. After doing their first round of due diligence, they settled on a final four. I don't see a problem.

Each of us has our own opinion about who the Bills should have hired. I was a little disappointed when Whaley talked a lot about the importance of McDermott's coaching influences and his place on a good coaching tree. Not all disciples of good coaches become good coaches.

But I also realize I only know maybe 1% of what Whaley knows about the candidates out there. I'm hoping that he acquired the right information to make the right decision.

There are former executives (mostly GMs) who do consulting work for franchises seeking additional input and recommendations for important hires. There is nothing unusual with the owners seeking as much input from outside sources to help them be prepared for such an important decision. If the Pegulas would have exposed themselves to more sources familiar with the league I'm confident they wouldn't have hired Rex.

Clearly, they didn't use a search firm to hire Rex. So, perhaps they will have better success this time around.

My thoughts are McDermott will only be as good as his coordinators and QB.

Leslie Frazier is now the DC and he runs a 4-3 scheme and was the DC for the Bengals 2003 (28)*-2004 (21st), Vikings 2007-2009 (13)(8)(18), Vikings 2010(18), Tampa Bay 2014-2015(25)(26) and was the HC of the Vikings in between while his last job was the DB's coach of the Ravens 2016.

It remains to be seen who the new OC will be for the Bills in 2017 and if Tyrod stays or goes. On the outside looking in it looks like Whaley wants Tyrod off the team and the owners want to keep him.

If Whaley gets his way and dumps Tyrod, as I see it about the only way this team has a successful season is if they bring in Cutler, Romo or draft a rookie like Deshaun Watson.

I'm hoping for the best and yet I need to see it on the field before I lose my skepticism.

* points allowed.