Tim Graham article -T Pegs considers dysfunction an insult

Reed83HOF

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to how people are thinking they came off well here. The guy offers no explanations to the fans about key decisions that we spend hours/days/weeks/months debating here and elsewhere. And sounds like a dismissive ass while doing so. I totally understand that he has no obligation to divulge anything and I suppose many of you are okay with that. But as a fan it would be nice to hear him, however subtly, own up to the Rex disaster (which is 100% on him) or at the very least, not blatantly lie that he has no idea how the Bills came off looking the past few weeks.

I'm as thankful as anyone that he kept the Bills in Buffalo, and I don't even live there. But just having a team isn't good enough.

I'm curious as to how people are thinking they came off well here. The guy offers no explanations to the fans about key decisions that we spend hours/days/weeks/months debating here and elsewhere. And sounds like a dismissive ass while doing so. I totally understand that he has no obligation to divulge anything and I suppose many of you are okay with that. But as a fan it would be nice to hear him, however subtly, own up to the Rex disaster (which is 100% on him) or at the very least, not blatantly lie that he has no idea how the Bills came off looking the past few weeks.

I'm as thankful as anyone that he kept the Bills in Buffalo, and I don't even live there. But just having a team isn't good enough.

What more do you want to know? They hired Rex hoping that at least he would maintain, if not improve, the defense. It didn't happen, and instead got worse, probably costing them the playoffs, and they fired him.

He went out of his way to try to explain why he was being quiet about certain things and he clearly showed that he empathizes with the fans .

The one comment I find very odd is their answer as to why the structures with the Sabres and Bills are different. I imagine it's because they are more involved with the Bills at a ground level than the Sabs, but they can't come out and say that.

My guess is having a hockey GM and coach report to the owners over an 82 game regular season would be a bit overwhelming. I haven't checked, but are there any instances in hockey where this is the organizational structure? Much different over a 16 game season.

Thought they did a great job in the interview and came off well. Take a hike with your nonsense, TBN.

Agreed.

Reading this, I came away even more of a fan of the Pegulas than I had already been, and even more annoyed at The Buffalo News and the local Bills media than I had been before. The Pegulas kept the team in Buffalo, they're invested in its success, they seem like smart people doing the best with what they have each step of the way. I can see why they don't need think they need to do anything more than try to win.

The ones who need to find more is the media because they need to fill the air with something — because there's appetite for it. "Who gives a **** about Whaley's press conference?" Well the media does and so do the fans — mostly because they're both bored. Maybe instead of speculation and handwringing about figuring out who to chase out next, they could do more with finding former players (which to their credit TBN does do sometimes and excellently so, like the Talley story). What does Eric Moulds think of Sammy? Or whatever. But instead the media and the fans are more interested in finding things to be anxious about.

It reminded me that the fan has several separate relationships with the Bills — one with the team as a concept, as logo and colors and location; one with the individuals, the players and staff and owners, past and present; and one with the media, including social media and message boards.

I thought Graham did great. He asked the questions that needed to be asked, and wasn't a douche about it.

I agree with this. I was very happy with the questions.

Edited by LA Grant

I thought Graham did great. He asked the questions that needed to be asked, and wasn't a douche about it.

Not as bad as usual but the Whaley stuff was awkward and bad.

By being forced to give 2 long interviews to clear the air.

I understood what Whaley said the first time and then I understood what the Pegulas said both times.....and I don't think it was all that difficult. But then again pot stirring is better. Oh look, Sullivan is already telling the new guy how to coach. GTFO

I understood what Whaley said the first time and then I understood what the Pegulas said both times.....and I don't think it was all that difficult. But then again pot stirring is better. Oh look, Sullivan is already telling the new guy how to coach. GTFO

And drawing pointless derogatory comparisons between McDermott and Gregg Williams on twitter.

Pegula: "The GM, whether it be hockey, football, baseball, whatever, their job is not to win a press conference. It's to build a team and win championships. If I have a GM and people think his press conferences are a disaster every year, but we start winning, who cares? Let the media say what they want to say. I know there's a guy in New England who gets criticized a lot, but he wins. It's not all about winning the news conference."

Sounded like Kim was the one most PO'd about Whaley's press conference:

How do you think Doug Whaley represented the Bills at his news conference last week?

TP: He did the best he could under some very trying circumstances. That's my answer.

How much does it hurt a business' credibility when one of its leaders stops being believable?

TP: It depends on who stops believing him, I guess.

KP: It does hurt, but it's our job as owners to make sure that decisions are not made on knee-jerk opinions or partial information or one instance. You need to look at the person's body of work, and while sometimes one instance is all it takes to hurt your credibility within the organization, we're not going to jump to any decisions.

Kinda thinking from the sound of that, that if Terry were out of the picture, Kim's knee jerk would have changed Whaley's employment state. Also kinda thinking they learned something from hiring Rex: "it's not about winning the news conference".

It also sounds like Kim is ready to bring Whaley to the point of elimination with another misstep or two.