Million Dollar Baby

bartshan-83

I see quite a few movies.  I thought Sideways was great, and had given it a slight edge over The Aviator.  Then I saw Million Dollar Baby.  That movie is in a class by itself.  It was stunning.

One thing I find interesting is that nobody is giving away any of the plotlines of this movie.  I remember 6th Sense ran sort of a campaign on keeping the secret.  Million Dollar Baby does not have to run such a campaign.  People just sort of keep their mouths shut till they find somebody who has seen the film, and then they talk about it.

I did have a few issues with the movie, but overall I was blown away.

255204[/snapback]

The movie's ending has not been hidden well at all. There is a controversy about the ending and it has come up in unexpected articles thus already spoiling it for me. I still will want to see it eventually anyway, but I am putting it off more now.

So far in this thread, everyone who has seen it has loved it, and everyone who hasn't...thinks it's overrated?  Maybe you guys should see it before you say it's bad.

255199[/snapback]

As someone around here might say, "welcome to the retard rodeo!" This kind of logic permeates most discussion here!

Having seen both Ray and Million Dollar Baby and keeping sight of the award "Best performance by an actor in a Leading Role" I'd have to say Jamie Fox did give a better acting performance than Clint Eastwood. Playing a blind Ray Chales had to be a very difficult task and he did it magnificently IMHO.

Having seen both Ray and Million Dollar Baby and keeping sight of the award "Best performance by an actor in a Leading Role" I'd have to say Jamie Fox did give a better acting performance than Clint Eastwood. Playing a blind Ray Chales had to be a very difficult task and he did it magnificently IMHO.

256169[/snapback]

I've heard both sides to this. Some say Fox's impersonation was just an "immitation" and not acting, I tend to disagree. While playing a role of a living (at the time) person may seem easier (because you can impersonate him) I think it may be harder since every member of the audience KNOWS who Ray is, knows how he speaks, sings, moves...so if you aren't dead on with your "acting" it will show.

On the other hand, when you play a fictional character, no one knows what is "true", so you can get away with more.

Of course, I am not an actor (in fact I was in one play...in third grade. I had one line and I flubbed it :doh: ) so I could be totally wrong.

I also agree with this line of thinking. It also worked for Cate Blanchett for her portrayal of Katharine Hepburn.

"Imitating" an icon isn't always an easy task. You run the risk of being immediately dismissed if you don't convince the audience. IMO, Foxx was good.

Just ask Robin Williams with his tired Jack Nicholson bit. Sigh. I still can't believe he tried to pull that one off last night. :doh:

Foxx benefitted from a relatively weak Best Actor field this year, performance-wise...

plus I'm not sure if he even gets nominated without Ray Charles passing away.

256252[/snapback]

I kinda disagree about the weak field, but you're likely right about Ray's passing.

Let me preface this post by saying two things:

1.) Skip Bayless is a tard.

2.) I saw Million Dollar Baby and thought it was outstanding...

THAT BEING SAID, there is one thing that bothered very much about the movie and it's something (unfortunately) that Bayless brought up in his column. After Maggie is paralyzed and is in the hospital, it's almost driven in to the ground that she lost the fight. I'm not sure exactly how it is that you could "lose" a boxing match by virtue of your opponent delivering an illegal, paralyzing sucker-punch.

Just saying is all...

Other than that though, I thought it was great. I was very happy to see Morgan Freeman finally get an Oscar...I'm not sure people realize how good of an actor he is. One my all-time favorites.

Skip Bayless, the certified moron, in that article, which I just read but wish I didn't, complained that Million Dollar Baby was lousy, even though he walked out after only half of it, because he said it was unrealistic.

255193[/snapback]

Seems like you walked out of his article early. He went on to mention that he went back and watched the whole thing from start to finish.

This was a BAD film.