Lynne may return as oc in buffalo under McDermott

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Him returning after being passed over for the HC job would not be entirely unprecedented.

When the Ravens fired Brian Billick, many people thought Rex Ryan was the logical person to take over as he had just guided them to a few years of dominant defenses. When they hired Harbaugh, Harbaugh asked him to stay as DC and he did for one more year until he got the Jets job.

All McDermott has to do is convince Lynn that staying here is in his best interest to get a HC job in the year or two. I think it really depends upon what their offensive plan is. If McDermott decides that slow overhaul on offense, both of personnel and philosophy, is the best course of action, then I could see Lynn and Taylor both staying, while they start building up talent on offense through the draft, much like how the Bengals recently built up their offense slowly over a few consecutive drafts.

Him returning after being passed over for the HC job would not be entirely unprecedented.

When the Ravens fired Brian Billick, many people thought Rex Ryan was the logical person to take over as he had just guided them to a few years of dominant defenses. When they hired Harbaugh, Harbaugh asked him to stay as DC and he did for one more year until he got the Jets job.

All McDermott has to do is convince Lynn that staying here is in his best interest to get a HC job in the year or two. I think it really depends upon what their offensive plan is. If McDermott decides that slow overhaul on offense, both of personnel and philosophy, is the best course of action, then I could see Lynn and Taylor both staying, while they start building up talent on offense through the draft, much like how the Bengals recently built up their offense slowly over a few consecutive drafts.

Would that force Whaley into keeping Taylor?

What did I spell his name wrong like in the title of the thread? Oh b.c I spelled "about" wrong and you have no idea how to converse on forums so you say stupid ****.

Actually I only said one thing about him and checked boxes.

The rest was saying he has also talked about it.

So please do not make up things.

I'm trying to make sense of your logic.

Please explain your thinking that if the rule isn't needed, and Lynn is only interviewing to check the box, would he not get the interviews otherwise?

No I didn't. I have one post in the start of the thread and it said nothing about "Bills being stupid enough to consider and a bunch of other wrong things" if you are going to make up **** to start fights I will tell you now I will ignore them.

I don't have time to look at the old thread. Here is where you said Lynn was only being considered because of the Rooney Rule: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/190656-why-is-dennis-thurman-not-taking-the-blame-for-the-defense/?p=4163413

He did not fulfill the Rooney Rule for teams so that's actually wrong. They wanted to interview him for the job.

Would that force Whaley into keeping Taylor?

I think we'll know more when we find out who has final roster control.

And IMO, I think we will find out that decision will rest with McDermott.

I don't see how he takes the job without that control in place seeing as how Whaley has conflicted with 2 HCs.

I'm trying to make sense of your logic.

Please explain your thinking that if the rule isn't needed, and Lynn is only interviewing to check the box, would he not get the interviews otherwise?

What I said was to get reactions. Sometimes you need to stir the pot to show where the crack is. The crack is in the rule itself.

What I said was to get reactions. Sometimes you need to stir the pot to show where the crack is. The crack is in the rule itself.

Ah, the old I'm just trying to get a rise out of being a troll argument? Got it.

In four years as an OC, McCoy only once placed his team in the top 10 in scoring.

In his only year as an OC, Lynn got his team into the top ten in scoring.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Well, that sucks. The problem with Lynn is he doesn't know the passing game and how to create targets for his best players.

I don't know if this is necessarily true. As we all know, Lynn was not running his offense (he stated as such). He was running a watered down version of Roman's offense for continuity. I think he will retain many of the successful concepts of the running game, but I expect to see a more balanced offense under Lynn. Then again...who knows.

So long as there is a Rooney rule some teams will interview a person of color simply because they have too. The insulting thing is that there IS a Rooney rule in the first place that puts teams and candidates in that position.

Maybe one day, the Rooney rule won't be needed but unfortunately it still does. Also rules get bent and twisted all the time. It's hard to prevent some of it regardless of the measures taken.

I do think this is good experience for Lynn at a bare minimum. He's getting good exposure and if he doesn't get a HC this year, another year as an OC may get him one next year.

.....and with another healthy WR or 2 the passing game could look very different. Tyrod needs to find them, then hit them, but he worked with very little last year. I'm happy with Lynn, and even enjoy being a little unconventional. Points matter.

Do people not understand that Lynn was running Roman's Offense?

With a limited QB?

Often without healthy NFL quality receivers lined up on the outside?

And still finished in the top ten in scoring despite this being a 'passing league'?

Color me impressed.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Do people not understand that Lynn was running Roman's Offense?

You do know that they learn plays each week for upcoming games... Not like they learned everything in the summer then only do that. Each week they work on new game plans and new plays. You don't think those new plays would come from Lynn since it ended up becoming his offense?