The new jw Tweets 1/11 - Questions on Whaley & TT

Reed83HOF

Then why send out the tease tweets. And why can't he verify< shouldn't take much effort. And he can't verify and his "ethics" prevent him from being direct with his thoughts, why tease?

It seems like he wants to get in on the breaking action without getting hammered for being wrong. And who cares if he is wrong--it's a fluid situation.

"Wants to get in on the action without getting hammered" is certainly one fair interpretation.

I care if he is wrong. I think splurting out wrong gouge causes harms - it sometimes establishes a narrative that hurts people, and it takes on a life of its own while the retraction is printed on page 15 in small type.

The tease tweets have gone too far IMHO. I understand John wanting to sort of send up a "news incoming soon!" tweet while he's working on verifying a story to alert his followers, but it's gone too far. IMHO.

I don't think verification is always easy. You hear something from someone who is willing to be an "off record source" but their knowledge is 2nd or 3rd hand. So you try to get someone who has 1st hand knowledge to speak and a lot of times these guys don't want to put anything out in a "fluid situation". But that's just my understanding of "life as a reporter".

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Wawrow Retweeted Lou Brown

McDermott is on more stable ground than Whaley and, to use a wrestling term, has leverage. It's on GM to play nice with new coach.

John Wawrow added,

Lou Brown @Lou_TireWorld

@john_wawrow What if McDermott has final say over the 53? What could they hang on Whaley? He didn't have final say on the coach or players?

Yes, that is frustrating, but unlike the useless LaConfoa, JW actually prefers to have actual verifiable sources before putting his name on a news item. I respect him for this.

He never breaks anything though, his tweets are always speculative & he always leaves himself an out in case it goes the other way, Sometimes in his field you have to put yourself on a limb & trust your sources. If your wrong your wrong but that is the nature of the business. His information is actually kind of annoying if you ask me because it never tells you anything.

He never breaks anything though, his tweets are always speculative & he always leaves himself an out in case it goes the other way, Sometimes in his field you have to put yourself on a limb & trust your sources. If your wrong your wrong but that is the nature of the business. His information is actually kind of annoying if you ask me because it never tells you anything.

that warrow couldn't even break wind, i'm told.

jw

Watching Lacanfora strike out over and over and over is better huh ?

John Wawrow Retweeted Lou Brown

McDermott is on more stable ground than Whaley and, to use a wrestling term, has leverage. It's on GM to play nice with new coach.

John Wawrow added,

Lou Brown @Lou_TireWorld
@john_wawrow What if McDermott has final say over the 53? What could they hang on Whaley? He didn't have final say on the coach or players?

Interesting. Not surprising.

that warrow couldn't even break wind, i'm told.

jw

Now you are going too far.

I think we can gather from Wawrow's latest tweet that Whaley won't be making any big draft-day moves that don't have McD's seal of approval -- and I think the Tyrod decision is also going to be McD's, along with his OC.

FWIW (if anything) - Fox sports rates the Bills front office as 29th in the NFL:

Buffalo Bills

After Rex Ryan was fired, GM Doug Whaley was asked about how the decision was made: "I wasn’t privy to any part of Rex Ryan being fired until I was told by [owner] Terry Pegula,” he said. Then when asked what exactly he does for a living if he's not evaluating coaches or even being in the loop in the evaluation of coaches, Whaley laughed. And still the Bills are only No. 29.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-all-32-nfl-front-offices-from-worst-to-first/ss-AAlMhvx?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SL5LDHP

Edited by Peter

I think we can gather from Wawrow's latest tweet that Whaley won't be making any big draft-day moves that don't have McD's seal of approval -- and I think the Tyrod decision is also going to be McD's, along with his OC.

Whaley and his staff acquire the players...McDermott and his staff decides who stays and goes...I'm sure they will work together on most of this. Not a big deal

It's already established that Pegula has final say.

With respect to the HC hiring -- absolutely. Nothing has been "established" that Pegula intervenes in player decisions.

No? He benched the starting QB in week 17 as a "business decision".

You missed that...

I'll let Whaley help:

"It's their organization, their franchise," he said. "They're going to have the ultimate stamp, no matter what. If it's me in charge over the coach or the coach and I at the same level, it's still ultimately their decision."

What draft day moves do you believe Whaley made without the HC approval (and possibly boss's approval)?

The Tyrod decision should rightly have a lot of input from McDermott and his staff, which is exactly as both Whaley and Pegula said it would during Whaley's presser and Pegula's follow-on AP interview. I would imagine what alternative QBs might become available and what might have to be given up for them will also enter into the discussion.

No? He benched the starting QB in week 17 as a "business decision".

You missed that...

I'll let Whaley help:

"It's their organization, their franchise," he said. "They're going to have the ultimate stamp, no matter what. If it's me in charge over the coach or the coach and I at the same level, it's still ultimately their decision."

I think you are misapplying a quote about org structure to player personnel decisions. As far as the decision to bench the QB, I believe it was likely Whaley (and possibly the FO finance line reporting to Brandon who wanted that and Rex who disagreed. The way the org structure the Pegulas set up 2 years ago with coach and GM both reporting to them must work, is that disagreements the coach and GM can't work out have to come to the Pegulas for final decision. I don't think it means the Pegulas mix in personnel decisions on a regular basis.

The way the organizational structure was set up

Whaley and his staff acquire the players...McDermott and his staff decides who stays and goes...I'm sure they will work together on most of this. Not a big deal

I sure hope so. To work best I assume it's gotta work like this:

-coach looks at scheme intentions and film of players on the roster

-coach defines a wish list of the type of players needed to make it work

-gm gets to work finding those types of players with the intent of drafting/developing or targeting FA

-guys that don't quite fit are expunged as quickly and cost effectively as possible

-depth is filled in with BPAs that fit the respective schemes or versitle guys that can backfill numerous spots

-throughout the process cap decisions are highlighted by the gm

If the gm and coach aren't working this way, I cannot imagine any sort of success.

Folks forget, there are very few guys that are soooo Damn good they'd star in any scheme. The talent levels are so close, you've gotta build toward some consensus vision.

Even when the very good coaches scheme around the talent, there has to be some overarching blueprint you're moving to.

It can't work like fantasy where you just pick who you think are the best guys irrespective of what you will ask of them.

Why do some take it as a sign of Whaley's "weak position" that he and the HC will consult on personnel including FAs and draft picks? To me, this is SOP. How the hell else could you have a unified vision that's coherently implemented unless the "acquirer" and the "user" are completely on the same page? Yet some critics take this as a further sign of accelerating dysfunction at OBD. Wha?

Why do some take it as a sign of Whaley's "weak position" that he and the HC will consult on personnel including FAs and draft picks? To me, this is SOP. How the hell else could you have a unified vision that's coherently implemented unless the "acquirer" and the "user" are completely on the same page? Yet some critics take this as a further sign of accelerating dysfunction at OBD. Wha?

It's stupid. What Whaley did with Rex is exactly what you want a GM to do. If anything, he gave Rex too much.