Norv Turner (no longer) a possibility at OC per Mike Silver

YoloinOhio

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wade was considered washed up and he was a key reason the broncos defense rebounded. I would keep an open mind on turner. Hes had good offenses in the past plus HC experience which will be useful to McDermott. Absent a viable replacement for taylor it isnt gonna matter who the OC is.

I remember watching something on TV years ago about Landry's retirement. They had one of his former assistants on, who said "If I could describe Tom Landry in just one word, it would be...'fair and compassionate.'"

:doh:

Counting to 1 is such a difficult skill to master. Maybe he counted DOWN to 1?

Isn't he a 7-step drop, timing guy?

Yikes!

Yep.

The Bills run a lot of that Ernie Zampese style "run to set up the deep ball" stuff so it's not entirely out of sync with what Tyrod does now...........but my main thing with Norv is that he is old and offense is the complicated side of the footbal........I like Lynn and McCoy because they will be HUNGRY to get HC chances so are likely to work their asses off to make it work. Norv's HC days are over......unless McDermott tanks and Norv has to interim for him. I could see him taking the job just to try to keep Norv Jr. in the league.

You don't see a lot of old fux running offenses the way you do on the defensive side of the ball where success is much simpler.......mainly about execution spiced with a bit of intuition.

Edited by #BADOL

Yep.

The Bills run a lot of that Ernie Zampese style "run to set up the deep ball" stuff so it's not entirely out of sync with what Tyrod does now...........but my main thing with Norv is that he is old and offense is the complicated side of the footbal........I like Lynn and McCoy because they will be HUNGRY to get HC chances so are likely to work their asses off to make it work. Norv's HC days are over......unless McDermott tanks and Norv has to interim for him. I could see him taking the job just to try to keep Norv Jr. in the league.

You don't see a lot of old fux running offenses the way you do on the defensive side of the ball where success is much simpler.......mainly about execution spiced with a bit of intuition.

Agree with all of this. The thought of Norv as OC makes me physically ill. This guy needs to retire already. I would rather see them stick with Lynn before Norv. (Assuming McCoy goes elsewhere which is certainly not a done deal) I am not a big fan of Lynn either, but he would be a better option for the Bills than Turner in my opinion.

Agree with all of this. The thought of Norv as OC makes me physically ill. This guy needs to retire already. I would rather see them stick with Lynn before Norv. (Assuming McCoy goes elsewhere which is certainly not a done deal) I am not a big fan of Lynn either, but he would be a better option for the Bills than Turner in my opinion.

If the Bills want McCoy they will probably have to do what they had to do with Roman.........make him the league's highest paid OC.

If there is one thing Elway does not like to do.....it's part with a penny more of Bronco funds than he has to.

The Denver job would be much more secure for McCoy......the Bills GM situation is a bit tenuous........ and you can COUNT on Elway putting talent on the field for you.

But if McCoy goes back there he also runs the risk of being seen as a "Broncos guy" that needs Denver circumstances to succeed.......and not entirely re-establishing his star as a HC candidate.

I think McDaniels faced that when he returned to NE initially. I think he's climbed his way back up the HC candidate hierarchy but the fact that he has only had success in NE might have slowed his climb.

Now if McCoy can make it work in Buffalo he will look better FASTER......if he turns the Bills into a top 2-3 scoring offense people will very quickly start re-writing the narrative about the uphill battle he faced in San Diego.

But, like McDaniels, he's probably more likely to succeed in Denver.

If the Bills want McCoy they will probably have to do what they had to do with Roman.........make him the league's highest paid OC.

If there is one thing Elway does not like to do.....it's part with a penny more of Bronco funds than he has to.

The Denver job would be much more secure for McCoy......the Bills GM situation is a bit tenuous........ and you can COUNT on Elway putting talent on the field for you.

But if McCoy goes back there he also runs the risk of being seen as a "Broncos guy" that needs Denver circumstances to succeed.......and not entirely re-establishing his star as a HC candidate.

I think McDaniels faced that when he returned to NE initially. I think he's climbed his way back up the HC candidate hierarchy but the fact that he has only had success in NE might have slowed his climb.

Now if McCoy can make it work in Buffalo he will look better FASTER......if he turns the Bills into a top 2-3 scoring offense people will very quickly start re-writing the narrative about the uphill battle he faced in San Diego.

It's also possible he doesn't entirely like Elway. So that could factor into his decision strongly.

It's also possible he doesn't entirely like Elway. So that could factor into his decision strongly.

Good point.

We tend to assume that people like working for Elway because he's good but perhaps he's not easy to work for.

Like Ralph Wilson intrusive.......but able to scratch his chin with a hand full of SB rings when contemplating your opinion.

Good point.

We tend to assume that people like working for Elway because he's good but perhaps he's not easy to work for.

Like Ralph Wilson intrusive.......but able to scratch his chin with a hand full of SB rings when contemplating your opinion.

I think that there is something to this view.

Good point.

It's a pet peeve whenever fans see that player A played with Player B or Coach C and automatically assume they like each other and would love to do it again. Or Coach A worked with Coach B or GM C. That may well be true but it could also be the opposite.

I would certainly expect the Bills would have to up the ante, but hey, it's not my money so go for it. Beyond that who knows what his motivations might be. For me, it would feel like returning home with my tail between my legs to go back to Denver. I think it depends on just how proud, and just how career motivated he continues to be. Denver could be seen as the easy decision, but somewhere else could well be the best career move. I think he is too young to give up on career aspirations which would put Denver at a disadvantage to me. I think much depends on what discussion McDermott and the Bills had regarding the QB situation and plan, something we are not, and likely never will be, privy to.