Deshaun Watson is the answer

CDogg20

The Browns won't take a QB at 1. I could see them taking Mitch with their second 1st rounder which is after the Bills pick if he is still there.

I think you're right about the Browns, that leaves the 49ers, Bears and Jets as teams that could possibly take a QB before the Bills pick. If all three take QBs, Watson is gone. If the Bills really want him they have to make a deal with the 49ers.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right about the Browns, that leaves the 49ers, Bears and Jets as teams that could possibly take a QB before the Bills pick. If all three take QBs, Watson is gone. If the Bills really want him they have to make a deal with the 49ers.

The Browns have a plan with all these picks and being on the bottom. I see them as aiming for 2018 the way the Sabres went for McDavid-Eichel.

Then the Bills need to pull a Sammy Watkins and trade up.

If your going to do it, it's for a franchise QB. 6'3, 215 lbs. Averaged 4100 passing yards and 36 TDs last two seasons as well as 850 yards and 10 TDs in the ground. He has also played 29 games the last two seasons so hitting the rookie "wall" would be less likely.

He's as elusive as Taylor but bigger and has a stronger arm. No issues throwing down the field. He's performed big time in big time games, and there isn't a bigger pressure situation than being 2 yards from the end zone with a handful of seconds left to win or lose the national championship.

Him and Watkins would make a dynamic tandem with the same college ties.

It might cost a kings ransom, but the alternative of not finding a franchise QB would probably limit DW time in Buffalo any ways so might as well go all in.

I will continue to develop the QB we have on THE ROSTER. We have a QB on the roster that won big games to become CFB champions, beating both Alabama and Oregon with Mariotta.

Here is his story http://cbsprt.co/2ic6Was

I have watched plenty of Watson and I don't see him being a top 10 pick. His accuracy is erratic if you've watched more than just a couple of games. A lot of his completions are off target, but the WR's have space to adjust or make catches despite that. He will "wow" you with some throws, but then have you thinking "wtf?" with others. The guy is a gamer, has risen to the competition on the grandest of stages (especially the last two Championship games), and he is a proven winner. Can't see him at 10, just can't. The earliest I see him drafted is in the 2nd.

I've watched him for two years and still see a lot of throws that his WR's make great plays on that you just know will be INT's in the NFL (like two or three throws alone on that game winning TD drive). It's probably a big reason that there are NFL GM's and scouts out there who do not think hes anywhere near an NFL QB (link not provided, was a twitter link a month or so back of NFL GM's and scouts anonymously chiming in on their takes on this years class of QB's...Watson was not loved)

My point (counter-point) would be you simply don't see polished QBs being produced by college football. It takes a lot of work to make a QB and the vast majority of the position is intangibles, putting in the work to improve and gameplan, having the mentality to be a leader and everything else on the mental side. At this point in his career Tom Brady can't make all the throws and he can't run around the field, but mentally he's the best. Cardale Jones can make every throw (his accuracy is another question) but the game is moving a million miles per hour for him. Everyone around Watson has said he's got the mental side more than covered, that's the reason people like him. You can improve mechanics, hard work should be able to improve accuracy, playing at NFL speed will help understand throwing windows (though I don't think it's that far off to say defensively Bama is at a comparable talent level to at least the Browns, if not some other bad defenses) but if the QB doesn't have the mental side he's simply not going to work out.

I do think a lot of the criticism comes from people who haven't watched much of the kid. If people want to accuse him of just chucking it up for Mike Williams then they surely have to take into account Williams' high drop rate and accept that there are other plays that Watson made where his #1 receiver let him down?

But I don't think these people have watched Clemson enough. Watson throws with anticipation, he throws the seam route as well as any college QB to come out in the last 5 years and he throws with touch. Does his footwork occasionally let him down - yes - but the idea that he plays in system where he just throws to his primary read is nonsense. There were 3 or 4 big time throws last night where he is reading the safety and taking the 1 on 1 matchup based on which way the safety jumps. Do Clemson simplify things for him sometimes with half field reads and by moving the pocket? Yes. And here is some news for you - Kyle Shanahan does that for Matt Ryan (who may well be the MVP) on some plays too.

The kid is better than Jared Goff, better than Carson Wentz, better than Mitch Trubisky, better than DeShone Kizer, better than Paxton Lynch.... the last Quarterback picked in an NFL Draft better than Watson was Marcus Mariota. He is similar to Mariota but not quite as polished (his footwork particularly) and a bit more of a gunslinger attitude.

If I was the Browns I'd pick him at #1. I don't think he is so "can't miss" that you trade the house up for him but if by some miracle he is there at number 10 I would turn my card in within 5 seconds of going on the clock.

I do think a lot of the criticism comes from people who haven't watched much of the kid. If people want to accuse him of just chucking it up for Mike Williams then they surely have to take into account Williams' high drop rate and accept that there are other plays that Watson made where his #1 receiver let him down?

But I don't think these people have watched Clemson enough. Watson throws with anticipation, he throws the seam route as well as any college QB to come out in the last 5 years and he throws with touch. Does his footwork occasionally let him down - yes - but the idea that he plays in system where he just throws to his primary read is nonsense. There were 3 or 4 big time throws last night where he is reading the safety and taking the 1 on 1 matchup based on which way the safety jumps. Do Clemson simplify things for him sometimes with half field reads and by moving the pocket? Yes. And here is some news for you - Kyle Shanahan does that for Matt Ryan (who may well be the MVP) on some plays too.

The kid is better than Jared Goff, better than Carson Wentz, better than Mitch Trubisky, better than DeShone Kizer, better than Paxton Lynch.... the last Quarterback picked in an NFL Draft better than Watson was Marcus Mariota. He is similar to Mariota but not quite as polished (his footwork particularly) and a bit more of a gunslinger attitude.

If I was the Browns I'd pick him at #1. I don't think he is so "can't miss" that you trade the house up for him but if by some miracle he is there at number 10 I would turn my card in within 5 seconds of going on the clock.

Agree, he's right there with Mariota/Winston. More games played than Tru gives him slight edge.

Last years 10th overall pick Eli Apple signed a 4 year $15m contract with a 5th year option. When you look at what guys like Fitzpatrick, Chase Daniel, and Tyrod are getting paid, it's an absolute no brainer to take a guy like Watson at #10 who is better than them right now. Same with Kizer and Trubisky. No brainer at those contract #'s to take a chance on guys that at worst will be your #2 QB with potential to be franchise QB's.

Edited by BuffaloRebound

I haven't made it through this thread yet; but I can't wait to see how many people are clamoring to take him at 10 - classic over reaction to a game. He still has all of the same flaws he had before. Accuracy is a main one; that rarely gets fixed...

He struggled a lot in that game. He will struggle immensely in the NFL. He will make a good backup QB. I think people are nuts who want this guy as a starting quarterback in the NFL. This guy is like a less talented version of Tyrod. And yet people here are going goo goo over him. Even people who don't want Tyrod to stay. Ridiculous. Be careful what you wish for.

Ding Ding!

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Give up 3 firsts if you have to, I don't care. Sal and Howard Simon talking about taking a safety. No, no, no. That safety will be gone in 4-5 years of you don't get a QB. I don't even care if he fails. Time to make a play at a great QB prospect.

As an Alabama fan I can tell you I have really liked what I have seen from him in the few chances I have had to watch him play. He seems to have that "winner" quality. While mobile quarterbacks are in vogue right now if you look across the league its still the pass first guys that seem to win play-off games and championships. Russell Wilson is probably the biggest exception and possibly Cam Newton but he is inconsistent.

Watson seems like a likable kid that would be fun to cheer for too. I wouldn't complain about the Bills drafting Watson but I would have some doubt.

Excellent post! My favorite thing about him is his mental toughness. He doesn't break! He keeps plugging along and breaks through. That is a terrific intangible for a QB to have. And, OBTW he can throw and move a little bit too.

I haven't made it through this thread yet; but I can't wait to see how many people are clamoring to take him at 10 - classic over reaction to a game. He still has all of the same flaws he had before. Accuracy is a main one; that rarely gets fixed...

Ding Ding!

So Deshaun Watson is ranked 10th this year in CFB with a completion Percentage of 67%....

Last year he was ranked 5th in all of CFB.

But hey, accuracy issues.

I have watched plenty of Watson and I don't see him being a top 10 pick. His accuracy is erratic if you've watched more than just a couple of games. A lot of his completions are off target, but the WR's have space to adjust or make catches despite that. He will "wow" you with some throws, but then have you thinking "wtf?" with others. The guy is a gamer, has risen to the competition on the grandest of stages (especially the last two Championship games), and he is a proven winner. Can't see him at 10, just can't. The earliest I see him drafted is in the 2nd.

This is true!

So Deshaun Watson is ranked 10th this year in CFB with a completion Percentage of 67%....

Last year he was ranked 5th in all of CFB.

But hey, accuracy issues.

And WRs like Mike Williams can go up and get the ball and make adjustments for the catch. Completion percentage doesn't deal with ball placement issues and at times mis-fired passes. Both of which he has issues with....

My point is this - don't overreact to one or 2 games. Clemson had 99 plays last night on offense - his numbers should look gaudy and yeah he led them to a win - great job (I do mean that sincerely!). When you look at a QB to draft; you have to look at their entire body of work. To be successful in the NFL you need these top teir skills Accuracy & Ball Placement, Poise in the Pocket, decision making and then you can make sure you have enough arm strength and mobility in the pocket...

A lot of the throws last night were very quick, short easy throws on the boundary; others were toss ups to Mike Williams. Once and NFL D takes those away his weaknesses will become more magnified and they will challenge him to be an NFL QB. He will become a limited QB...

Edited by Reed83HOF