If Sammy Watkins turned in Odell Beckham Jr's performance...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Sammy.

But when Sammy averages 1,350yds receiving with 12TD's per season, wake me up.

You can't catch what isn't thrown to you. And when you look at production per attempt, Sammy's is same as OBJ with LESS drops and no bad attitude.

MMQB: No Longer Bending Over Backwards for Beckham

The Giants finally put their foot down and told Odell Beckham Jr. to grow up. Will he change, or will the edict ring hollow like the wall he punched?

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/10/nfl-odell-beckham-jr-new-york-giants

"Sammy Watkins rants that the Giants need more discipline from the coaching staff"

I agree. All the talk that Beckham is a diva while Sammy isn't is something I don't understand. If Sammy had half the success in the NFL that OBJ has had maybe he would be a big diva too. We really can't tell because it's comparing apples to oranges. Sammy plays in Buffalo while OBJ has become a superstar playing in New York. Sammy isn't under the same spotlight that OBJ is. Sammy doesn't have to deal with the NY media either. Honestly I don't see how the trip made OBJ drop those passes either. I'm sure if the Bills had a playoff game our players would spend the entire week studying or maybe doing Hail Marys at church. Seems like much ado over nothing if you ask me. Big time receivers generally are divas.

In Buffalo he is under the microscope with local media in a 2 sport town, where endless radio and newspaper columns are written about 3rd round draft choices, back-ups and DB coaches.

Watkins continually is bashed for being fragile and the trade to get him..... It is actually a lot more then OBJ in local terms and I doubt nationally though OBJ is known, 98% of people don't care......

In Buffalo he is under the microscope with local media in a 2 sport town, where endless radio and newspaper columns are written about 3rd round draft choices, back-ups and DB coaches.

Watkins continually is bashed for being fragile and the trade to get him..... It is actually a lot more then OBJ in local terms and I doubt nationally though OBJ is known, 98% of people don't care......

It's actually not. Spend a season reading the Post and the Daily News.

Edited by Mr. WEO

More importantly, you cant catch when youre not on the field.

True...and that is the only thing OBJ has on Sammy is he was hurt less. But nothing about Sammy suggests his injuries will be a long term issue. He wasnt previously injury prone, and the injury he dealt with this year is both fixable and not considered to be career threatening.

Healthy Sammy > OBJ.

Beckham has earned enough street cred to have a bad game.

Watkins thus far has not lived up to his draft status and would not be the #1 WR on most teams, let alone be mentioned in the same tier as Beckham.

This is one of the single worst and most ridiculous posts I have ever seen on TSW. A place where threads like "Mario straight up for Skelton" and "Its bad to win non conference games" exists.

He would be the #1 WR on most teams in the NFL and when healthy is not only a top 10 WR in the NFL, but I would argue top 5 from a talent perspective. I mean he was one of the top producing WR's in the 9 healthy games last year in the entire NFL...and he did this on a team who is one of the least passing teams, had a coaching staff that wanted to always run, etc. And according to this board, did it under the worst coaching staff and with a bad QB.

He had some bad luck when his foot injury didn't heal properly and had a set back and hampered him this year. This has nothing to do with his skill and talent as a WR. When healthy, he is an excellent WR.

This is one of the single worst and most ridiculous posts I have ever seen on TSW. A place where threads like "Mario straight up for Skelton" and "Its bad to win non conference games" exists.

He would be the #1 WR on most teams in the NFL and when healthy is not only a top 10 WR in the NFL, but I would argue top 5 from a talent perspective. I mean he was one of the top producing WR's in the 9 healthy games last year in the entire NFL...and he did this on a team who is one of the least passing teams, had a coaching staff that wanted to always run, etc. And according to this board, did it under the worst coaching staff and with a bad QB.

He had some bad luck when his foot injury didn't heal properly and had a set back and hampered him this year. This has nothing to do with his skill and talent as a WR. When healthy, he is an excellent WR.

Top 5. Lol city.

Top 5. Lol city.

Well considering he was #3 in the entire NFL in WR efficiency in 2015, not hard to come to that conclusion.

Antonio Brown is unquestionably the best WR in football. After that the clear #2 is Juilo Jones. Mike Evans to me would be #3. After that, it becomes arguable from there on down. Many would put OBJ there, and I wouldn't argue with it. If we are basing it on TALENT, then Watkins makes my top 5. If we are basing it on production, then I would put Jordy here.

Put a healthy Sammy on a team with a QB who can get him the ball, and his production would be on par with anyone in the NFL. But he had bad luck and had his foot injury suffer a set back impacting his season this year and he has spent half of all his games played catching passes from either Orton or EJ and the other from a run first QB on a run first team. But what he does with his targets is among the best in the NFL when healthy. He is an immense talent at WR, and to disregard it because of the offense he is in and his non career threatening foot injury is foolish IMO.

PS: If we get back to the original topic of this thread...

Without a shadow of a doubt, this board would be calling for the pitchforks if Sammy pulled an OBJ this week in both going to Florida and his poor performance on the field. They would have also tar and feathered him after his sideline tantrums this year too.

To further this point, if we had drafted OBJ instead of Sammy and OBJ was a Buffalo Bill and had similar production he has had in NY, then for the above mentioned things he would still be getting crushed here and ran out of town. But players on other teams always get a pass, while we tear down our best players here regularly.

Well considering he was #3 in the entire NFL in WR efficiency in 2015, not hard to come to that conclusion.

Antonio Brown is unquestionably the best WR in football. After that the clear #2 is Juilo Jones. Mike Evans to me would be #3. After that, it becomes arguable from there on down. Many would put OBJ there, and I wouldn't argue with it. If we are basing it on TALENT, then Watkins makes my top 5. If we are basing it on production, then I would put Jordy here.

Put a healthy Sammy on a team with a QB who can get him the ball, and his production would be on par with anyone in the NFL. But he had bad luck and had his foot injury suffer a set back impacting his season this year and he has spent half of all his games played catching passes from either Orton or EJ and the other from a run first QB on a run first team. But what he does with his targets is among the best in the NFL when healthy. He is an immense talent at WR, and to disregard it because of the offense he is in and his non career threatening foot injury is foolish IMO.

Without a shadow of a doubt, this board would be calling for the pitchforks if Sammy pulled an OBJ this week in both going to Florida and his poor performance on the field. They would have also tar and feathered him after his sideline tantrums this year too.

To further this point, if we had drafted OBJ instead of Sammy and OBJ was a Buffalo Bill and had similar production he has had in NY, then for the above mentioned things he would still be getting crushed here and ran out of town. But players on other teams always get a pass, while we tear down our best players here regularly.

Hopkins? AJ Green?

C'mon bro.

Also please leave the media reaction out of this. OBJ is getting killed right now. Bad point.

Actually Mike Evans drops balls and Jordy benefits from a superstar @ QB. Sorry every long ball thrown in 2015 Sammy got and the issue continually was YAC as He caught almost all in traffic or by the sideline and never in motion.

The point is that this board and the media is continually railing about the trade to draft him and the injuries whereas his on field performances generally very good when the qb looks his direction.

Can imagine OBJ if he was targeted 2-4X/game and lined up outside as a decoy the majority of the game.

Hopkins? AJ Green?

C'mon bro.

Also please leave the media reaction out of this. OBJ is getting killed right now. Bad point.

1...the topic of this post was about OBJ and his antics. So that is why I got back to the point of this thread.

2...Hopkins and AJ green are great WR's as well. But the reason I put Jordy ahead of them (and those would both be the next 2 on my list) is because I feel Jordy is a more complete WR with edges in route running and blocking.

3...I specifically stated after the top 3, you can make cases for multiple guys. I gave the nod to OBJ at 4.

Sammy is more productive than both Green and Hopkins with his targets. Their total stats are higher because they have been force fed targets where Sammy has been saddled with EJ/Orton/Taylor combo, 3 OC's in 3 Years, a run first team who is at the bottom of the league in pass attempts, and a foot injury. I believe on a talent to talent basis, Sammy is 100% among the 10 best in the league right now if all things are equal, and could be argued as a top 5. Just my opinion of Sammy.

Actually Mike Evans drops balls and Jordy benefits from a superstar @ QB. Sorry every long ball thrown in 2015 Sammy got and the issue continually was YAC as He caught almost all in traffic or by the sideline and never in motion.

The point is that this board and the media is continually railing about the trade to draft him and the injuries whereas his on field performances generally very good when the qb looks his direction.

Can imagine OBJ if he was targeted 2-4X/game and lined up outside as a decoy the majority of the game.

Totally agree for the most part with what you said.

As far as my ranking of Evans and Jordy...just personal opinion based on a couple things that make them stand out for me. I have Evans at #3 because you can't teach size. Yes he's dropped a few, but for each one of those he has plenty of catches that most other WR's couldn't go get. And he is young and improving. As far as Jordy goes, he absolutely benefits from Rodgers, and before last year I would have said the same thing. But then I watched the GB offense struggle mightily without him despite being what appeared to be a deep and talented WR group before the injury. Made me realize how good Jordy really is. He runs precise routes, has gifted hands and is a great blocker to boot. Look at what GB has done this year with him back and at full strength. Its more than just playing with Rodgers.

It's actually not. Spend a season reading the Post and the Daily News.

Exactly. The Buffalo media bashes the on field performance of this team and its players. The NY media, especially the Post and Daily love to dig into players personal lives. The Buffalo media stays out of that stuff for the most part.

"98% percent of people don't care about OBJ"? Far more than 2% of football fans certainly care about OBJ. He is on the radar to the average pro football fan far more than Watkins is this point of his career. I'm not bashing Watkins or even analyzing his performance. I'm just saying at the moment OBJ is far more relevant in the pro game than Watkins is. He's put up big number playing in NY. That's just what happens. It's not a knock against Watkins. I'm sure Sammy knows this too, and will bolt once his contract is up. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5