Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NHL is not the NFL. The Pegulas would look ridiculous firing coaches in consecutive seasons. If the plan is a rebuild, then Whaley should be gone now with a new GM hiring a new HC. Not buying what you're selling.

Jed York just did that and he's now at the point where everything needs to be blown up in SF.

T/K Pegs don't know it yet, but they'll need to do what Jed's doing this year: gut the entire front office.

But you knew that already.

He is absolutely gone. I think people have been clinging to what I think is a fiction: that Whaley wants to let a coach decide. All signs, however, point to WHALEY wanting to decide about Taylor. And he doesn't want him. That appears to be a fact based on what I know.

Whaley is going down with this god forsaken ship and us fans have to suffer for several more years because of it. Goddammnit.

That's why the TT decision is weird. If Whaley thinks that he's better off without TT in 2017, he's wrong. The decision to move on from TT would have to be "he can get us to the playoffs but you can't win a title with him so we need to start over." In no way can it be "we are going to improve our offense in 2017 with ______ under center."

If Whaley wants to be 4-12 and ready to turn the corner in 2018 that's a different story. I can my imagine that he will make it to 2018 if that's the case.

Let's assume for argument sake that Whaley has a very dim view of TT. If that is the case then his willingness to dispatch TT makes a lot of sense. The biggest issue Whaley probably has with the fleet footed qb is that he doesn't see the whole field. When Whaley watches the tape he sees receivers get open but the qb doesn't properly respond. Whaley repeatedly sees plays develop and the qb's timing to react to the play is just too late to make the connection. This is what the GM sees time and time again. If that is the GM's assessment then in his mind wouldn't it be better to bring in a qb such as McCarron or Glennon who can run a pro offense at a cheaper price?

You often cite statistics to strengthen your case. That is a tribute to you. But statistics don't often apply to plays that are not made that could be made. Whaley invested a lot of resources in both Watkins and Clay. You don't think that the GM gets highly aggravated when he sees these receivers get open and the ball isn't thrown to the spot where it should be thrown?

I have strong suspicions that Whaley doesn't see the cost $$$$ benefit with TT. He has probably made a judgment that unless this running qb adjusts his contract downward then he is not worth the cost. You may think his approach is injudicious and a tad reckless but I don't.

Simple: because Pegula foresees a brutal season to come. This roster is not great and is about to lose its starting QB and a bunch of other key guys.

Might as well let the current guy take the hit for it.

there's no reason to expect a brutal season next year. Remember the ' all we need is a rich owner to spend money' BS we heard. How about we keep the offense as it is and focus on improving the defense and special teams.

Let's assume for argument sake that Whaley has a very dim view of TT. If that is the case then his willingness to dispatch TT makes a lot of sense. The biggest issue Whaley probably has with the fleet footed qb is that he doesn't see the whole field. When Whaley watches the tape he sees receivers get open but the qb doesn't properly respond. Whaley repeatedly sees plays develop and the qb's timing to react to the play is just too late to make the connection. This is what the GM sees time and time again. If that is the GM's assessment then in his mind wouldn't it be better to bring in a qb such as McCarron or Glennon who can run a pro offense at a cheaper price?

You often cite statistics to strengthen your case. That is a tribute to you. But statistics don't often apply to plays that are not made that could be made. Whaley invested a lot of resources in both Watkins and Clay. You don't think that the GM gets highly aggravated when he sees these receivers get open and the ball isn't thrown to the spot where it should be thrown?

I have strong suspicions that Whaley doesn't see the cost $$$$ benefit with TT. He has probably made a judgment that unless this running qb adjusts his contract downward then he is not worth the cost. You may think his approach is injudicious and a tad reckless but I don't.

Does Whaley understand that he is in the WINNING GAMES business?

I wonder what this thread would look like if the report was that the Bills ARE picking up Tyrod's option?

I'm guessing the same (i.e., tire fire and Bills are doomed).

Not saying either side is wrong. Just predictable.

I'm not the one selling it. Neither is Russ BTW. Remember: the team made it clear that this is ALL Whaley. So enjoy.

Just remember... Russ Brandon has NOTHING to do with this. Even the Pegulas are just rubber stamping Whaley's decisions.

Just so we all know who to blame when the team is 3-13 or 4-12 or even 2-14.

Whaley said in his presser that the team is close, so he's not selling that at all. Try again.

I guess you could assume it's all a joke, or assume that the people in charge (the Pegulas and Russ) know a storm is coming and are taking steps to avoid being blamed for it. the team made sure fans knew that Russ was not involved, at all. Isn't that convenient?

Being perceived as being responsible for creating the mess is one thing. Coming into a mess and taking time to fix it buys you a lot of patience. That's why you keep Whaley and let him be the only guy doing press conferences and taking the hits.

I always wondered which was worse, but now that I envision the two, I get it!

I think we're going to be looking for another analogy in short order. I'm trying to think of one that isn't too damaging to the environment but it's exceptionally difficult.

We've got plenty of time this off-season. :lol:

Jed York just did that and he's now at the point where everything needs to be blown up in SF.

T/K Pegs don't know it yet, but they'll need to do what Jed's doing this year: gut the entire front office.

But you knew that already.

To me, it seems so obvious that the thing needs to be razed and rebuilt for real *hint* the Bills haven't had a true rebuild in the past 20 years. The team constantly plugs holes chasing an 8-8 record... hoping to get lucky and hit 9-7 and make the wild card.

My view? Whaley was involved with the drafting of Roethlisberger in 2004, and to him that's what an ideal QB represents. Hence the drafting of tall, big, and big-armed QBs by him (the only kind he's ever drafted--the 6'4 1/2", 250 lb Manuel and the 6'5" 250 lb Jones). He's in love with a type, and it all goes back to Big Ben. That's my take, at least. Let's just say he would have backed Johnson over Flutie!

I wonder what this thread would look like if the report was that the Bills ARE picking up Tyrod's option?

I'm guessing the same (i.e., tire fire and Bills are doomed).

Not saying either side is wrong. Just predictable.

No, I'd be pretty happy (speaking for myself). Most (not all) of the most knowledgeable posters on this board would think the same. I'm pretty certain of that.

Whaley said in his presser that the team is close, so he's not selling that at all. Try again.

That's what Buddy Nix said too. It's what they all say.

This team was close this season and last. With Tyrod. With Gilmore. With Kyle. With Woods. With Lorax. With Brown. With Shady having an amazing season this year. That's true.

The 2017 roster is not the 2016 roster. Take the starting QB out and you get the Jets game, where they were dominated by a 4 win team that looked like it quit for most of the 2nd half of the season.

Edited by TheFunPolice