Gilmore: The Shadow Knows

One game does not a player make. If you think Gilmore plays with a fraction of the fire and heart of Sherman, well the Stephon colored glasses are permanently affixed. Not sure of the reason for the Gilmore love affair, but whatever floats yer boat

Yes, one game makes or breaks a player...that's why the Jets game is the only game that matters when we evaluate Gilmore.

And if you think I said that he's just as good as Sherman, you haven't been paying attention.

I can't make it any clearer than I have.

2 TDs allowed and. 67.7 passer rating allowed--that's his season. And somehow there are folks that claim he's "average" or not good.

It's baffling in every conceivable way.

Exaggerate much?

I just want a CB that when he has the opportunity to STOP a drive and get the D off the field actually makes a tackle. Not either run away or dives at thier feet. I saw Gilmore keep the D on the field like this several times this year.

Can you name any other CBs in Gilmore's echelon that are worse tacklers?

His coverage skills are decent, but if he gives up 1st downs, TDs, and big gainers because he's afraid to tackle, it takes away from the benefits we get from his coverage ability.

You lose all credibility when you call his coverage skills "decent".

You're jaded for some reason and it has you completely closed to the facts.

We've had this chat a dozen times if not more but...

Corner is one of those rare positions we have been so spoiled with here. I think a lot of fans forget what the base line for what average talent is out there. And that shut down corners don't exist either.

Also I don't think I know another position where the expectation is revis. Like, does anyone demand that you get Brady or ray Lewis or ed reed in order to have a good player at their respective positions? It's always straight to revis with corner discussion

Basically

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, one game makes or breaks a player...that's why the Jets game is the only game that matters when we evaluate Gilmore.

And if you think I said that he's just as good as Sherman, you haven't been paying attention.

I can't make it any clearer than I have.

2 TDs allowed and. 67.7 passer rating allowed--that's his season. And somehow there are folks that claim he's "average" or not good.

It's baffling in every conceivable way.

You lose all credibility when you call his coverage skills "decent".

You're jaded for some reason and it has you completely closed to the facts.

Basically

I take this to mean you can't name any other CBs in Gilmore's echelon there worse tacklers.

I take this to mean you can't name any other CBs in Gilmore's echelon there worse tacklers.

I take it that you didn't watch Sherman getting tricked by that juggernaut Vance McDonald?

:lol:

You have one answer to the whole debate: he's not a great tackle.

That's fine--he's a cover guy.

I take it that you didn't watch Sherman getting tricked by that juggernaut Vance McDonald?

:lol:

You have one answer to the whole debate: he's not a great tackle.

That's fine--he's a cover guy.

Reddog's argument would have more validity of the choice was between Gilmore and one of the CB's who is in his echelon who can tackle better. Instead, it's Gilmore vs Corey White. And give me Gilmore all day over him.

Reddog's argument would have more validity of the choice was between Gilmore and one of the CB's who is in his echelon who can tackle better. Instead, it's Gilmore vs Corey White. And give me Gilmore all day over him.

Or if he extended into any level of stats beyond "I feel like I saw Gilmore miss tackles to give up first downs" or however it was worded.

Well, it's basically Gilmore vs a 1st round pick or Kevon Seymour.

Aside from that, I'm astonished that some folks think that Janoris Jenkins, Darius Slay, and Trumaine Johnson are getting their $12M AAV contracts because of their tackling ability (or lack thereof).

That's simply not true.

Guess you missed this TD saving play a few weeks ago.

Nope--saw it.

But he missed a tackle on a TE, which is what he's really paid to do.

If Sherman were any good, he'd do stuff like this to players other than QBs:

http://m.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Stephon-Gilmore-breaks-up-long-pass-to-Gronkowski/7301efd9-a9dc-4bde-8c93-fc3b90616a25

It's so easy to cherry pick!

Or that hit on eifert who is another big guy to lay out

They all have good hits, they all miss tackles. Until red brings some missed tackle stats to quantify the deficit he's claiming exists it's hard to take the argument too seriously

Uh, no it's not. It's the off season. We got fa and the draft. I think we can find someone better.

You also think that Trent Dilfer was "an all time great" :lol:

Seriously

Who?

Who is available that covers better than or as good as Gilly and tackles better?

I just had a very eye-opening moment in comparing yearly tackle numbers between Gilmore and Sherman.

So similar it'll shock some folks.

Or that hit on eifert who is another big guy to lay out

They all have good hits, they all miss tackles. Until red brings some missed tackle stats to quantify the deficit he's claiming exists it's hard to take the argument too seriously

Stats are for losers. There's lies, there,'s damn lies, and then there's statistics.

I don't need stats when I watch the games and see him frequently run away from contact. The books out on him which is why players jump over him now.

Diving low and being jumped over doesn't appear on stat sheets. Being drug 15 yards downfield shows up as a tackle on the stat sheets. I know I saw him make weak effort missing tackles that extended drives at least 3 times this year.

When you have the opportunity to make a diving tackle attempt but instesd slow down to point the finger at one of your team mates, it just perpetuates the culture of losing.

But the stats say he's good, so go with that.

I want guys that want to win.

Stats are for losers. There's lies, there,'s damn lies, and then there's statistics.

I don't need stats when I watch the games and see him frequently run away from contact. The books out on him which is why players jump over him now.

Diving low and being jumped over doesn't appear on stat sheets. Being drug 15 yards downfield shows up as a tackle on the stat sheets. I know I saw him make weak effort missing tackles that extended drives at least 3 times this year.

When you have the opportunity to make a diving tackle attempt but instesd slow down to point the finger at one of your team mates, it just perpetuates the culture of losing.

You don't think Gilmore wants to win?

Tell me who is better.