Head Coach Specialties and DVOA Rankings

section122

I like to look at numbers as they remove a lot of emotion. I know they aren't perfect as they don't take into consideration a lot of context but I came across this and wanted to share as I thought it was interesting.

DVOA (Defensive adjusted Value over Average) attempts to take numbers and add context to them. What I found was that coaches specialty and there resulting rankings didn't mirror like you think they would (much like Rex, a defensive guy, having a better offense than defense)

Top 10 teams:

1. Denver - Kubiak is a former QB and OC

2. NYG - McAdoo was the OC last year

3. Arizona - Arians was an OC by trade

4. Philly - Pederson is a former OC and QB

5. Seattle - Defensive guy in Carrol

6. Baltimore - Harbaugh was a ST coordinator also DB Coach

7. Houston - BOB is an OC by trade

8. SD - McCoy is an OC by trade

9. Minn - Zimmer is a DC

10. Carolina - Rivera DV

So 6 of the top 10 DVOA defenses (and the top 4) were led by an offensive minded HC. So it seems the HC background has little to no impact on whether a defense is successful. Furthermore 3 of the top 4 defenses will be sitting out of the playoffs as well as 6 of the top 10 will be missing the playoffs.

I'm not sure what any of this means but I thought these numbers were interesting.

I like to look at numbers as they remove a lot of emotion. I know they aren't perfect as they don't take into consideration a lot of context but I came across this and wanted to share as I thought it was interesting.

DVOA (Defensive adjusted Value over Average) attempts to take numbers and add context to them. What I found was that coaches specialty and there resulting rankings didn't mirror like you think they would (much like Rex, a defensive guy, having a better offense than defense)

Top 10 teams:

1. Denver - Kubiak is a former QB and OC

2. NYG - McAdoo was the OC last year

3. Arizona - Arians was an OC by trade

4. Philly - Pederson is a former OC and QB

5. Seattle - Defensive guy in Carrol

6. Baltimore - Harbaugh was a ST coordinator also DB Coach

7. Houston - BOB is an OC by trade

8. SD - McCoy is an OC by trade

9. Minn - Zimmer is a DC

10. Carolina - Rivera DV

So 6 of the top 10 DVOA defenses (and the top 4) were led by an offensive minded HC. So it seems the HC background has little to no impact on whether a defense is successful. Furthermore 3 of the top 4 defenses will be sitting out of the playoffs as well as 6 of the top 10 will be missing the playoffs.

I'm not sure what any of this means but I thought these numbers were interesting.

Nice research.

I honestly am starting to wonder if we should not be looking at a tops ST's coordinaor for HC

HC = rules over all in charge over overall team strategy

OC = needs to be empowered to run his offense....needs to fit the players on hand

DC = needs to be empowered to run his defense.....needs to fit the players on hand

ST = highly under rated as the 3rd part of a team.....field position....points scored on ST's all huge parts of the game

I honestly am starting to wonder if we should not be looking at a tops ST's coordinaor for HC

OC = needs to be empowered to run his offense....needs to fit the players on hand

DC = needs to be empowered to run his defense.....needs to fit the players on hand

ST = highly under rated as the 3rd part of a team.....field position....points scored on ST's all huge parts of the game

Special Teams coordinators are typically master motivators. Not a whole lot of x and o experience. If you can find one that can delgate then you have a good candidate.

What I took from it (I think anyway):

Teams should stop looking at coordinators with units that do well. A hire needs to be more big picture. Having or leading a unit that excels doesn't guarantee success. The HC needs to be a leader and a manager more than an x's and o's kind of guy. I won't say it hurts to excel at x and o as that would be dumb but maybe strategy isn't as important as leading. I think about a Coughlin who needed to change his demeanor before he became the 2 time sb winning coach, John Harbaugh who's highest position was a ST coordinator, Pete Carroll who is a master motivator and I see guys who have more than just a nice resume of coordinator success. Conversely there are your Norv Turners, Wade Phillips, etc... who are great coordinators but not great HCs. I think it is a different skill set.

Who knows maybe I am just trying to talk myself into Lynn or another lesser known guy.