ALynn being interviewed today...

eball

That is why you are best off with a guy who certainly understands the game and knows the ins and outs -- but is a leader of men, a strong delegator and detailed manager rather than simply an x's and o's guy. Rex was a defensive-minded coach, who delegated the offense but oversaw the defense himself. Which side of the ball was better? Before him, St. Doug ran the offense (with his boy Nate) but delegated the defense to Pettine and Schwartz. Which side of the ball was better?

Regardless of who the next coach is, I want him to bring in qualified coordinators on both sides of the ball -- and limit his own involvement in play selection, etc.

THIS!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's so true and the only real way to look at it. No one knows how these guys are going to work out, whether it's for the Bills or any other team. A couple years ago here I did some research which showed that there was not one GM who had made two consecutive good HC hires. The Steelers as a team I think were the only ones but IIRC it wasn't the same guy.

It's certainly a point that no one knows how a coaching hire will really work out. If he's a former HC, he's usually on the market because his last gig didn't work out. If he's an OC or DC, no one knows how he'll adapt to being a HC.

And yet, when you take a guy like (for example) Gus Bradley, who coached a stout D in Seattle and yet had a miserable record in Jacksonville...is it fair to say that as HC, when there's 4 years of horrid D, he at best isn't bringing in the right people and supervising the right schemes to effect change? Maybe not to #1, but improve to mediocre? 30-27-26-24 is just consistently horrid.

I guess we'll find out about that 2 hires in a row thing, because Elway assuredly hired Kubiak and he's about to need to hire someone else. I guess it's a lot about how you define "good HC" choice, but Rick Smith in Houston hired Kubiak, who took them to 3 winning seasons and 2 playoff appearances with Schaub, then hired O'Brien who has had them in the playoffs 2x and 3 9-7 seasons with basically scraps at QB. I can't say I think much of his personnel judgement at QB, but his personnel judgement on defense and otherwise seems excellent and his HC hires seem 2 in a row good.

I think partly it may be so because a coach and GM are often joined at the hip and when one gets the boot, the other does too.

If he gets hired I predict people on this board will either be furious or elated, with no one in between.

I will be in between reguardless of whom they hire

Didn't you hear?

He's not high on the Bills

or the Bills are not high on him...

or ...somebody's not high....

Right carruch?

im hoping that sombody that is not high is Dareus

So much for him having 2nd thoughts lol[/quote

Probably Lynn's agent putting that out there to put pressure on the Bills. Standard operating procedure.

No matter the hire it is going to be hard to move my needle. All of the names mentioned don't really get me excited conversely none of the names give me the "we're doomed to failure" that the Dick Jauron hire gave me.

Jauron being hired was like seeing a car about to hit your car but there's no way to avoid it. Hard times...

It's certainly a point that no one knows how a coaching hire will really work out. If he's a former HC, he's usually on the market because his last gig didn't work out. If he's an OC or DC, no one knows how he'll adapt to being a HC.

And yet, when you take a guy like (for example) Gus Bradley, who coached a stout D in Seattle and yet had a miserable record in Jacksonville...is it fair to say that as HC, when there's 4 years of horrid D, he at best isn't bringing in the right people and supervising the right schemes to effect change? Maybe not to #1, but improve to mediocre? 30-27-26-24 is just consistently horrid.

I guess we'll find out about that 2 hires in a row thing, because Elway assuredly hired Kubiak and he's about to need to hire someone else. I guess it's a lot about how you define "good HC" choice, but Rick Smith in Houston hired Kubiak, who took them to 3 winning seasons and 2 playoff appearances with Schaub, then hired O'Brien who has had them in the playoffs 2x and 3 9-7 seasons with basically scraps at QB. I can't say I think much of his personnel judgement at QB, but his personnel judgement on defense and otherwise seems excellent and his HC hires seem 2 in a row good.

I think partly it may be so because a coach and GM are often joined at the hip and when one gets the boot, the other does too.

Not to nitpick, but Jax's defense was 13th in DVOA this year.

No way - you scheme up a quick-hitting up-tempo short passing game. The Bills had no coherent plan for success on offense in that game - the Salas touchdown was a total fluke, a broken play where Tyrod scrambled around and made something happen. The Goodwin play was just a go route. Those are not recipes for success against any kind of defense.

Russell Wilson has made a career out of plays like this. We should be doing it more often. Practice it. Call it in the huddle. Hotrod run around on two, BREAK.

This is one reason I think Darrell Bevil should be an option. He does things on offense to take advantage of Russell's unique skill set. Probably could come up with some good ideas for our guy.

Russell Wilson has made a career out of plays like this. We should be doing it more often. Practice it. Call it in the huddle. Hotrod run around on two, BREAK.

This is one reason I think Darrell Bevil should be an option. He does things on offense to take advantage of Russell's unique skill set. Probably could come up with some good ideas for our guy.

Except no one questioned Russell Wilson's ability to read defenses, anticipate throws, or run an offense in college. They literally just questioned his height and if a player of his size could play QB in the NFL.

The problem with Reich is that, no matter how qualified, the instant backlash will be that he is nothing more than a PR hire.

The Bills are pros at dealing with instant backlash; in fact, they are pros at creating it!

OK, that's positive. They were much improved on yards too. But the #s I quoted were for points given up, and it's points that win games.

I will admit that I don't know either way how Bradley has coached that team, other than to say they are usually in it and blow it near the end. But I do hesitate to automatically assume that a defensive minded coach is totally responsible for his whole team's defense the way a straight DC would. A guy like Rex, who says and it's clear that he is totally responsible for the defense, sure. A guy like Mike McCarthy being totally responsible for his offense, sure. But a lot of offensive or defensive minded coaches don't spend nearly as much time on their specialty, as they devote their time to offense, special teams, overall game planning, etc. I would fault Jim Schwartz, say, for his overall Lions record as a HC, but not totally responsible for their defensive stats during his tenure.