The Deep State War Heats Up :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, TPS said:

Not sure where this article should go, but there are so many issues related to discussions here, it seemed like a good place...

http://www.atimes.com/article/oil-and-gas-geopolitics-no-shelter-from-the-storm/

Ah, sure is nice being energy independent! 

7 hours ago, GG said:

The action is pure money laundering, but I don't think that a state can be guilty of money laundering laws, which usually apply to individuals.  But states can be guilty of sanctions violations.  This is pretty ballsy, in any event, and you have to imagine that it's true if AP is reporting it.

I'm not sure how using the $ as a vehicle currency to convert Iranian funds held in Omani rials into euros would constitute laundering? The $ is used all of the time in this way. In order for the transactions to go forward, the banks involved would need the temporary license so as not to "violate" the sanctions. The only thing to see here is the administration tried to do Iran a favor, helping get access to some illiquid funds, as an additional reward for signing the deal.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I'm not sure how using the $ as a vehicle currency to convert Iranian funds held in Omani rials into euros would constitute laundering? The $ is used all of the time in this way. In order for the transactions to go forward, the banks involved would need the temporary license so as not to "violate" the sanctions. The only thing to see here is the administration tried to do Iran a favor, helping get access to some illiquid funds, as an additional reward for signing the deal.

This is the same as saying that drug dealers owning a legitimate storefront to launder money is ok because they were transacting in legal currencies.  Bottom line was that the funds were illiquid for a reason, and the only way to make them liquid was to evade rules.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GG said:

This is the same as saying that drug dealers owning a legitimate storefront to launder money is ok because they were transacting in legal currencies.  Bottom line was that the funds were illiquid for a reason, and the only way to make them liquid was to evade rules.

Guilty until proven innocent? 

As a major oil player, Iran had/has billions in funds held outside the country. I doubt very much the US would've gotten involved if the funds were dirty. I'll wait for more details before I say they're guilty. This wasn't the CIA, it was Treasury and State. 

9 minutes ago, TPS said:

Guilty until proven innocent? 

As a major oil player, Iran had/has billions in funds held outside the country. I doubt very much the US would've gotten involved if the funds were dirty. I'll wait for more details before I say they're guilty. This wasn't the CIA, it was Treasury and State. 

Are you saying that it was harder for Obama & Co to bend Treasury & State to its shenanigans than CIA & FBI?

On 6/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

:beer: 

Oh, don't mistake my passion for finding the truth of this surface level conspiracy. Dev has had me pegged for MONTHS. This all ends with ETI landing on the White House lawn in 2021... THEN they'll explain to me what's really going on in Antarctica. :ph34r:

ET LOL.  If he has been eating Reese's Pieces this whole time he is going to look like Jabba the Hut or even Pizza the Hut and the whole thing will be mistaken for an invasion.  Better get Jeff Goldfarb to start writing that virus right now.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

:beer: 

Oh, don't mistake my passion for finding the truth of this surface level conspiracy. Dev has had me pegged for MONTHS. This all ends with ETI landing on the White House lawn in 2021... THEN they'll explain to me what's really going on in Antarctica:ph34r:

(joking for those who don't know me)

When you don't understand what you're reading, or context clues, and have nothing to offer on a subject - just post an out of context discussion from 2014 and hope no one notices. 

:lol: 

We already know.  

Image result for antarctica flat earth map

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Are you saying that it was harder for Obama & Co to bend Treasury & State to its shenanigans than CIA & FBI?

No. I’m saying It wasn’t some nefarious plot which required illegal activity. Hopefully we’ll find out more details then we’ll know whose speculation is correct. 

Btw, if you haven’t, read that article I posted, as there are a lot of interesting financial issues related to the $ international system. 

Edited by TPS

10 hours ago, GG said:

My understanding is that the funds were illiquid because they were Onani rials, which themselves are illiquid.  Not because they were frozen.

Don't know if that's true or not about Omani rials.  I would not be surprised, though, if Iran established legitimate positions in alternate curriencies during the sanctions regime.

Just now, DC Tom said:

My understanding is that the funds were illiquid because they were Onani rials, which themselves are illiquid.  Not because they were frozen.

Don't know if that's true or not about Omani rials.  I would not be surprised, though, if Iran established legitimate positions in alternate curriencies during the sanctions regime.

Is curriencies a new type of currency, or are you just an idiot?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DC Tom said:

I'm typing on a cell phone on a moving train full of annoying kids.  

What's your excuse?

Always blaming it on someone else. Cell phone... moving train... annoying kids... take some personal responsibility for once.

5 minutes ago, peace out said:

Always blaming it on someone else. Cell phone... moving train... annoying kids... take some personal responsibility for once.

This train's chock full of brain-dead, oblivious zombies, though.  It's like WalMart on wheels.  Dumbest bunch of riders I've ever seen.

What's your stop?

9 hours ago, TPS said:

No. I’m saying It wasn’t some nefarious plot which required illegal activity. Hopefully we’ll find out more details then we’ll know whose speculation is correct. 

Btw, if you haven’t, read that article I posted, as there are a lot of interesting financial issues related to the $ international system. 

If that article doesn't say "outside of the US and some parts of Western Europe, the entire world is run on bribery", then it is bunk.

Edited by 4merper4mer

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Again, that's immaterial.  Funds could have been swamp real estate or any other non-liquid assets.  But the process to convert the illiquid assets to highly liquid ones would have skirted the existing rules.

I do love the delicious irony that it was the banks that said NFW

• Like (+1) 1