Disconnecting From Work

Chef Jim

A new law in France that was enacted Jan 1st allows workers to not have to "work" while they are off the clock. With many of us carrying our office in our pocket it's sometimes hard or even impossible to disconnect. Emails/texts/calls from clients, vendors, customers, bosses, coworkers getting to you 24/7 is frustrating. I don't think we need a law here in the US like in France. See the big difference is here in the US we have !@#$ing BALLS! I have completely turned off all notifications for my work email to my phone. I leave work it's up to me whether or not I want to continue to work not by boss so no need for the pansy French law. So my question is how many of you continue to work when you're "off the clock" and how many of you do because your boss expects you to?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all makes sense now.

1/16th French in total, mostly due to a guy name Willet. Thanks to Mr LaDue. He was my great, great grandfather, or maybe my great great great grandfather.

He was at one point the 2nd largest shareholder of US Steel back in the late 19th century. He got married to a second wife after the first passed during giving birth to my grandpa. His new wife and her daughter got the money, whom last we knew lived quite the great life in Florida. My dad once looked them up and they wanted nothing to do with anyone else - they're still rich af.

Either way, I do not ever turn my phone off silent. ive been called or awoken by troopers, deputies, firemen etc at all hours with cows out. they're my neighbors almost every time. i had mine get out at 3am once, roughly 50 of them just walking down the road. troopers were there far before me and it looked like a damn parade. troopers enjoyed it saying it was fun and something different.

at other work jobs, i've worked 2nd and fell asleep around 2am/3am many times and get a call that something was wrong and had to go back and would be there until 7-8-9am.

i just work. and love it.

was someone listening to howard stern???

A new law in France that was enacted Jan 1st allows workers to not have to "work" while they are off the clock. With many of us carrying our office in our pocket it's sometimes hard or even impossible to disconnect. Emails/texts/calls from clients, vendors, customers, bosses, coworkers getting to you 24/7 is frustrating. I don't think we need a law here in the US like in France. See the big difference is here in the US we have !@#$ing BALLS! I have completely turned off all notifications for my work email to my phone. I leave work it's up to me whether or not I want to continue to work not by boss so no need for the pansy French law. So my question is how many of you continue to work when you're "off the clock" and how many of you do because your boss expects you to?

I'm my own boss, so I know what I, personally, need to do to make my company work.

That said, I have six employees, all six-figure programmers who work from home. All married, with kids and a mortgage. While we stress customer service, best programming practices, etc., the bottom line is that programmers are useless without their brain. The industry tends to burn them out, and we know this, so our #1 priority for everyone is quality of life.

We urge them to be involved in their family. Coach their kids' teams. Take vacations. We help each other when workloads get crazy, or pitch in when life throws them a curve ball. When it's busy, yes, we have to peddle faster, but weekends and evenings are almost always held sacred. And we tell the customer 'no' if it's going to infringe on all of this, and our customers know and appreciate this...or we don't work with them.

Screw the French.

and we post here during our work hours. I'll take our situation. I am taking next friday off as a personal day.....reason? Frday The Firkenteenth(happens every friday the 13th), they get unique and one off firkins of beer and it's a day long celebration at a place in northeast Philly. I'd like to see a euro try and do that.

Here's an article from 2015

https://billypenn.com/2015/11/14/friday-the-firkinteenth-inside-the-northeast-philly-celebration-of-real-beer/

same thought.

they sleep like 7 hours in the middle of the day there.

Edited by The Poojer

I'm my own boss, so I know what I, personally, need to do to make my company work.

That said, I have six employees, all six-figure programmers who work from home. All married, with kids and a mortgage. While we stress customer service, best programming practices, etc., the bottom line is that programmers are useless without their brain. The industry tends to burn them out, and we know this, so our #1 priority for everyone is quality of life.

We urge them to be involved in their family. Coach their kids' teams. Take vacations. We help each other when workloads get crazy, or pitch in when life throws them a curve ball. When it's busy, yes, we have to peddle faster, but weekends and evenings are almost always held sacred. And we tell the customer 'no' if it's going to infringe on all of this, and our customers know and appreciate this...or we don't work with them.

Screw the French.

Can I have a job? I'm not a programmer, but I will work long hours and even work from home if needed.

Screw the French.

Well aren't you just an !@#$ boss!! Run your minions into the ground like any other normal business owner!

I'll check my emails from home only to weed out the stuff that will need to help me when at work. As I get sent hourly reports sent to my email that pile up fast if don't attend to them off the clock plus re-reading important emails both on and off the clock keeps my mind refreshed on what's important/need to focus on in the coming days/weeks etc. That said when most people ask me how work is my response is "It's there" as I rarely have my mind focused on work outside the office.