Do the Bills realize it is 2016, not 1976?

A better coached passing game opens up the running game. The Bills worst games were not great running performances. Most of those came in games they won.

All teams trail during the year, it's how they come back (and almost always by passing the ball) that separates winners from losers.

How many times did the Bills try ground and pound when down and then really be forced into passing situations.

how much better than #1 is there? Edited by BaaadThingsMan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Outliers? Look at the playoff teams last year and tell me where they ranked in rushing.

Carolina. Seattle. Minnesota. Kansas city. Green bay. Pitt. Arizona. Cincy.

Almost every damn playoff team ranked in the top 10 in rushing.

3 of the teams in the top 5 in passing are out of the playoffs: Saints, Skins, Colts.

Half of the teams in the top 10 in passing are not in the playoffs.

In other words, playoff teams do things well. Non-playoff teams, not so much

A better coached passing game opens up the running game. The Bills worst games were not great running performances. Most of those came in games they won.

All teams trail during the year, it's how they come back (and almost always by passing the ball) that separates winners from losers.

How many times did the Bills try ground and pound when down and then really be forced into passing situations.

also, why are the teams trailing in the game? Because they couldn't pass the ball? Run it? Did the offense score on itself? Special teams maybe? Any offense that can score points, regardless of how, can win games with even a competent defense. One who makes timely plays and create turnovers and tds, those are the truly great Ds. Add a Buffalo #1 rushing attack to one of those and let me know what you come up with.

2002 we were 5th with Bledsoe. Highest since then is 15th in 2011 with Fitz

2 playoff teams huh? No? Hmm

And I for one think TT should be resigned and is a good QB if he had plays specifically charted for Watkins and was allowed to make calls and audible at the LOS.

Watching the 2 minute hurry up told me they don't practice it or give him autonomy.

Why do you think he wasn't given that option (if indeed he wasn't)? Could it be he just cannot handle it mentally - cannot process what he's seeing quick enough to make it work?

If we had a damn defense we'd be in the playoffs........

Seriously tho. Period. Wed be playing this week and the fins would be at home eating clams and kthulu turkeys

And the Bills can't and refuse to address it.

Really is there anyone here actually happy with the passing game? Seriously?

And I for one think TT should be resigned and is a good QB if he had plays specifically charted for Watkins and was allowed to make calls and audible at the LOS.

Watching the 2 minute hurry up told me they don't practice it or give him autonomy.

This is another point you cant expect Tyrod to develop into an elite passer when you never let him throw the ball and the pass play concepts are sooo pop warner u have trent dilfer and bill cowher calling them out

Edited by Marty McFly

Seriously tho. Period. Wed be playing this week and the fins would be at home eating clams and kthulu turkeys

This is another point you cant expect Tyrod to develop into an elite passer when you never let him throw the ball and the pass play concepts are sooo pop warner u have trent dilfer and bill cowher calling them out

Exactly the point. Everyone watching could see the Passing offense had no imagination and was so simplistic that defending it was simple, TT threw some nice long balls to Watkins and was elusive, which created opportinuites too, but way too often no one was open because it was so simple to defend.

Geez everyone saw that and it wasn't addressed in 2 years.

The KC game last year may have been the most frustrating, where Watkins shredded the D the first half and was targeted once the second half and not a single adjustment.

Exactly the point. Everyone watching could see the Passing offense had no imagination and was so simplistic that defending it was simple, TT threw some nice long balls to Watkins and was elusive, which created opportinuites too, but way too often no one was open because it was so simple to defend.

Geez everyone saw that and it wasn't addressed in 2 years.

The KC game last year may have been the most frustrating, where Watkins shredded the D the first half and was targeted once the second half and not a single adjustment.

That last play in the Seattle game was terrible. Bills knew the sea pigeons were playing zone and couldnt find a good enuff passing play to take advantage of it like they did vs 2nd Miami game on the TD to Clay in the 4th. Makea me wonder if they keep Lynn what kinda passing game we will have Edited by Marty McFly

it's 2017 and ask the Saints about a great passing game. Brees over 5000 yards again and no playoffs

Cousins put up nearly 5000 too. No playoffs.

Rivers, luck, flacco, Palmer ... all top 10 in yards

Brock had fewer yards than TT, playing next weekend

So is Dak (3600)

Alex (3500)

Dalton and Winston threw for more than Eli

There are 4 playoff QBs in the bottom third YPG for 2016.

Apparently in 2016 you still just need to score more than you allow your opponent, however you can.

Cousins put up nearly 5000 too. No playoffs.

Rivers, luck, flacco, Palmer ... all top 10 in yards

Brock had fewer yards than TT, playing next weekend

So is Dak (3600)

Alex (3500)

Dalton and Winston threw for more than Eli

There are 4 playoff QBs in the bottom third YPG for 2016.

Apparently in 2016 you still just need to score more than you allow your opponent, however you can.

Brock is a disaster playing for a team in a disastrous division who put won 9 games. I've explained Dak and his ability to at least hit 200 yards and be ahead most of the game. Alex Smith and KC again do other things well however their fans too lament their passing game and that often is cited as their achilles heel.

Forget the Defense for a minute, though I'll point out since some go on and on, that 6 playoff teams allowed more yards then Buffalo this year (Bills were 18th, others 22nd or worse). As for points allowed the Bills were actually 16th (middle of the pack).

Is there not a single person here who doesn't think a better coached passing game would have been the difference in the Bills making the playoffs?

Edited by Billsfan1972

The Bills continually rank near the bottom in passing. They point to the running game that they still think it is the 70's.

For 2016 Passing accounted for 71.7% of total yardage and the Bills were 53.6%. #2 in rushing was the 13-3 Dallas Cowboys who were ahead in the majority of games and had a Rookie QB and still passing was 60.2% (next was Tennesse 61.8%).

Of playoff teams, Dallas, Miami & Houston ranked in the bottom third of the league in passing yards, and I'd say they are outliers.

The Bills had 10 games under 200 yards passing. Dallas 3 (includes last game with Mark Sanchez).......

Until they realize that it is 2016 and have a scheme where a 300 yard passing game is a yardstick, not a pipe dream they will not compete.

Passing is not their personnel's strength. It would be stupid to play to your weaknesses. This is just another way to say that they need a great QB. I think that they are aware of that and are trying to find one.

Outliers? Look at the playoff teams last year and tell me where they ranked in rushing.

Carolina. Seattle. Minnesota. Kansas city. Green bay. Pitt. Arizona. Cincy.

Almost every damn playoff team ranked in the top 10 in rushing.

How many are 30th or worse in passing? The balance wasn't there.

Passing is not their personnel's strength. It would be stupid to play to your weaknesses. This is just another way to say that they need a great QB. I think that they are aware of that and are trying to find one.

That is what I'm just not sure about and harp on. I think the offensive schemes (passing) were plain lousy and TT had no chance to succeed. The use of Watkins when healthy was atrocious.

Watch OBJ on Sunday and the multiple sets, formations and where he lines up. Eli has had a bad year. but the Giants will do what's necessary to target him and get him involved.

I take it you missed statistics for idiots 101. One data point doesn't make a meaningful sample and isn't representative of the entirety of the body of work from a player. Try looking back at ALL of the times they were in that position. Taylor was mostly ineffective. Empirical evidence supports your Miami game as an anomaly.

In all seriousness, I do not recall too many times the Bills defense was able to give the offence the ball back with 1:30 to 2 minutes remaining on the clock, then again I am getting old and usually had too much to drink by the 4th quarter. Since you obviously are a stats person, could you tell me exactly how many times TT was able to operate the 2 minute drill, and the result of each of those attempts. It is often stated as fact in TBD that TT sucks at the 2 minute drill, I have never seen anyone quantify such a statement. Thanks

Brock is a disaster playing for a team in a disastrous division who put won 9 games. I've explained Dak and his ability to at least hit 200 yards and be ahead most of the game. Alex Smith and KC again do other things well however their fans too lament their passing game and that often is cited as their achilles heel.

Forget the Defense for a minute, though I'll point out since some go on and on, that 6 playoff teams allowed more yards then Buffalo this year (Bills were 18th, others 22nd or worse). As for points allowed the Bills were actually 16th (middle of the pack).

Is there not a single person here who doesn't think a better coached passing game would have been the difference in the Bills making the playoffs?

I agree we need a better passing game but don't you agree the defense was the main problem this season, considering the hype of having the Ryans brothers running it?