Do the Bills realize it is 2016, not 1976?

The Bills continually rank near the bottom in passing. They point to the running game that they still think it is the 70's.

For 2016 Passing accounted for 71.7% of total yardage and the Bills were 53.6%. #2 in rushing was the 13-3 Dallas Cowboys who were ahead in the majority of games and had a Rookie QB and still passing was 60.2% (next was Tennesse 61.8%).

Of playoff teams, Dallas, Miami & Houston ranked in the bottom third of the league in passing yards, and I'd say they are outliers.

The Bills had 10 games under 200 yards passing. Dallas 3 (includes last game with Mark Sanchez).......

Until they realize that it is 2016 and have a scheme where a 300 yard passing game is a yardstick, not a pipe dream they will not compete.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills continually rank near the bottom in passing. They point to the running game that they still think it is the 70's.

For 2016 Passing accounted for 71.7% of total yardage and the Bills were 53.6%. #2 in rushing was the 13-3 Dallas Cowboys who were ahead in the majority of games and had a Rookie QB and still passing was 60.2% (next was Tennesse 61.8%).

Of playoff teams, Dallas, Miami & Houston ranked in the bottom third of the league in passing yards, and I'd say they are outliers.

The Bills had 10 games under 200 yards passing. Dallas 3 (includes last game with Mark Sanchez).......

Until they realize that it is 2016 and have a scheme where a 300 yard passing game is a yardstick, not a pipe dream they will not compete.

Outliers? Look at the playoff teams last year and tell me where they ranked in rushing.

Carolina. Seattle. Minnesota. Kansas city. Green bay. Pitt. Arizona. Cincy.

Almost every damn playoff team ranked in the top 10 in rushing.

it's 2017 and ask the Saints about a great passing game. Brees over 5000 yards again and no playoffs

3 of the teams in the top 5 in passing are out of the playoffs: Saints, Skins, Colts.

Half of the teams in the top 10 in passing are not in the playoffs.

Outliers? Look at the playoff teams last year and tell me where they ranked in rushing.

Carolina. Seattle. Minnesota. Kansas city. Green bay. Pitt. Arizona. Cincy.

Almost every damn playoff team ranked in the top 10 in rushing.

3 of the teams in the top 5 in passing are out of the playoffs: Saints, Skins, Colts.

Half of the teams in the top 10 in passing are not in the playoffs.

If we had a damn defense we'd be in the playoffs........

it's 2017 and ask the Saints about a great passing game. Brees over 5000 yards again and no playoffs

That is an example... they also ranked last in pass defense so there is that...

The bottom 6 of the NFL includes the Jets, Houston, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rams, and 49ers. Not good company...

It is necessary to create some kind of air attack.

Ok I agree a SB contender needs a QB who can throw the football, but that was not the Bills biggest issue on this years team. I mean Watkins and McCoy both said discipline on the team was (to paraphrase) Awful! That showed as the Bills for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW were among the top 10 in most penalties. The Bills are not good enough to overcome badly timed penalties. that is also something a new coach could correct rather quickly while building the D back up, the Bills need to stop beating themselves.

The biggest statistical "yardstick" to success in the NFL is turnovers. There are always outliers, no doubt and to a degree, the Bills were one of them this year. 7th in turnover margin and no playoffs. Historically, there's no better correlation to winning than turnovers. Teams going +1 in a game have won 90% of the time. +2 and teams have won 95% of the time. +3 and it jumps to 98%.

With that said for me, I don't need to see a team throwing all over the field every game. What I need to see is a team that CAN throw the ball when they have to. That is what's missing from this team IMO. Give them 2m to go 50 yards for even a field goal and they can't do it.

I keep posting this on two bills drive, but once again i will say it. Football is a complete team game. You can't win with just one unit. You can't win with one dimension. Even the packers. When they were 4-6 or whatever they were, A rod still had 24 touchdowns and 8 picks or something with lots of yards. They didn't win because they had a bad defence and no run game. Kansas city is the ultimate example of how to play and win like a team

Edited by billsfan11

I keep posting this on two bills drive, but once again i will say it. Football is a complete team game. You can't win with just one unit. You can't win with one dimension. Even the packers. When they were 4-6 or whatever they were, A rod still had 24 touchdowns and 8 picks or something with lots of yards. They didn't win because they had a bad defence and no run game. Kansas city is the ultimate example of how to play and win like a team

Agreed.

The biggest statistical "yardstick" to success in the NFL is turnovers. There are always outliers, no doubt and to a degree, the Bills were one of them this year. 7th in turnover margin and no playoffs. Historically, there's no better correlation to winning than turnovers. Teams going +1 in a game have won 90% of the time. +2 and teams have won 95% of the time. +3 and it jumps to 98%.

With that said for me, I don't need to see a team throwing all over the field every game. What I need to see is a team that CAN throw the ball when they have to. That is what's missing from this team IMO. Give them 2m to go 50 yards for even a field goal and they can't do it.

I take it you missed the Dolphins game.

Even the Patriots offense is built off jamming Blount down people's throats and quick passes to WRs in space that are essentially part of the run game.

A strong defense and running game beats a QB looking to air it out. It was true in 1976 and it's true now. Why are Alex Smith and Dak Prescott enjoying byes this week while Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers & Cam Newton watching at home?

it really is that simple

No it is not...... You can't rank 28th in passing and refuse to use your #1 weapon and think you can win. Seattle and Dallas (who've won nothing yet) have pass games that they use. They turn to the running game to slow down the game and eat clock.

When the defense does fail, you have to be able to move the ball through the air and score.

The Bills had 10!!!!!! games under 200 yards passing. Won't cut it.......

7th in the NFL in scoring points....just sayin