Evaluation of Tyrod...

eball

...isn't it logical and reasonable that the reason Whaley isn't making any definitive statements with respect to Tyrod is because he wants to hear from the HC candidates what they think of him and his potential ceiling? The Bills don't have to make a decision on the option until March, and certainly a new coach will be in place by then.

Just throwing that out there...if you're interviewing for the HC job I think you'd like to have a say in who your starting QB will be, and any strong comments made by Whaley at this point (positive or negative) could impact the process.

Daily Tyrod thread.

...isn't it logical and reasonable that the reason Whaley isn't making any definitive statements with respect to Tyrod is because he wants to hear from the HC candidates what they think of him and his potential ceiling? The Bills don't have to make a decision on the option until March, and certainly a new coach will be in place by then.

Just throwing that out there...if you're interviewing for the HC job I think you'd like to have a say in who your starting QB will be, and any strong comments made by Whaley at this point (positive or negative) could impact the process.

Yes it is logical and reasonable. I think that is what most of the posters have been saying over the last week or so. Isn't it?

This is a big decision that the new head coach will be the biggest "decision maker" on. The reason the new coach will be the biggest decision maker on this subject is because, as the contract sits, a new coach will be betting his coaching tenure on Tyrod succeeding if the Bills pick up the option on Tyrod's contract.

That is why Whaley is silent about Tyrod. If he opens his mouth about Tyrod too much, it could directly (and negatively) affect the pool of coaches the Bills have to choose from. That means it could directly impact Whaley's future and the Bills' future. So it would be irresponsible of him to say anything unless he is intentionally trying to limit his coaching options for some reason.

i don't have a problem with keeping him see who new coach is. Go from there.

My question is: Whaley says his job is to sign the 53. If it's his job, then why doesn't he make the decision to sign or tell TT he's gone? Seems to me Whaley won't or can't do his job.

For the reasons mentioned above, VAB. If the new coach likes Tyrod and is willing to abide by him, Whaley signs Tyrod long term. DW doesn't want to force Tyrod on a real coaching prospect who may want to go another way. ie: if we traded away picks for Sean Peyton, he may have a inroad to bring Drew Brees here. There'd be no room for him if we've committed $20+M to Tyrod.

For the reasons mentioned above, VAB. If the new coach likes Tyrod and is willing to abide by him, Whaley signs Tyrod long term. DW doesn't want to force Tyrod on a real coaching prospect who may want to go another way. ie: if we traded away picks for Sean Peyton, he may have a inroad to bring Drew Brees here. There'd be no room for him if we've committed $20+M to Tyrod.

Too logical. That can't be the truth. Haven't you heard, everyone in the Bills organization is clueless and should be fired.

My question is: Whaley says his job is to sign the 53. If it's his job, then why doesn't he make the decision to sign or tell TT he's gone? Seems to me Whaley won't or can't do his job.

his job IS to sign the 53 ...that are the best fit for the coach and system/scheme. Good grief. Edited by YoloinOhio

That's what he implied, I thought. He said they would wait til they hired an HC before evaluating anybody.

Made the presser useless from a "future plans" standpoint, because Whaley would give no crumbs about players or even HC candidates.

Edited by FireChan

Good post. It would be irresponsible for Whaley to sign key skill position players before understanding the offensive and defensive systems that his future unknown coaches will be running. Would you sign a QB that's a statue in the pocket to a big contract and then hire a coach that's going to implement the spread option? Would you sign a Vince Wilfork type if the defense was going to be a 4-3 and not a 3-4? To me, it's easy to look at why Whaley isn't making comments as it pertains to guys like Taylor.

Maybe he wants input before making his decision

GM's should not be totaliarian the need to be running the overall show and taking input from the "boots on the ground"

That's what he implied, I thought. He said they would wait til they hired an HC before evaluating anybody.

Made the presser useless from a "future plans" standpoint, because Whaley would give no crumbs about players or even HC candidates.

Which is smart....lots of HC job opening this year around the league he should not tip his hand

At the risk of feeding this old news thread........we already hashed this out last week.

The issue isn't why they benched Tyrod it is the bumbling tactless and subsequently incendiery handling of almost any remotely delicate matter. :lol:

Terry Pegula having to set the record straight moments after his GM gave a PC that he and Whaley had been aware they were going to have to do FOR A WEEK is :doh::doh::doh: .

his job IS to sign the 53 ...that are the best fit for the coach and system/scheme. Good grief.

So if BB gets run over by a bus and Brady had an option on his contract coming up, the team should wait until they hire a new coach before exercising that option. You know Brady might not fit the new coaches scheme.

So if BB gets run over by a bus and Brady had an option on his contract coming up, the team should wait until they hire a new coach before exercising that option. You know Brady might not fit the new coaches scheme.

do you see where there might be a difference between Tom Brady and Tyrod Taylor, in this hypothetical scenario? Edited by YoloinOhio