Going to see Steve Martin Friday

boyst

Not sure what to expect besides fun music and good jokes... not sure how it'll come together.

Martin Short will also be on stage, though it is musically focused.

Anyone got insight?

No insight on the show, but a housemate from college had a sister who's close friend (who's hairdresser's buthcher's cousin) was Steve Martin's daughter. She would fly to Aspen or something with them around Christmas. Anyway, the word was he is genuinely a very nice guy. (Cue report that he's been arrested for something heinous.)

We have tickets to Kathleen Madigan Saturday night in Buckhead, but I double booked and am flying out for my annual college hoops pilgrimage. The wife has lined up a buddy to go instead, but I was looking forward to that!

No insight on the show, but a housemate from college had a sister who's close friend (who's hairdresser's buthcher's cousin) was Steve Martin's daughter. She would fly to Aspen or something with them around Christmas. Anyway, the word was he is genuinely a very nice guy. (Cue report that he's been arrested for something heinous.)

We have tickets to Kathleen Madigan Saturday night in Buckhead, but I double booked and am flying out for my annual college hoops pilgrimage. The wife has lined up a buddy to go instead, but I was looking forward to that!

thanks. by all accounts the guy is a nice dude.

Quit dating hipsters. It's like some folk band dude.

she's not a hipster...

Lots of banjo music.

he learned while he was on the road. he decided he needed something to do, picked up a banjo and is now considered the best in the world.

which i enjoy.

Lots of banjo he learned music.

which i enjoy.

Is this different than their other tour? I heard it was kind of 2 guys sitting in easy chairs telling really funny stories. Hell, if you are lucky you'll get a good deal of music from Steve Martin. If you're super lucky, edie Brickell will also make an appearance. Regardless it should be an amazing show

I had a friend in college who was a huge Steve Martin fan...and one day ran into him at the airport.

Friend, being a huge fan and wowed, says "Hey, Steve Martin! What are you doing here?"

Steve conspiratorially looks left, looks right, then leans in close and says "I'm taking a plane." And walks away.

To each his own. But yes, I've heard from banjo music aficionados that he's excellent.

I've seen him play a few times (not live - on TV shows and such.) He is excellent.

I had a friend in college who was a huge Steve Martin fan...and one day ran into him at the airport.

Friend, being a huge fan and wowed, says "Hey, Steve Martin! What are you doing here?"

Steve conspiratorially looks left, looks right, then leans in close and says "I'm taking a plane." And walks away.

I've seen him play a few times (not live - on TV shows and such.) He is excellent.

Ha! Are you sure that wasn't John Travolta? Because that could explain his giant garage. He got away with it!

I wish a few more celebrities would handle it that way. That's hilarious in a "dumbass" sort of way.

Where are you seeing them? I have tickets to the April show in Durham at DPAC.

my friend and her father are going to that one. dpac is great place, the whole tobacco campus is fun. was there for tree lighting, among other things. ponysaurus is a nice lil joint.

i'll be seeing him in charlotte at belk theatre maybe? not the big one downtown, but the bojangles one.

edit...

i don't listen well

this is not going to be steve martin. this is going to be steep canyon rangers, the band he tours with often... which is still fun and all but meh... i still may try to go to see him in durham or charlotte in april.

edit...

i don't listen well

this is not going to be steve martin. this is going to be steep canyon rangers, the band he tours with often... which is still fun and all but meh... i still may try to go to see him in durham or charlotte in april.

When I first saw this thread I was actually going to mention Steep Canyon. If you're not familiar with them, they are a really skilled outfit and put on great shows, particularly when Martin is on the road with them. For my part I wouldn't pay a thin dime to watch two guys sit around in chairs yapping, but I'd always be pumped to catch a Rangers show. You won't be spending an evening listening to a crew of self-indulgent billygoats whining about long lost loves, these guys are legitimate world-class pickers and like to keep things jumping with Martin cracking jokes all the while; you'll probably catch good stuff like a grassed-up version of King Tut, a hymn about how atheists don't have hymns, etc. Keep one eye on the fiddle player; he's a piece of work. I'll be surprised if you don't have a good time.

Here's the Rangers with the great Sam Bush

When I first saw this thread I was actually going to mention Steep Canyon. If you're not familiar with them, they are a really skilled outfit and put on great shows, particularly when Martin is on the road with them. For my part I wouldn't pay a thin dime to watch two guys sit around in chairs yapping, but I'd always be pumped to catch a Rangers show. You won't be spending an evening listening to a crew of self-indulgent billygoats whining about long lost loves, these guys are legitimate world-class pickers and like to keep things jumping with Martin cracking jokes all the while; you'll probably catch good stuff like a grassed-up version of King Tut, a hymn about how atheists don't have hymns, etc. Keep one eye on the fiddle player; he's a piece of work. I'll be surprised if you don't have a good time.

Here's the Rangers with the great Sam Bush

Apparently the Martin/Short gig is much more than that, with skits and a good bit of banjo.