Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why? What's so great about them? Toub is a ST's coach.

I'm on the Toub bandwagon though it doesn't seem as if he's an option.

As many have said, the overall field for hires is weak this year. Picking an untested coordinator is a 50/50 proposition (at best). None of the available O or D coordinators thrill me, and Special Teams coaches have to be far more flexible than their coaching counterparts and have to coach up players from both sides of the ball. For that reason alone, picking a ST coach with a lengthy resume of success appeals to me.

No idea if Toub will be a success as the head man, but I like Reid's coaching tree far more than most others, plus Toub has the respect of players and coaches alike in the league meaning he could (more than likely) put together a good staff. He'd be a boon for Buffalo in terms of perception -- but it doesn't seem as if he's interested in coming here.

This kind of conversation kills me. Of course the answer is because of the injury clause of the contract. That's really the only major reason. And there is also no chance any owner or GM or President or coach is going to say it's because of the injury clause of the contract. That is blatantly clear.

There was a secondary reason too. They wanted to evaluate EJ at this point just to see if he could be a viable back-up or bridge QB. Given the losing state of the season, starting EJ was completely the right decision.

I'm on the Toub bandwagon though it doesn't seem as if he's an option.

As many have said, the overall field for hires is weak this year. Picking an untested coordinator is a 50/50 proposition (at best). None of the available O or D coordinators thrill me, and Special Teams coaches have to be far more flexible than their coaching counterparts and have to coach up players from both sides of the ball. For that reason alone, picking a ST coach with a lengthy resume of success appeals to me.

No idea if Toub will be a success as the head man, but I like Reid's coaching tree far more than most others, plus Toub has the respect of players and coaches alike in the league meaning he could (more than likely) put together a good staff. He'd be a boon for Buffalo in terms of perception -- but it doesn't seem as if he's interested in coming here.

You and me both. I'm a big fan. I wish he was being considered.

Why? What's so great about them? Toub is a ST's coach.

ST coaches have to coach players from both sides of the ball, make snap judgments (quick decisions) in the game, are not married to schemes, etc...

It is a shame that Toub, even Shanny Jr., is not part of this search, fire-able offense IMO if we don't interview them.

Edited by Reed83HOF

Also, why are we not interviewing Coughlin?!? At least he has 2 SB rings and could bring coordinators, as well as teach the Pegula's how to run an NFL team.

Besides Jax, is Coughlin interviewing with any team? Maybe he's eliminated any other possible vacancies.

There was a secondary reason too. They wanted to evaluate EJ at this point just to see if he could be a viable back-up or bridge QB. Given the losing state of the season, starting EJ was completely the right decision.

They should have played Jones. No one had any faith in Manuel in that organization outside of Whaley, and we can see why. He can't play. He was going to be gone anyway. Why play him?

ST coaches have to coach players from both sides of the ball, make snap judgments (quick decisions) in the game, are not married to schemes, etc...

Not trying to bust your balls, but what decisions to they make? The HC decides when to put, if to go for a FG, and likely if they are going to fake a punt. As for who is going to receive punts and kicks, that's already decided before the game.

I must be the only person in the universe who thought that punting there was an acceptable strategy...

I didn't think it was controversial to punt there. If you fail on 4th down the game is effectively over. Punt, use timeouts, get the ball back near midfield with a couple minutes left and THEN play 4 down football on your last drive to kick the GW field goal. NOT controversial to me.

My point was that Whaley and Pegula reportedly were of the same mind about the subject...........opposing Rex's decision.

I have some big doubts on Coughlin. I think the league is changing enough that a good coach of yesterday (if you want to throw Rex in that group) isn't going to be the same moving forward. If you can get one who is hands off enough to let talented coordinators do their thing on both sides of the ball, maybe leadership and discipline are enough.

I also still don't get how the only HC concept and model is a full roster control one, and why there aren't HCs who would be happy to be an awesome HC and let the GM be a GM. And I'm also still not clear what the Pegulas have shown that makes them not a destination. Was it being involved with the Rex hiring? Being involved with the Rex firing (and specifically the timing when pushed on that). Not firing Whaley?

Owner and GM realize the head coach is not living up to his billing and likely going to miss the playoffs. Owner and GM internally and in their weekly conversations probably get pretty sure that they are not going to keep him after the year. HC pushes the Owner in a private conversation without the GM, and Owner has authority and confidence to fire someone and release a statement. GM at subsequent press conference accurately indicates it was the ownership decision and he wasn't involved, but that doesn't mean he has to have a problem, wasn't part of the communication chain, hadn't already expressed an interest in firing him after the season if they missed the playoffs.

I don't see the dumpster fire everybody else does. If Lynn doesn't want a HC opportunity, or is confident enough he will have it elsewhere to walk away, no problem. If some coaches are only interested if they are not under Whaley and have full control, interview and make that clear to ownership, and then not be offered the job if it isn't a fit.

Our biggest issue is not the Ownership or GM right now. It is lack of a competent HC which we are remedying, and it is lack of an excellent QB which we will work on and have Tyrod or better when addressed.

They should have played Jones. No one had any faith in Manuel in that organization outside of Whaley, and we can see why. He can't play. He was going to be gone anyway. Why play him?

I have this weird suspicion that EJ had been lighting it up in practice of late and Whaley thought he'd finally be vindicated for that pick...

I have this weird suspicion that EJ had been lighting it up in practice of late and Whaley thought he'd finally be vindicated for that pick...

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. But then the bright lights were turned on ...

Here it is, represented in animated form. Enjoy! (It's in two short sequential parts.)

and

Edited by dave mcbride

Disagree on Coughlin.

He would demand a winning mentality from everyone and change the **** atmosphere over at OBD.

He'd need strong coordinators though. Still I don't see this happening with Whaley still here.

Which coordinators do you see Coughlin going after if he were to get the job?

No clue.

If assume if Lynn doesn't get a HC job he'd want to keep his as his OC. DC I have no idea.

If you are a coordinator, one good thing about working with Coughlin is that you could come on board and be groomed as the heir apparent.

Great question Dave!

If you are a coordinator, one good thing about working with Coughlin is that you could come on board and be groomed as the heir apparent.

That is exactly what you hope for!

Not trying to bust your balls, but what decisions to they make? The HC decides when to put, if to go for a FG, and likely if they are going to fake a punt. As for who is going to receive punts and kicks, that's already decided before the game.

Don't see it that way at all; fair question...instead of trying to type it all out - this is why personally I really like the ST coordinators for HC gigs...

"Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians is convinced of the same. He is well aware of the daunting challenges that special-teams coaches face on a weekly basis in trying to mix and match personnel for coverage and return units when injuries and roster moves made to address more pressing offensive and defensive needs dictate the players at their disposal. "When you talk about the special-teams guy, he’s in front of the entire team," Arians said. "He’s not like a quarterback coach or coordinator who only has half the team. He’s got the entire team and in a very big setting as far as classroom work. "They’re probably as adept at addressing a football team as anybody.""

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-head-coaching-openings-special-teams-dick-vermeil-john-harbaugh-bill-cowher-mike-ditka-121615

Here is why I like Toub and I'm pissed we aren't looking at him...

"Special teams coordinators are often overlooked as head-coaching candidates, but reality is their job is easily as difficult as an offensive or defensive coordinator. On top of that, the special teams coach has to work with players from both sides of the ball every day in practice, teach them specific skills, and coordinate units that have a lot to do with winning or losing in any given game. Special teams coordinators have to game-plan on a weekly basis just as the other coordinators do. Toub has done that very successfully for 13 years. The fact is, year in and year out, Toub's special teams are in the top third in the NFL in every category rated. When looking for a head coach, clubs look for a person who has outstanding motivational and leadership skills, can communicate with both players and management and be able to put together a strong staff. Under Toub's leadership, several of his assistants have gone on to lead coordinator jobs around the league.

Having worked with Toub for eight years I know and understand his ability to prepare and motivate. Those traits are among the best of any coach I have ever worked with and I have worked with some of the best (Parcells, Belichick, Dan Reeves, Tom Coughlin and Ron Rivera). Toub is an excellent evaluator of talent and I doubt you will find a more loyal person anywhere."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2016/12/19/greg-gabriel-chiefs-special-teams-coordinator-dave-toub-should-be-an-nfl-head-coach-in-2017/a9bleyy/