Chan Gailey retiring

Rubes

Good offensive coach and class guy. Would have been nice to see how much better he could have done with a real QB or a competent defense just once.

He made chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what during his time here.

He sure as hell did. But I believe he brought some of it on himself wanting Spiller. But a class act and he certainly has earned his retirement.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chan did more with less than most of the coaches could ever dream. his patchwork starting OL rotation, his terrible WR's, his shaky QB, and the two headed beast of Fred/CJ.

Chan got so much from Fitzgeralds brain and Fred's heart. I guess, Chan would be the one with courage. But, who the hell is Dorothy?

Brian Moorman was born in Kansas. Just sayin...

• 4 weeks later...

@rapsheet

#Jets are hiring #Saints WR coach John Morton as their new OC, source says (as @AdamSchefter said). Spent time in SF before NO.

This should play right into our (Bills ) hand.

Why didn't we promote Lal ?

geniuses over there in Jersey

Good offensive coach and class guy. Would have been nice to see how much better he could have done with a real QB or a competent defense just once.

He made chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what during his time here.

He made rotten chicken salad. Good riddance, he was a garbage coach.

Chans downfall was his loyalty to Fitz and Wannestadt. Both drove the team into the ground and he stood by and defended them instead of making changes.

Had he had a better QB and DC his last season in Buffalo would have ended differently.

are you sure he stood by them?

I seriously think he was hamstrung by budget constraints and would have upgraded if it was his call.

it was not, IMHO. but i am correct in this matter. and Matter of fact! that is how the Bills found Chan !!!

Chans downfall was his loyalty to Fitz and Wannestadt. Both drove the team into the ground and he stood by and defended them instead of making changes.

Had he had a better QB and DC his last season in Buffalo would have ended differently.

It would have ended without playoffs... So no differently.

It would have ended without playoffs... So no differently.

I disagree. Chan made good use of what he had on offense. Some honest to goodness NFL Coaches might have made a significant difference. Like say what Sean is bringing in. There was always a budget for Coaching in Buffalo pre Pegul.

Chan seems like a good guy, but I always got the feeling that the game had passed him by. I felt the same when he was our head coach. He did a lot of things that were once considered innovative, but now everyone does those things. Defenses are so used to seeing teams spread out the field that it doesn't offer an advantage in and of itself. The "explosive" Bills offense under Gailey and Fitz are one of this boards greatest urban legends.

Chan put everything into his time with the Bills. Watching him leave was tough to watch, he truly cared about the team and the guys he was in charge of. He just wasn't afforded enough talent ever be better than middle of the road.

A really good guy that I'll always have respect for. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

He is partially to blame for the DCs he hired. The talent wasn't there but changing DCs year after year was on him.

Chan seems like a good guy, but I always got the feeling that the game had passed him by. I felt the same when he was our head coach. He did a lot of things that were once considered innovative, but now everyone does those things. Defenses are so used to seeing teams spread out the field that it doesn't offer an advantage in and of itself. The "explosive" Bills offense under Gailey and Fitz are one of this boards greatest urban legends.

The game didn't pass him by. Watch the Patriots. They attack the short zones just like Chan did. His only problem is he didn't have a WR that could hit the homerun every once in a while to force the zones to drop a bit further.

i would to again emphasize lack of talent to work with. including Coaches

He is partially to blame for the DCs he hired. The talent wasn't there but changing DCs year after year was on him.

The game didn't pass him by. Watch the Patriots. They attack the short zones just like Chan did. His only problem is he didn't have a WR that could hit the homerun every once in a while to force the zones to drop a bit further.

if only they got CJ in space

True, maybe I shouldn't have phrased it as passing him by, but he is certainly not a "genius" or an innovator. Plenty of teams do exactly the same things that Chan does. Simply running the Chan offense doesn't offer any advantages without superior personal. He's an average coach, and his career record shows it. Once again, I think he's a really likeable guy. I just think that he's insanely overrated around here.

i would to again emphasize lack of talent to work with. including Coaches

if only they got CJ in space

He chose Wanstedt to be his DC, and CJ was his guy. Gailey wasn't given much to work with, but we can't pretend that he didn't have anything to do with some it.

True, maybe I shouldn't have phrased it as passing him by, but he is certainly not a "genius" or an innovator. Plenty of teams do exactly the same things that Chan does. Simply running the Chan offense doesn't offer any advantages without superior personal. He's an average coach, and his career record shows it. Once again, I think he's a really likeable guy. I just think that he's insanely overrated around here.

He chose Wanstedt to be his DC, and CJ was his guy. Gailey wasn't given much to work with, but we can't pretend that he didn't have anything to do with some it.

CJ was Nixs guy. at least he talked Spiller up enough.

I am just going to say it. Bills could not get any good Coaching because the reputation of the owner.

No matter who it was signing the checks though, they were written upon sub quality papyrus. Pegulas would have made Gailey a Star as an OC

chan did more with less than most of the coaches could ever dream. his patchwork starting OL rotation, his terrible WR's, his shaky QB, and the two headed beast of Fred/CJ.

Chan got so much from Fitzgeralds brain and Fred's heart. I guess, Chan would be the one with courage. But, who the hell is Dorothy?

At one point he rolled out the following as a group of healthy starters

QB-- 7th round

RB-- udfa

TE -- picked up off a practice squad

WR 1-3: 7th round and two udfa

LT-- 7th rounder

It's absolutely unbelievable to create production with that overall pedigree

At one point he rolled out the following as a group of healthy starters

QB-- 7th round

RB-- udfa

TE -- picked up off a practice squad

WR 1-3: 7th round and two udfa

LT-- 7th rounder

It's absolutely unbelievable to create production with that overall pedigree

Doesn't matter where they were drafted.

Doesn't matter where they were drafted.

For an individual sure but as a bulk I think it's something worth weighing. Do you think they were mostly better than the draft slot or that chan got more out of them than their collective talent?

As a group I'd say way to go chan

For an individual sure but as a bulk I think it's something worth weighing. Do you think they were mostly better than the draft slot or that chan got more out of them than their collective talent?

As a group I'd say way to go chan

if you look at who gailey has worked with and made something of it is curious.

he made quincy carter (was that the dallas qb?) and so many no namers play better. but he never took a blue chip talent to bring them out even more. he squandered talent in New Jersey.

this is not a knock just a curiosity.