PFF: Bills Should Build Around Tyrod

They could use the Jacksonville game too. This is one of the few areas Tyrod progressed in this year. He used to not be able to do that. Now theres 2 games this season he brought us back. Not a huge leap but still progressing

Week 2 we were down 10 at the half to the Jets. Bills scored 14 to take the lead in the 3rd, 24-20. But what happens? Our defense sucks. Give up another rushing TD and 37 total points to the Jets.

37-31 final

Edited by bobobonators

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with this approach at all. Our offense isn't why we lost most games... Sure it needs to improve specifically in the passing game. But no need to overhaul what isn't broke.

However, I would still draft a QB ...this year and every year... Until all doubts are lifted, not only about Tyrod but also the #2. If you wait till your current QB sucks so bad you need the #1 overall pick, you're a piss poor franchise waiting to collapse.

My only problem with 'take a QB every year' is forcing yourself to spend a draft pick on someone you don't really care for. I say put a QB on your board, and if they are there at a position you're comfortable with, go for it, but I don't want to see us not fill a hole on the team because we drafted a QB that will never see the field.

Defense is why we didnt make the playoffs. I cant believe people are blaming Tyrod for not putting up 40 points a game when he gets us to at least 20-30 points and we still lose.

Because people actually think that "real" quarterbacks will win games no matter how many points the defense gives up. If the defense let's up a touchdown, well then the quarterback will just pass for a touchdown in response. Defense gives up a field goal? Well then our real quarterback will just pass for a touchdown in response.

That's what a "real" quarterback does!

Week 2 we were down 10 at the half to the Jets. Bills scored 14 to take the lead in the 3rd, 24-20. But what happens? Our defense sucks. Give up another rushing TD and 37 total points to the Jets.

37-31 final

Thats right I 4got about that. The amount of hate Tyrod gets for not bailing out the defense every time it starts leaking like a broken fire hydrant is crazy. Well how about the times the defense forgot to bail out Tyrod? I bet Tyrod and Co bailed out the defense more than vice versa. When technically Tyrod was only brought in to be a game manager for Shady and our "Top 5" defense. Without Tyrod this team....and MARK MY WORDS..... IS UN-WATCHABLE... Not entertaining or fun at all.

Because people actually think that "real" quarterbacks will win games no matter how many points the defense gives up. If the defense let's up a touchdown, well then the quarterback will just pass for a touchdown in response. Defense gives up a field goal? Well then our real quarterback will just pass for a touchdown in response.

:lol::lol: Dude everytime I hear that I ask, hows that working out for The Saints and Drew Brees? or San Diego and Phillip Rivers....no response...

62988799.jpg

Thanks in part to a reverse to Reggie bush and a missed 46 yard field goal.

Put it in the end zone. Don't stall at the 30 yard line then blame the kicker.

And the Bills offense had two chances in OT. Neither time did they get the job done. So much for this as a shining example of TTs clutch performance.

Reminded me of the Seahawk game. Looked good the entire game but with the game on the line couldn't finish the job.

TTs two best games if the season ended in losses when he had a chance to win it st the end. Win those two games and the Bills are playing this weekend and TT is on the roster next year.

All that being said I lean towards bringing him back because they have nobody else who is better.

But let's not sell this like TT is a clutch player, he isn't.

And the Bills offense had two chances in OT. Neither time did they get the job done. So much for this as a shining example of TTs clutch performance.

Reminded me of the Seahawk game. Looked good the entire game but with the game on the line couldn't finish the job.

TTs two best games if the season ended in losses when he had a chance to win it st the end. Win those two games and the Bills are playing this weekend and TT is on the roster next year.

All that being said I lean towards bringing him back because they have nobody else who is better.

Im sorry but QBs dont play defense and special teams. Are you gonna go on record and say Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers arent clutch? Cuz I saw a lot of their games this season and they couldnt always bring their team back. Just look at their teams records. Your off base MDH. tag em out!

Edited by Marty McFly

Oh, I suppose you forgot the fact that two failed run plays on first and second pushed us back 10 yards. But go ahead, carry on.

lol

Tell that to Jim Kelly and Tom Brady. Both drove their offenses to the opposing 30 yard line with seconds remaining. One is perceived a champion and the other is not because of two kickers. Seems like a fair sport.

Scott_Norwood_Wide_Right_Kick.jpg

219622-7f711.jpg

Vinatieri.jpg

brady-super-bowl.jpg

Nobody's saying he's a clutch player.

Nobody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJx17nVZs7g

I love this! We've all seen this on 2BD, and I can never stop laughing . LMFAO

BTW, Miami tried that Model with Dan Marino.

Edited by horned dogs

If Tyrod stays, then he's just the bridge QB to the real franchise QB. I'm fine if he comes back at nothing more than 15 mill a year for two years.

Then draft Jone's competition this year for the job of becoming the real Bills franchise QB (Watson, Kizer, Mahomes, Kaaya, ect..).

If Taylor walks, then you suck it up and go with the winner of QB competition between the young QBs. Maybe go heavy on creating a Cowboy's type of great offensive line so that the young QB will have a lighter lift in their first year starting like Prescott.

I would not build any team around Taylor because he simply isn't a good enough foundation for something big.

Good breakdown and clear evidence as to why he should not be kicked to the curb unless a clearly better alternative is available. None is apparent at this time for sure. Despite fans desire for more from this position, and we all share that desire, it would be foolish to cut him for any of the free agent garbage available, including Cutler if he in fact is. They are not likely to strike immediate gold in the draft either. Keep Taylor, keep developing Cardale, sign a competent back up, and keep looking.

This whole Tyrod deal reminds me of the week before the Cleveland game when I think most Bills fans knew Rex was gone...Then they thumped the worst team in the NFL, and some folks were arguing strong that Rex should return...Luckily we still had the Miami game for Rex to show us once again who he really is as HC...

Tyrod's last game was arguably his best game as a Buffalo Bill...Sure if he plays like that he's worth the extension and there is absolutely no doubt about it...But does anyone want to bet on it?

Forget about the injuries...They will almost always be a factor in one way or another...In Tyrod we have a player who has shown us exactly who he is over two seasons...He's been pretty consistent actually...And by no means is it all bad...But I think the very likely scenario ends up being that Tyrod gives us exactly what we have seen over these 29 games...Some real good, and some real bad...And if your goal is to win a Super Bowl do you want your highest paid player to be a QB who more than likely cannot get you there?

I'm not saying it's an easy decision...I'm just saying... B-)

This whole Tyrod deal reminds me of the week before the Cleveland game when I think most Bills fans knew Rex was gone...Then they thumped the worst team in the NFL, and some folks were arguing strong that Rex should return...Luckily we still had the Miami game for Rex to show us once again who he really is as HC...

Tyrod's last game was arguably his best game as a Buffalo Bill...Sure if he plays like that he's worth the extension and there is absolutely no doubt about it...But does anyone want to bet on it?

Forget about the injuries...They will almost always be a factor in one way or another...In Tyrod we have a player who has shown us exactly who he is over two seasons...He's been pretty consistent actually...And by no means is it all bad...But I think the very likely scenario ends up being that Tyrod gives us exactly what we have seen over these 29 games...Some real good, and some real bad...And if your goal is to win a Super Bowl do you want your highest paid player to be a QB who more than likely cannot get you there?

Sunday's Jets' game with EJ at the helm may have made the case for keeping Tyrod better that he ever could.

I agree with most of the content.. their conclusion about keeping TT.

Using the Miami game as evidence he is a reliable 4th qtr comeback QB is cherry picking

Especially since we didn't win and he had 2 chances (one on regulation and one in OT) to put it away including a 1st and goal.

This is one of the few areas Tyrod progressed in this year. He used to not be able to do that. Now theres 2 games this season he brought us back. Not a huge leap but still progressing

He still can't. It's not a comeback if you don't win.

If he could we would have beaten Seattle and Miami and very well may be in the playoffs. But he didn't, so we're not.

The goal the team needs to have is to assemble a team that can win the Superbowl, not assemble a team who can sneak into the playoffs. IMO we are the latter and that is what we have clearly said we were trying to do, get to the playoffs. Once we get there than what? Get smoked by the same teams we can't beat during the season is what. TT is one of the guys who is good enough to give you average and keep you average. Best bet is to acknowledge that and move on, if you have to take a few steps back to bottom out for a season or clean up the roster by letting a few players go, fine. Build a contender and not a team that is built to sneak into the playoffs and get killed by teams you just can't compete with. That is simply the reality of where we are and have been for the past 17 seasons and most likely the next 3 at least...

My only problem with 'take a QB every year' is forcing yourself to spend a draft pick on someone you don't really care for. I say put a QB on your board, and if they are there at a position you're comfortable with, go for it, but I don't want to see us not fill a hole on the team because we drafted a QB that will never see the field.

Definitely agree! I wouldn't reach or probably even take one in the first round. But, every year it seems a good QB is found in the 2nd or 3rd time rounds. So, unless we suck dramatically and get a top 3 pick, its all a crap shoot. So... Keep shooting till you find one.