Video: Pegula:"Whaley questioned Rex...put me to sleep"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Strikethrough = inference. There's nothing hear to suggest he did anything more than vet him.

Whaley said in his presser yesterday that he supported the Rex hire. I think when he questioned Rex, Rex didn't say anything that he could point to as a "red flag" or a deal-breaker, so he saw which way the wind was blowing with Russ and the Pegulas and said "I'm good".

If someone is successfully vetted, they get approval. Simple as that. Whaley approved Rex on the football side and is culpable.

Often disagree with you, but have to agree here. Whaley questioned Rex, by inference accepted or professed himself satisfied with Rex's answers, thus he approved Rex's hire.

Moreover, he sat in front of a microphone yesterday and said that he approved the hire.

If someone is successfully vetted, they get approval. Simple as that. Whaley approved Rex on the football side and is culpable.

Whaley said in his presser yesterday that he supported the Rex hire. I think when he questioned Rex, Rex didn't say anything that he could point to as a "red flag" or a deal-breaker, so he saw which way the wind was blowing with Russ and the Pegulas and said "I'm good".

Often disagree with you, but have to agree here. Whaley questioned Rex, by inference accepted or professed himself satisfied with Rex's answers, thus he approved Rex's hire.

Moreover, he sat in front of a microphone yesterday and said that he approved the hire.

Unless he didn't approve, and the new owner wanted to show the world that things in Buffalo are different now, that we can get and pay the biggest coaching name out there, and when Whaley sat in front of a microphone, he did everything to conceal that motivation so as to not throw his boss under the bus.

All of this could just as easily be inferred.

Edited by The Big Cat

Unless he didn't approve, and the new owner wanted to show the world that things in Buffalo are different now, that we can get and pay the biggest coaching name out there, and when Whaley sat in front of a microphone, he did everything to conceal that motivation so as to not throw his boss under the bus.

Well besides having K-9 basically confirm it, you're welcome to believe we have such horrific owners that they would veto their GM's concerns on how well their new football coach can coach football and overrule him in order to gain positive press.

That's a much sadder scenario. And it pretty much indicates doom until the Pegulas sell.

Edited by FireChan

Well besides having K-9 basically confirm it, you're welcome to believe we have such horrific owners that they would veto their GM's concerns on how well their new football coach can coach football and overrule him in order to gain positive press.

That's a much sadder scenario. And it pretty much indicates doom until the Pegulas sell.

Some owners run teams more closely than others. Some have had more success doing so than others. Some of that success comes and goes. If you want to foresee decades of doom and futility based on their first 24 months, go for it.

Just because Terry and Kim set out to make a splash the first time around doesn't mean they'll run the team like that moving forward. It could mean that. But I'm not as certain as you that it does.

Edited by The Big Cat

Some owners run teams more closely than others. Some have had more success doing so than others. Some of that success comes and goes. If you want to foresee decades of doom and futility based on their first 24 months, go for it.

Just because Terry and Kim set out to make a splash the first time around doesn't mean they'll run the team like that moving forward. It could mean that. But I'm not as certain as you that it does.

I don't have faith in any owner that would make a decision that bad. Not saying they couldn't change, but that's about the worst thing they could've possibly down.

As some would have it, Doug was on a vacation in the Himalayan mountains when the Pegulas hired Rex behind his back.

Peter, with all respect, you're making yourself a bit ridiculous here. Everyone agrees he was in the room and involved in the decision, Whaley publically acknowledged yesterday he agreed with the hiring.

The question is whether he was all "yeah, he's our guy!" or whether he saw which way the wind was blowing with the Pegulas and Russ and got the "right" answers to his questions, so he went along.

That's exactly how I interpreted it

And I can't see how anyone could interpret it differently unless they're attempting to support their own pre-conceived agendas.

Sure, Whaley could have stormed into Pegula's office, crapped on his desk and declared there is no way he could work with a blowhard fraud like Rex. And if Pegula hires Rex, he would have to quit. (Kind of like another former head coach who tried to strong arm Pegula to get his way.) I'm sure every one of us would gladly walk out of our cushy, prestigious jobs on principle alone. :rolleyes:

Could you think of a worse decision they could've made as new owners that would make you question their judgement?

Given that there are 7.4 billion people on the planet, less than 200 of whom have what it takes to coach in the NFL, yes, I can think of about 7.4 billion worse decisions they could have made.

Peter, with all respect, you're making yourself a bit ridiculous here. Everyone agrees he was in the room and involved in the decision, Whaley publically acknowledged yesterday he agreed with the hiring.

The question is whether he was all "yeah, he's our guy!" or whether he saw which way the wind was blowing with the Pegulas and Russ and got the "right" answers to his questions, so he went along.

With respect, I do not agree that Whaley was not all in on the initial hire. He even went out of his way to say how they completed each other's sentences. This is kind of like people pushing the idea that Whaley was not all in on drafting EJ in the first round - at least until people were reminded of a video where Whaley suggests otherwise.

In that video clip, Pegula said something like "Doug asked Rex all those football questions that frankly put me to sleep" and that's when we started thinking Rex could be our guy. The inference is that Whaley professed himself satisfied with Rex's answer.

Whaley also said explicitly yesterday that he agreed with (eg approved) Rex's hire

Q: But you not taking ownership of the previous thing, you know part of that committee – you said you don’t want to get into it. If you agreed with the hire –

A: I did.

Q: You agreed with it?

A: I did. It’s a Bills hire. Correct.

Given that there are 7.4 billion people on the planet, less than 200 of whom have what it takes to coach in the NFL, yes, I can think of about 7.4 billion worse decisions they could have made.

That's perhaps the most absurd and pathetic argument you've ever made. You're a shell of yourself.

Everyone makes mistakes when they set out with a new undertaking. The question is do you learn from them, and do you repeat them.

I wish they learned from the Sabres and fumigated the whole franchise.

By all accounts--including Whaley's (in absolutely NO uncertain terms),--it was "yeah, he's our guy!".

You need to provide evidence to the contrary or just move on. You're wrong.