Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

I was under the impression that Rex Scheme was more man to man than it was zone.

Mostly zone, but some man.

http://www.footballxos.com/download/defense/pro-defense/2010-NY-Jets-Defense-Rex-Ryan.pdf

For the CB's.

But they generally mixed it up. The zone blitz is a staple.

By my count, about 50% of Rex's defensive calls are Cover-6. Another 25% are either Cover-2, Cover-3, or Cover-4, and another 25% are zero (man).

Edited by thebandit27

The Jim Johnson 43 Defense relies primarily on zone reads, with Zone Blitzes executed by the Front Seven, as well as Zone Coverage in the Secondary, in order to make up for the deficiencies of the group, or to roll coverage onto a studly WR or TE. It all starts up front, with the lanes opened up by the DLine, creating gaps for the LB's to blitz through, creating pressure which forces the QB to chuck an inaccurate ball unto which the Secondary makes a play, hopefully forcing a turnover. The different units of the Defense must work in unison, or else the effectiveness of each unit will become moot. For example, if the Defensive Line is being blown off of the LOS, and can't do their job, it prohibits the blitzing LB's from completing their own tasks, allowing an opposing QB/RB to gash the defense as a whole. Furthermore, having subpar players executing a zone will create a weak link in the zone, or an open target for the opposing offense.

The Jim Johnson Defense can be very effective, dialing up pressure from seemingly nowhere, as well as coercing a QB into phantom blitzes that can confuse the opposition. An effective Jim Johnson 43 Defense can keep an opposing offensive coordinator guessing all day, playing into the hands of an amalgamate defensive unit.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

Nice little write up.

The Jim Johnson 43 Defense relies primarily on zone reads, with Zone Blitzes executed by the Front Seven, as well as Zone Coverage in the Secondary, in order to make up for the deficiencies of the group, or to roll coverage onto a studly WR or TE. It all starts up front, with the lanes opened up by the DLine, creating gaps for the LB's to blitz through, creating pressure which forces the QB to chuck an inaccurate ball unto which the Secondary makes a play, hopefully forcing a turnover. The different units of the Defense must work in unison, or else the effectiveness of each unit will become moot. For example, if the Defensive Line is being blown off of the LOS, and can't do their job, it prohibits the blitzing LB's from completing their own tasks, allowing an opposing QB/RB to gash the defense as a whole. Furthermore, having subpar players executing a zone will create a weak link in the zone, or an open target for the opposing offense.

The Jim Johnson Defense can be very effective, dialing up pressure from seemingly nowhere, as well as coercing a QB into phantom blitzes that can confuse the opposition. An effective Jim Johnson 43 Defense can keep an opposing offensive coordinator guessing all day, playing into the hands of an amalgamate defensive unit.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

Nice little write up.

But can it stop the quick slant over the middle

Were there not Buster calls and the like, some mixed zone and man?

There's a lot of variability with checks etc. I was talking more to base calls.

Honestly though, and I'm not being snarky here, take a look for yourself when you have time, because it's a picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words scenario. Trying to explain Rex's playbook is like trying to teach Swahili to a dog.

There's a lot of variability with checks etc. I was talking more to base calls.

Honestly though, and I'm not being snarky here, take a look for yourself when you have time, because it's a picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words scenario. Trying to explain Rex's playbook is like trying to teach Swahili to a dog.

Crazy that it's online. I will right now.

Does McDermott come from the Andy Reid tree? If so thats a good thing, bc several good defensive coaches have come from that tree: Rivera, Harbaugh, Frazier come to mind. And Spags

I'm not drawing any conclusions, but yes, he does....

Haha. Thats awesome. Andy Reid has produced some really really good defensive minded coaches who have turned out to be good HC's in the NFL. Ironically the offensive guys havent been that great dont think.

So a 1-tech and 2 9-techs instead of 2 3-techs and 2 Leos.

Kinda. What I looked up had one DE playing the 9 (likely Hughes) whose job it is to speed rush and one 7 tech who lines up between THE TE and OT, and is in charge of run contain on heavier sets and pass rush on empty sets. That sounds exactly like Lawson.

Haha. Thats awesome. Andy Reid has produced some really really good defensive minded coaches who have turned out to be good HC's in the NFL. Ironically the offensive guys havent been that great dont think.

His full resume: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McDermott

Also, not sure if anyone read that SB Nation link I posted: http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/1/9/14184912/bftb-staff-decides-who-should-the-chargers-hire-to-be-head-coach ),

But one of these guys states: "Was the Scouting Coordinator in Philadelphia and in his first year on the job McDermott helped draft the Eagles best quarterback in franchise history, Donovan McNabb."

Does he still know what a QB looks like and can he help us find one!? :beer:

I'm all for a young and hungry coach.

I loved the Rex hire but it sounds like the guy didn't want to work. I had a suspicion that was true when the D suddenly looked amazing vs NE* last year on MNF then went right back to sucking for the rest of the season.

Rex put in the work that week. So frustrating to see what could/should have been had he wanted to grind all season.

Just goes to show that he deserved to be fired. You can count on a new HC putting in the hrs.