Pegula's do not know how to run a football team

You present a considerably kinder view of the situation than the OP.

But make no mistake, we are right back to having organizational problems that start right at the top, just like in the good old Ralph Wilson days.

As long as this **** continues, we will struggle to be a consistently good team.

I'm afraid that soon enough, Bills fans will be divided into two groups.

The first will be those who are just thankful there is still a team in Buffalo, and that group will support Pegula/not complain too much about anything forever.

The second group will move on to other things.

It's here now, just read this board!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, there is no apostrophe needed in the title thread. Pegulas is plural, but does not connote possession. I'm no grammar Nazi, but I thought the OP might like to know for future reference.

Considering at least 3 people did that in this thread I thought maybe Pegula has changed his last name to "Pegula's" and I missed the announcement.

I think people are acting as if all NFL HC are like Rex Ryan, and that all NFL GMs and HCs work the same and they just don't.

The Pegulas were new. They don't care about money. They like making a big splash. Rex was available and wowed them. It was not at all unreasonable to think that a lot of different owners would have been okay with hiring Rex Ryan. He's a big name and big mouth and dominates all press. So it was decided that since Whaley didn't hire him, he wouldn't report to Whaley he would report to Terry. A lot of NFL teams have that these days. It's not weird. It's not because they have no confidence in Whaley. It was because the hired the cyclone that is Rex Ryan and it blew up in their faces.

If Whaley was the one that convinced them to hire Ryan he would have been fired.

Kelly that is right - however you can't alienate the press and your stakeholders (the fans) by hiding from them and sending in the company guy to lie to them. That, to me, is highly dysfunctional and counterproductive. It creates an atmosphere of negativity and distrust that will make the next coach's job harder.

Maybe 2 coaches in 3 years, record trending downward (9-7 to 7-9), needing a franchise qb still, 17 years without going to playoffs, Owner firing HC, not GM, then saying GM will make decisions going forward but we have to agree. REALLY!

They were a 56-yard last second field goal miss away from being alive in Week 17 for the first time in 13 years.

Pegulas made a rookie mistake in hiring Rex and owned it by firing him three years before his contract expired. They've put this responsibility into the hands of the GM. That is a positive thing.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Kelly that is right - however you can't alienate the press and your stakeholders (the fans) by hiding from them and sending in the company guy to lie to them. That, to me, is highly dysfunctional and counterproductive. It creates an atmosphere of negativity and distrust that will make the next coach's job harder.

I understand that you and a lot of fans feel the need to hear from them or to hear what really went on. To me, it's obvious by ten actions as well as a few reliable reports exactly what went on. What I'm truly curious about is what exactly do you want to hear from Whaley and the Pegulas. What is it that you, in the real world, want them to say?

This is new to me as a structure. Pegula's have Whaley as GM. Committee of Pegula's, Brandon and Whaley hire Rex Ryan. Only Pegula's make decision to fire Rex Ryan. Rex Ryan only reported to Terry Pegula. Whaley only reported to Terry Pegula. In all this change only Interm coach and now Whaley has press conference. We only get a simple statement from Pegula's on Rex's termination. This is DYSFUNCTION! You need a command line in leadership with full accountability. The Bills use some type of committee decisions that shield ownership. This will not work!!!! Whaley doesn't seem to care he is just a puppet in this organization. This is even worse than I thought it would be. I am not sure I want to be a follower of this owners teams. This is a Tyrant!

Also how in the wolrd is Whaley not involved in Firing Rex and then he says he has given NO thought to his lack of involvement in that decision and to Why Rex is fired?!?!?!?!?!

Then he says we are close, AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! really?! we have been close for 17 yrs and is why we are never close is because we just need one more guy to get over the hump when we need a lot more than that. It's like being stuck in snow and just spinning your wheels and saying almost there, when what you really need to do is back up and get a running start at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V0TYIO6yv4

I understand that you and a lot of fans feel the need to hear from them or to hear what really went on. To me, it's obvious by ten actions as well as a few reliable reports exactly what went on. What I'm truly curious about is what exactly do you want to hear from Whaley and the Pegulas. What is it that you, in the real world, want them to say?

I don't need to hear what really went on but I also don't need to be lied to. Why can't Whaley say that it was the Pegulas' decision to fire Rex and he was consulted and reluctantly agreed? Or some version of that which would actually be, you know, the truth.

They were a 56-yard last second field goal miss away from being alive in Week 17 for the first time in 13 years.

Pegula's made a rookie mistake in hiring Rex and owned it by firing him three years before his contract expired. They've put this responsibility into the hands of the GM. That is a positive thing.

Be careful where you use " ' " if it is plural don't use one or the police dogs will hound you!

Problem now that Rex is gone, the mouthpiece for the Bills is not a good speaker or think quick on his feet - kind of guy. Then you have Terry Pegula who is the worst public speaker I've ever seen.

I don't think Whaley is a complete moron when it comes to football so let's hope his decision for head coach will be like hitting the lotto. He must've learned something about coaches and personnel over the past few years.

I don't need to hear what really went on but I also don't need to be lied to. Why can't Whaley say that it was the Pegulas' decision to fire Rex and he was consulted and reluctantly agreed? Or some version of that which would actually be, you know, the truth.

Because that wouldn't be "the truth" either. I doubt he reluctantly agreed at all. He likely wholeheartedly agreed. He may have wanted it last year.

Considering at least 3 people did that in this thread I thought maybe Pegula has changed his last name to "Pegula's" and I missed the announcement.

I used to get POd when people did this on twitter, etc. And, then I realized iphones do that, even when you type in Pegulas.

Because that wouldn't be "the truth" either. I doubt he reluctantly agreed at all. He likely wholeheartedly agreed. He may have wanted it last year.

Ok, so say "ultimately it was Terry and Kim's decision but like all decisions of this magnitude, we all discussed it and I gave them my input and they have my full support."

Ok, so say "ultimately it was Terry and Kim's decision but like all decisions of this magnitude, we all discussed it and I gave them my input and they have my full support."

I think this may be why Whaley doesn't do allot of press conferences!

Okay. Fair enough. That would have been politically correct but it would have gotten us no closer to anything. You and I both know, and both knew beforehand, that was the case. Personally I don't need someone to say something I already know just to make it more palatable to some fans. I understand the Bills as a franchise are getting roasted both locally and nationally for this. But I personally think it means nothing, will have absolutely zero.zero affect on the coaching search, people will still buy tickets and get excited next fall, and all of this goes away as soon as we start winning, and all of it stays until we start winning, and nothing is really gained or changed by this.

I guess I don't like the fact my GM is so blatantly lying to me. I thought Whaley was lousy and I like him. But it really makes no difference to me because just because he could have lied a little more politically correct and easy on the ears.

Okay. Fair enough. That would have been politically correct but it would have gotten us no closer to anything. You and I both know, and both knew beforehand, that was the case. Personally I don't need someone to say something I already know just to make it more palatable to some fans. I understand the Bills as a franchise are getting roasted both locally and nationally for this. But I personally think it means nothing, will have absolutely zero.zero affect on the coaching search, people will still buy tickets and get excited next fall, and all of this goes away as soon as we start winning, and all of it stays until we start winning, and nothing is really gained or changed by this.

I guess I don't like the fact my GM is so blatantly lying to me. I thought Whaley was lousy and I like him. But it really makes no difference to me because just because he could have lied a little more politically correct and easy on the ears.

My concern is that the perceived dysfunction hurts the brand and negatively impacts recruitment of coaches and free agents. Maybe it won't, you could be right - but why take the chance? Corporate PR is not that hard to get right... Edited by Coach Tuesday

My concern is that the perceived dysfunction hurts the brand and negatively impacts recruitment of coaches and free agents. Maybe it won't, you could be right - but why take the chance? Corporate PR is not that hard to get right...

Speaking for my self, as a season ticket buyer...nothing they did today wreaks as dysfunctional for me. It's a media driven thing where these Buffalo reporters want to one up each other and be the smartest guy in the room. We all wanted Rex fired... and he was fired. I don't care how it went down.

Now I do care a lot about the football side, and if they ditch Tyrod for nothing better, I will be pissed as a customer.

My concern is that the perceived dysfunction hurts the brand and negatively impacts recruitment of coaches and free agents. Maybe it won't, you could be right - but why take the chance? Corporate PR is not that hard to get right...

True. I guess I also think that the Bills are in a weird PR PC alignment. They have a billionaire owner who not only doesn't like talking publicly but hates the local press, and a GM who also really doesn't like talking to the press and keeps everything very close to the vest, and a longtime head of PR guy who just sucks at his job. In between you had a loudmouth HC who loves the press and hearing himself talk, so he was the face of the franchise. When suddenly he is gone there is this big void. But it's more coincidence than anything else. A lot of owners love hearing themselves talk, a lot of GMs love hearing themselves talk. I don't think it has any affect on their performance either way.