GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

And Brandon was involved in the Rex hire, he probably won't be involved in this one though because of his promotion at PSE. He does a lot now, Doug wasn't sure of what he does but man it's a lot.

Why is that so hard to believe and why does that reflect poorly on Whaley for saying that? Brandon has played a key role in the growth of PSE and has ascended in the organization. He has a lot more on his plate than previously and in lines of business that Whaley isn't even remotely involved in. Makes sense Whaley wouldn't have a firm handle on exactly what Brandon does in the bigger scope of PSE. Nor should he be concerned with that. I'd think we'd all be relieved to know Brandon has less time involvement with the Bills, too.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's his answers that are the issue but the actual answers to the questions being asked are getting ignored.

The Pegulas are the ones who hired Rex, with Brandon and Whaley probably along for the ride. Today Whaley was shielding the Pegulas, taking the heat from the local media who apparently can't get over themselves at this presser. Going forward it sounds like it's HC > Whaley > Peglas, the way everone says it should be.

Whaley essentially claimed that the team's front office structure is a dysfunctional mess.

Russ Brandon? Not sure what he does, but it's a lot.

Rex Ryan? The GM had no idea he was in jeopardy of losing his job, never spoke to owners about the situation, had no input on firing him, and never thought about it after. It just sort of happened.

Rex Ryan hiring? Bills decision. This time around it's Whaley's. Except not really, because the new coach might also report directly to the owners, depending on how it goes.

Now, I personally think he's full of crap, but that's what he was telling the room full of press, who rightfully called him on his BS.

Except maybe it's not BS. Maybe all the smoke about the mess that the Bills front office has become is real, and Whaley is as much a victim of it as the coaches have been.

With a preconceived notion of him as the villain and Rex and a victim, I'd say no.

I am "guilty" of having that opinion.

Nevertheless, even without that opinion, it is not playing well around the country or with people who wanted to get rid of Rex (unlike me).

I think Whaley should have been fired along with Rex, and someone respect around the league with a resume of success and with ZERO ties to the Bills brought in to fix the messes over there.

However, I felt a little sorry for Whaley listening to that. IF he was telling the truth then WTF

Did someone just ask him if he'd hire a coach that demanded GM duties? :lol:

'would you hire a guy that would result in your firing???'

What sort of !@#$ery :lol:

Wouldn't that question be an issue for a guy like Cowher or Gruden or someone like that who would want to be more in control (compared to the GM) as opposed to a guy like Lynn or someone else that would not be a marque hiring or have a lot of other options.

Wouldn't that question be an issue for a guy like Cowher or Gruden or someone like that who would want to be more in control (compared to the GM) as opposed to a guy like Lynn or someone else that would not be a marque hiring or have a lot of other options.

Not necessarily... by all accounts Whaley has gotten the players his coaches have requested.

The Pegulas are the ones who hired Rex, with Brandon and Whaley probably along for the ride. Today Whaley was shielding the Pegulas, taking the heat from the local media who apparently can't get over themselves at this presser. Going forward it sounds like it's HC > Whaley > Peglas, the way everone says it should be.

I get all that. Not sure what about my comment made it seem like I was even talking about that though :)

Also you got your less than/greater thans mixed up. Pegulas > Whaley > HC

The way Doug Whaley is presenting it, his job title should be changed from "General Manager" to "Limited or No Manager."

He is clueless. The Bills are no closer to the playoffs. They have regressed the last three years. But finally Whaley is out in an island. No more excuses. It's his head that is firmly on the chopping block next when this team continues to miss the playoffs.

Since no one has posted the video... all I have to go by is commentary...

Basically the Pegulas hired Rex, Whaley signed off on it. We don't know if Whaley had complaints or not about Rex during the last two seasons. Pegulas fired Rex possibly without consulting Whaley. Whaley is now in charge of this coaching hire.

That's basically it, right?

We know that the Pegulas hired Rex and Whaley likely disagreed. The Pegulas fired Rex without consulting Whaley. And Whaley is now in charge of coaches.

JW says he's filed a story based on an interview done by AP. Doesn't say when this interview happened. Today? Week ago? Back when Rex was hired?

Well based on the "HMMMMMMMMMMMM" I get the feeling that something in the interview is likely going to conflict with today's presser.

I have not read the article yet. I am not sure it is available yet.

It does not surprise me that Terry Pegula would agree to be interviewed by John. John is fair . . . unlike some of those other guys (particularly at TBN).

Hasn't posted yet. Said it's filed so likely needs to go over editing before posting.

Not probably, they WERE along for the ride. Remember the traveling coaching junket they went on after 2014? They all got in the Pegula jet and spent the better part of two weeks bopping along, interviewing candidates, and sharing notes.

He's not dim. I know him personally.

Let's hope this finally works out for ALL our sakes............

Oh, I wasn't saying I agree he's dim, just that it's a common refrain around here. I don't know him personally but have spent time with the guy and chatted with him on more than one occasion... he's definitely not dim.

:beer: