GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating insight into the dysfunction of the Bills. Few thoughts

1) Whaley clearly has disdain for the local media, which is unfortunate. He did himself no favors, we'll see if he has to pay for it. If this happened in a larger media market like NYC, Boston, Chicago or even LA, the GM would be shoved out the door. Media a little less powerful in Buffalo, but they did a fantastic job of nailing him. But man, did he look bad.

2) He's clearly lying that he didn't have a say in the Rex decision. But even if he wants to keep that as his position, to not even voice an opinion on it. A "listen, this is a business, I like Rex and he's a good coach. But we think we have a playoff caliber team that didn't make the playoffs, so we needed to make a change" would have been good. But to not say anything shows that he doesn't have a ton of respect for the media and worse, the fans. And if he somehow had no voice in the firing of Rex the team is in worse shape than we thought.

Regardless of the implications of all this, the worst thing you can do as a GM of a sports franchise is deliberately make enemies with the local media. The national press will take its cues from the local media. So I'm genuinely baffled that his approach was to conduct himself in that way bc he looked like a politician trying to cover something up. Which plays pretty poorly.

Great point by Graham who pointed out that the Bills have very little cap space to maneuver around which is very true. Usually when you have a losing record, no franchise QB and no cap space its the start of a rebuild bc there is no where to go but down.

Buffalo media has been at war with the Bills for decades.

If you're Lynn, would you watch this mess and say, "this is the place for me!"

Run Anthony. We will murder your career.

Doug Whaley did nothing to instill confidence in any potential HC candidate - either in the press conference or the weeks and months that preceded it.

If you're a coach you're probably thinking my GM is never going to blame me for anything no matter what.

No, he'll just also take zero responsibility for a single thing, while lying to the media about stabbing you in the back. Cowher can't wait to sign right up!

My thoughts:

1. Nothing new was going to be learned beforehand and nothing new was learned. Because Whaley was never going to say anything of worth.

2. He's just flat lying. Several times. I like Whaley as a GM but that was awful. I understood what he was saying, every single question, but he was parsing words like a Clinton, and it was embarrassing.

3. He didn't want Rex but wasn't against Rex. It was said when Rex was hired that he wouldn't report to Whaley so he wouldn't be responsible for him. Therefore he wouldn't fire him nor would he need to address it. We knew all that.

4. We didn't learn anything about Lynn, about Tyrod, about Rex, about the Pegulas, about any player. It was almost a complete waste of time as I expected.

Agreed.

Did you think it was interesting that during the weekly review last Monday, that it was Rex who asked to speak to Pegula privately? That spoke volumes to me.

Here we go with the media haters because they pressed Whaley on his unbelievable lack of interest on if or why Rex was fired. They're not there to throw softballs because tough questions make the Bills look bad.

the pegulas fired rex, they released a statement. End of story. Everyone knew rex answered directly to the pegulas, not whaley. Its not hard to think that they fored rex, then informed whaley. Is it right? Its their team, if they think its right, it is. Period.

Doug Whaley did nothing to instill confidence in any potential HC candidate - either in the press conference or the weeks and months that preceded it.

Yes, because, "We fired Rex because he was a terrible disciplinarian and his defensive scheme needs absolutely perfect conditions to succeed. He is just an awful coach at this point" would really sit well with candidates.

I was thinking the same thing about the Bills organization.

yep as was i. I have never liked them, but rabid hounds just ripped the guy apart.

He is going to cry himself to sleep tonight.

I never seen such a beat down. even though it was clumsy. it was very effective. whaley is fullofpoo and Brandon has been invlolved.

#exposed as the self deceiving little bastard he is.

and he should lay off the coke

If you're Lynn, would you watch this mess and say, "this is the place for me!"

Run Anthony. We will murder your career.

Not just a question of Lynn trying to get OUT...but also ask who is going to try to come IN.

Buffalo has to be in the NO. 1 spot on the black list of any talent around the league. That's players, coaches, front office personnel.

No one is coming here until it is all blown up and the Pegulas learn to establish a vertical chain of command, sign checks, and stay out of the way.