Playoffs vs Championship

BarleyNY

I'm frustrated by the mindset of many posters on this forum as well as many Bills fans in general. I understand how the playoff drought weighs on people. I really do. But it seems like that's the only goal in sight for some. I'm not interested in the playoffs unless it's an intermediate step toward a possible championship. If a player or coach is good enough to slip into the playoffs as a wildcard, but has no real hope of helping the team to a championship, then I'm not interested. I don't want a mirage. I don't want 10-6 followed by a 1st round playoff loss and then more years of mediocrity. I'd honestly rather take some chances at greatness and watch them flame out than play it safe to the point of the downside being slightly below mediocrity and upside being something just above that. Just my 2¢.

Agree with the OP. I'd love a playoff game as much as anyone after all this time. But don't lose site of the real goal. Unfortunately, Whaley's in job-saving mode and his goal is to make the playoffs alone. Anything more and it's a bonus. Which sucks.

I'm frustrated by the mindset of many posters on this forum as well as many Bills fans in general. I understand how the playoff drought weighs on people. I really do. But it seems like that's the only goal in sight for some. I'm not interested in the playoffs unless it's an intermediate step toward a possible championship. If a player or coach is good enough to slip into the playoffs as a wildcard, but has no real hope of helping the team to a championship, then I'm not interested. I don't want a mirage. I don't want 10-6 followed by a 1st round playoff loss and then more years of mediocrity. I'd honestly rather take some chances at greatness and watch them flame out than play it safe to the point of the downside being slightly below mediocrity and upside being something just above that. Just my 2¢.

I agree 100% I've been saying the same thing for years that just making the playoffs is a terrible goal. The goal should be to win the Super Bowl. With playing against Brady, who is the best QB not only in the AFC East, but the whole NFL (pains me to say it) twice a year, the Bills need an elite QB to compete against Brady. Guys like Losman, Edwards, Holcomb, Fitzpatrick, Manuel and Taylor cannot compete against Brady and Belichek. Until the Bills get an elite QB, they will not get past Brady & Belichek.

In order for the Bills to get an elite QB is to trade for one (such as Brees) and pony up draft picks and possibly some players or to tank for a few years (something they should have done during this playoff drought already). Also, I'm tired of hearing the crowd that thinks elite QB's can be taken anywhere in the draft. Yeah, we know Wilson was a third rounder, and so was Trent Edwards and he was recommended by the great Bill Walsh. And Prescott was a fourth rounder, yeah, so was Ryan Nassib.

I agree 100% I've been saying the same thing for years that just making the playoffs is a terrible goal. The goal should be to win the Super Bowl. With playing against Brady, who is the best QB not only in the AFC East, but the whole NFL (pains me to say it) twice a year, the Bills need an elite QB to compete against Brady. Guys like Losman, Edwards, Holcomb, Fitzpatrick, Manuel and Taylor cannot compete against Brady and Belichek. Until the Bills get an elite QB, they will not get past Brady & Belichek.

In order for the Bills to get an elite QB is to trade for one (such as Brees) and pony up draft picks and possibly some players or to tank for a few years (something they should have done during this playoff drought already). Also, I'm tired of hearing the crowd that thinks elite QB's can be taken anywhere in the draft. Yeah, we know Wilson was a third rounder, and so was Trent Edwards and he was recommended by the great Bill Walsh. And Prescott was a fourth rounder, yeah, so was Ryan Nassib.

Ok. Trade for Brees.

This reminds me of the Andy Ried argument we have here. As I said in that argument, give me Reid any day over the past 17 seasons. I wanna enjoy watching this team and making the playoffs is enjoyable(from what I remember). Do I want a championship type team? Sure, but I would love to start out by breaking the string of 17 yrs. We can do both. The G men made an improbable run when they barely made the playoffs in Manning's 1st SB. You gotta be in it to win it.

Agree 100%. Some fans appear ready to accept something below excellance. Or having never seen a Bills playoff game. Would consider reaching them the top of the mountain. Strive for excellence the friggin team should at least. Lombardi's yea their hard to win. A Wild card game? big deal, the minute you are eliminated from the playoffs you might as well be the 8-8 Bills.

Yeah, I'm with the OP--hire a HC who will get the Bills to the Sb or don't even bother hiring one. Same for QB--pick one who will get us to the SB or get rid of all of them and just put 3 RBs back there.

For God's sake, stop hiring all of these HC's who will only get the Bills to the playoffs where they may lose a game.

It's like going 17 months without getting laid. Of course you want to find a cool, hot girlfriend, but in the meantime you really just need to break the streak so pretty much any end-of-the-night barfly will do at this point.

Like the slump breaker ugly chicken baseball players talk about.

I'll admit, I don't care if we're a six seed and go get destroyed in KC or wherever the hell. I just want the playoff drought monkey off our backs.

But then very quickly the conversation has to turn to how we get back, keep going back consistently, and eventually win the whole thing.