Bills Distraction - Part II - CFB

LI_Bills

Part II in my attempt to generate non-Rex/Tyrod/Whaley conversation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/30/as-mccaffrey-sits-stanfords-quarterback-carted-off-with-knee-injury/

These decisions by college football players to sit out bowl games to protect their futures makes all the sense in the world to me and helps to shine a light on the fact that college football is a business and not an off-shoot of "higher education". I'm amazed at what top college coaches get paid. Makes me wonder how the need to pay these coaches and fund these programs influences overall tuition costs for non-athletes.

Why are you doing this?

Cuz I was getting bored reading the same re-tread posts about Rex/Tyrod/Whaley/Lynn/Russ...and I saw two football-related articles that piqued my interest ...and I appreciate thoughts from posters on this site on all matters football.

If my posts go nowhere so be it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/30/as-mccaffrey-sits-stanfords-quarterback-carted-off-with-knee-injury/

These decisions by college football players to sit out bowl games to protect their futures makes all the sense in the world to me and helps to shine a light on the fact that college football is a business and not an off-shoot of "higher education". I'm amazed at what top college coaches get paid. Makes me wonder how the need to pay these coaches and fund these programs influences overall tuition costs for non-athletes.

The schools make a mint off these college athletes playing football. That's why they can afford the big salaries for coaches. It costs the school next to nothing to send a few extra students to class when they generate huge profits. Tuition costs for non- athletes are driven much more by the availability of student loans to fund their educations. Easy money = high prices.

My understanding is the programs bring in immense television revenue for the school, which funds the coaches salary, facilities, and athletic scholarships.

So I don't think the programs raise tuition costs for non-athletes. Where I think it does have an impact is, some of these schools practically maintain a separate academic curriculum for these kids - study halls, tutors, majors like "general studies" or "sport and exercise". And I'm not clear on whether the football revenues go to individual departments to pay for all that. So it might mean less or lower-paid faculty, TAs and tutors for the general student population.

It also means male athletes other than basketball and football get very little athletic scholarship support. Male volleyball player or wrestler? Good luck with that.

The NFL needs a developmental league.

Either don't do a developmental league and pay college kids or do a development league and leave college football to the kids not good enough to make it.

It's fascinating to me that college athletics are willing to admit that their coaches are professionals but their players aren't. I guess they hide behind professor/student. But what professor is getting paid like Saban?

It's fascinating to me that college athletics are willing to admit that their coaches are professionals but their players aren't. I guess they hide behind professor/student. But what professor is getting paid like Saban?

What professor is as in demand as Saban?

The NFL needs a developmental league.

Either don't do a developmental league and pay college kids or do a development league and leave college football to the kids not good enough to make it.

Why would NFL owners shell out millions to field a developmental league? Before you tell me that the league doesn't need to be involved I'll tell you that without NFL involvement any other league is doomed.

Why would NFL owners shell out millions to field a developmental league? Before you tell me that the league doesn't need to be involved I'll tell you that without NFL involvement any other league is doomed.

I want the NFL involved.

Why would they do it? Because it would make money. Lots of it. IF they could get kids to join that league instead of pretending to go to college for 3 years.

These kids should be paid. Not by colleges. By the NFL. Just like MLB pays minor league players.

If the NFL can make a developmental league that would truly be the best young players (now currently going to decent colleges), then it would be successful, in my opinion.

It frosts my ass to see someone like Jevon Kearse, whom I think every single person here can agree is an absolute idiot, go to college for three years at the University of Florida for free (and let's not pretend they're not getting paid already, and have been for many years) when someone going there to actually get an education (go figure) is paying over $20k/year (in-state. out of state is over $40k).

Separate professional sports from college educations.

Young baseball players choose all the time - do I go to school to play baseball and get my degree, risking injury and hoping for the best; or do I go straight into the minors and hope I can stay healthy enough and good enough to where I won't need the degree?

Why should that be different for football?

I want the NFL involved.

Why would they do it? Because it would make money. Lots of it. IF they could get kids to join that league instead of pretending to go to college for 3 years.

These kids should be paid. Not by colleges. By the NFL. Just like MLB pays minor league players.

If the NFL can make a developmental league that would truly be the best young players (now currently going to decent colleges), then it would be successful, in my opinion.

It frosts my ass to see someone like Jevon Kearse, whom I think every single person here can agree is an absolute idiot, go to college for three years at the University of Florida for free (and let's not pretend they're not getting paid already, and have been for many years) when someone going there to actually get an education (go figure) is paying over $20k/year (in-state. out of state is over $40k).

Separate professional sports from college educations.

Young baseball players choose all the time - do I go to school to play baseball and get my degree, risking injury and hoping for the best; or do I go straight into the minors and hope I can stay healthy enough and good enough to where I won't need the degree?

Why should that be different for football?

I get where you're going here, and it makes sense to me, but I don't give a crap about college football. This will never happen, however, as the NCAA and the universities profit so much from their football and (to a lesser degree) basketball programs. It's not the same as college baseball because barely anyone cares about college baseball. There is no money in it. I'm stating the obvious here, I suppose.

It's called a free enterprise system. The colleges decide how much the coach is worth to the college. If tuition costs get out of control, then students can choose alternate sources to get their education. It is a decision the student and his/her parents get to make and it is of their own free will.

System ain't broken. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

It's called a free enterprise system. The colleges decide how much the coach is worth to the college. If tuition costs get out of control, then students can choose alternate sources to get their education. It is a decision the student and his/her parents get to make and it is of their own free will.

System ain't broken. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

I get what you're saying, but the system ain't broken for who, though? Colleges are benefiting from the current system. Who else is?

The players? I don't really think so. The gap in talent from college to pros is huge; especially at the most important position on the field.

Instead of having all of these college teams with a few pro prospects on each team, why not have a smaller league full of pro prospects?

Young players will learn by playing against elite young talent and playing in NFL systems/schemes.

Young and/or inexperienced (or experienced, but unsuccessful at the the NFL level) coaches and executives will hone their skills in more of an NFL atmosphere.

Referees can benefit from this, too.

All of this will improve the NFL game, in my opinion.

I get what you're saying, but the system ain't broken for who, though? Colleges are benefiting from the current system. Who else is?

The players? I don't really think so. The gap in talent from college to pros is huge; especially at the most important position on the field.

Instead of having all of these college teams with a few pro prospects on each team, why not have a smaller league full of pro prospects?

Young players will learn by playing against elite young talent and playing in NFL systems/schemes.

Young and/or inexperienced (or experienced, but unsuccessful at the the NFL level) coaches and executives will hone their skills in more of an NFL atmosphere.

Referees can benefit from this, too.

All of this will improve the NFL game, in my opinion.

I have no problem with the NFL having/starting a separate developmental league if that is what they want to do. Not a bad idea.

I just don't want to force any changes on colleges. Let colleges do what they do and let the NFL start a separate league if they want. I'm down with that.

And let the NFL fund the developmental league however they want. sounds good to me. :thumbsup: