Would bringing back Pettine really be a crazy idea?

FireChan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think he said we can stop the run or stop the pass with this personnel, but not both. And he schemed/called plays around the pass.

Or, he always over schemes toward the pass. His last 4 years as DC, with 3 different teams, ranked against the run 26, 28, 32, 30. In contrast v the pass 2, 4, 8, 22. Just saying ,with 3 different sets of linebackers, those are some pretty bad run defenses.

Or, he always over schemes toward the pass. His last 4 years as DC, with 3 different teams, ranked against the run 26, 28, 32, 30. In contrast v the pass 2, 4, 8, 22. Just saying ,with 3 different sets of linebackers, those are some pretty bad run defenses.

Did you stop at 4 instead of 5, 6 or 7 because he was good against the run those years?

Did you stop at 4 instead of 5, 6 or 7 because he was good against the run those years?

If you wanted to back to earlier years when he worked with Rex in NY go ahead. We all know how the, Rex went to the AFC Championship game his first 2 years went! Why isn't the dude coaching in the NFL this year? Time off or nobody hired him because his defense against the run was at the bottom.

If you wanted to back to earlier years when he worked with Rex in NY go ahead. We all know how the, Rex went to the AFC Championship game his first 2 years went! Why isn't the dude coaching in the NFL this year? Time off or nobody hired him because his defense against the run was at the bottom.

Schwartz took a year off too with the #4 defense. It happens.

That sums it up..... Teams didn't pass on us much, because they didn't have to.

Not true, we were #16 in passes attempted against us.

Can't speak for him but from 2011 to 2015 (5 years), Pettine's D has been 20th or worse (much worse) against the run.

2009 and 2010 it was good. (6 and 7 years ago)

Sings "I can't be contented with yesterday's glories I can't live on promises winter to spring..."

if Pettine is a Rex disciple won't his defense be too hard for the guys too?

Lots of the reports that came out when Pettine was here was that he simplified stuff from Rex's scheme. Here's an example:

We don’t overload our guys. If you emphasize everything, you emphasize nothing, which is so true in football.

“If you can just tell a player, ‘Listen, these are just the four or five things you need to worry about to do your job this week, and just make sure you take care of those,’ then the other details aren’t as important.

“You don’t want to give them too much on their plate. And I think we’ve done a good job, as a staff, of compartmentalizing everybody’s job.”

They players see the results, and that’s always huge. The defence’s lofty team and individual stats serve to validate Pettine’s system in their eyes.

“What we’re doing works, and we can be that much better, especially when we’re at full strength,” Pettine said.

http://blogs.canoe.com/krykslants/nfl/mike-pettine-explains-bills-stark-defensive-turnaround-which-includes-nfls-most-undervalued-secondary/

Sounds like exactly what the Tub of Goo is looking for.

Can't speak for him but from 2011 to 2015 (5 years), Pettine's D has been 20th or worse (much worse) against the run.

2009 and 2010 it was good. (6 and 7 years ago)

Sings "I can't be contented with yesterday's glories I can't live on promises winter to spring..."

No. His rushing defense in 2011 was 13th total and 7th in YPC allowed.

Really he had one bad year with the Jets in 2012 who went 6-10 and were falling apart, a bad rush year with the EJ-led Bills in 2013, while contending with a bad LB group, and then the Browns. And the way the Browns have been run in the last 5 years, I don't hold anything that happens with them against any coach.

Edited by FireChan

It'd make for a strong hire. We'd get to the quarterback, cause turnovers and win more games for it. The secondary would suddenly look better. Our DL would be back to dominating games at times, and Pettine may do better against the run after learning some lessons and being stuck with Ragland, a run stuffing Mike.

OK, they didn't need passing yards because they were so easy to get on the ground. The bottom line is the same, it sucked.

It really didn't. They faced the 5th most rushing attempts and 16th most passing attempts. You know what that says to me? They faced far too many attempts. On a pure drive-by-drive basis, they were around top 10. And they were 9th in forcing TO's per drive and still faced the 5th most rushing attempts. To me, that screams offensive futility. At the very least, teams rushed on us because we were too hard to pass on. 3rd in passing yards per attempt allowed is REALLY REALLY good when we played Bradyx2, Flacco, Dalton, Brees, Big Ben, Cam Newton, Alex Smith, Tannehill and Matt Ryan. That's a murderer's row of QB's.

The run defense was not good, on the whole, in 2013. But I don't think any coach with a LB group like that and battling their own offense does much, if any, better.

As an aside, our rushing TD's allowed was 8th in the NFL. It's not like teams were blowing through us in the red zone.

People forget how bad the O was that year at scoring. We had 2 games where we scored 30+ points all year. 5 games under 20, and 7 under 21. They were BAD.

Edited by FireChan

If it weren't for how bad his run defense sucked, I'd say yeah. Even though they were much better against the pass, and they did get much more pressure on the QB, his run defense is as bad as Rex's was, so that would make this a NO!

But then again, maybe he learned a few things that might help him do better against the run, and we do have better LB's now.

Edited by BmarvB

I would take him back in a second.

When Rex came to town he promised a "bully." That of course was a joke. Buffalo is a tough town. The Bills need an aggressive coach and a physical team. I also think that some day he might be a good head coach as well. He didn't exactly go to a good situation in Cleveland and what happened there means little to nothing imo.

No

I want a straight up 4-3 guy. Dareus and KW are better DT's and there are only two or three true NT's in the league that can play the position effectively.

Lawson is a 4-3 DE. Washington is a 4-3 DE.

Hughes can play OLB or DE.

Zach and Ragland finish out the starting front 7.

Get rid of Preston Brown and Spikes

Sign another player that can play some middle and some SAM as a swing back-up.

I would take him back in a second.

When Rex came to town he promised a "bully." That of course was a joke. Buffalo is a tough town. The Bills need an aggressive coach and a physical team. I also think that some day he might be a good head coach as well. He didn't exactly go to a good situation in Cleveland and what happened there means little to nothing imo.

Pettine made a huge mistake taking the Cleveland job, and so did Hue Jackson. That's a coaching graveyard.