HC candidate Josh McDaniels

YoloinOhio

I don't see how he has learned that luxury.

I am guessing you meant earned that luxury. we all have earned that luxury when we have that job. When we are younger we jump at the opportunity for a promotion and more money, but when you get older and wiser you check that company out make sure it's a good fit for you and that you will be gainfully employed for awhile. That's no different than his situation.

My question to you is, WHY would he WANT the Bills HC job?

i mean there are a few reasons not to take the job like:

1. Turnstile at HC

2. One of the most undisciplined teams in the NFL. (Ranked the worst or near the worst for Penalties in a game last 2 years.)

3. New ownership

4. A side of the ball he is not an expert on that has completely collapsed over 2 years dispite having talent.

So I am sure he sees a lot red flags.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the stuff that I remember and that makes me not want to go anywhere near the guy. I'm not worried about his being in Belichick's shadow or about his W-L record with the Broncos. I'm sure he has a brilliant football mind, and coaches often grow considerably in their second stints.

However, the emotional immaturity, insecurity, and vindictiveness he showed . . . well let's just say that working on those issues takes a full lifetime, not just a few years back in BB's sheltering arms. It's not impossible that his maturity is considerably improved since then, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Same reason, I want nothing to do with Haley, another great football mind who ran a paranoid, controlling shop in KC from what I remember reading.

A lot of people have been talking about the need for a CEO more than a great tactician. Neither of those two guys fits the bill for me.

I would be happy with Lynn, and am intrigued by Patricia and Toub. But keep the paranoid, thin-skinned, control-freaks off my team.

we think very much alike regarding those two potential HC candidates.

McDaniels had his team alive until week 17 in his first year and only made it 12 games in year 2 (at age 33 or whatever).

Tebow was a mistake but show me a coach that hasn't made a mistake. I certainly am not scared of the resume of a guy that was 33 and coached 28 games. That book isn't fully written. I believe, like many others, that he will be a great HC. His work with that Pats offense has been brilliant and Brady and Belicheck would agree.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine why he would pick here? I am sure that we will talk to him but I'm not sure that he will be interested. I think that he ends up in LA but should go to Jax. I desperately want what's NEXT (and maybe Kyle Shanahan is that). McDaniels track record is longer but they are kind of similar. Maybe that guy is Anthony Lynn? Or Teryl Austin? I want to be the team that hires the next Adam Gase. Of all of those guys, to me, McDaniels has the best resume.

Hold your hoses on Gase. The Dolphins have played very well but have played the WEAKEST schedule in the NFL. (Pats had the second weakest )

Hold your hoses on Gase. The Dolphins have played very well but have played the WEAKEST schedule in the NFL. (Pats had the second weakest )

I don't love Gase but he took an undisciplined, underachieving team and put them in the playoffs in year 1. That is pretty much the job description of what the Bills are looking for.

Thank you. I did remember that he had issues at Denver but didnt have a full count of them. This is very concerning if he wants to be considered a HC candidate.

As for MacDaniels, ya I think he will be successful as a head coach basically because he is not jumping at just ANY opportunity but one that he sees a clear path for success. (Also wouldn't surprise me if he stays in NE as BB will probably retire within the next 5 years.)

I dont think there is enough evidence to suggest he can be a very good HC. His track record is of a good OC undoubtedly helped by the BB system and Brady. Doesnt automatically translate into HC credentials.

In terms of McDaniels (who is my favorite candidate) he has run one of the most dynamic units in the NFL for years. They won even without Brady this year (but he was my top guy prior). They play with pace, exploit mismatches and are always the most prepared team. He owns that side of the ball. Belicheck just lets him go. He got his first HC job at like 33 or something. He just wasn't ready at that point. He went back, and grew as a coach. He is 40ish now with a dynamite resume and the utmost respect of the top football minds. I think that most people expect him to be great at his next stop. He will have his choice of where to go so he can be picky.

All of which proves he is a good OC. Not enough to suggest he can do well with the other tasks and skills of being a HC. Especially for a franchise hungry for immediate success.

Thank you. I did remember that he had issues at Denver but didnt have a full count of them. This is very concerning if he wants to be considered a HC candidate.

I dont think there is enough evidence to suggest he can be a very good HC. His track record is of a good OC undoubtedly helped by the BB system and Brady. Doesnt automatically translate into HC credentials.

I wouldn't b overly shocked if he stayed and waited for BB to retire to take over NE. As you said the system is already in place and he would keep the staff as is.

All of which proves he is a good OC. Not enough to suggest he can do well with the other tasks and skills of being a HC. Especially for a franchise hungry for immediate success.

It proves as much as any other good coordinator candidate. In fact, his resume of success is as long, or longer than any coordinator's. If that is your train of thought are you excluding every coordinator from your wish list?

I wouldn't b overly shocked if he stayed and waited for BB to retire to take over NE. As you said the system is already in place and he would keep the staff as is.

I don't think so. This year his value is at it's highest. I suppose that he could wait a year but I don't see him waiting 5 in the not for long league. He has said that he will explore jobs this year as he did last year. He will be picky but he isn't going to hope that he is still a good candidate in 5 years. As an example, if the Indy job opens I would think that he would jump at it.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It proves as much as any other good coordinator candidate. In fact, his resume of success is as long, or longer than any coordinator's. If that is your train of thought are you excluding every coordinator from your wish list?

Not necessarily. Coordinators float to the top as HC candidates cos of their reputation for organization, planning, flexibility, scheming and level-headedness gets around. My major concern is due to his proven disaster at Denver. if he was another upcoming HC candidate, as Lynn is, I would be more in line with your thoughts. Hope this makes sense.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Same as he would probably take the Buffalo Bills money and still do his masters bidding.

I got a kick out of Belichick stating that teams are firing head coaches too soon. Less effort on his part to keep beating up a Rex Ryan team.

Belichick simply wants to play against Ryan's team as often as possible. Don't blame him a bit.

I don't think so. This year his value is at it's highest. I suppose that he could wait a year but I don't see him waiting 5 in the not for long league. He has said that he will explore jobs this year as he did last year. He will be picky but he isn't going to hope that he is still a good candidate in 5 years. As an example, if the Indy job opens I would think that he would jump at it.

I agree with Indy as well. He would be drooling coach Luck. Mind you he need like a ton of FA/ draft picks fix that OLine. But I see only 3 stops be interested in jumping for: Indy, LA, and SD. Although with SD probably moving he may stay away from that one.

Not necessarily. Coordinators float to the top as HC candidates cos of their reputation for organization, planning, flexibility, scheming and level-headedness gets around. My major concern is due to his proven disaster at Denver. if he was another upcoming HC candidate, as Lynn is, I would be more in line with your thoughts. Hope this makes sense.

Kind of but those bolded he has in spades. He won with 3 different QBs this year and a variety of different ways (flexibility and planning). I don't think that anyone would question the scheming and the organization of the Patriots. The level-headedness he lacked as a HC but he was 33 years old and it was 7 years ago. Here is the write up on him from a list of HC candidates (he was at the top):

Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots: The team's 3-1 stretch without Tom Brady answered any lingering questions potentially had by hiring clubs. McDaniels has been a top-five candidate each of the last three years, but, according to multiple people who have spoken with him, he's intent on waiting out the right opportunity. McDaniels isn't shy about stating his love for New England and his comfort level in remaining there. Make no mistake, though: Teams are asking around and are well aware that the 40-year-old is a changed man from the 33-year-old firecracker who started hot with the Denver Broncos before burning the candle at both ends.

I just don't believe that 28 games at age 33 are that telling. They certainly aren't telling enough to close the book. He has everything that I want in a HC candidate.

I agree with Indy as well. He would be drooling coach Luck. Mind you he need like a ton of FA/ draft picks fix that OLine. But I see only 3 stops be interested in jumping for: Indy, LA, and SD. Although with SD probably moving he may stay away from that one.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Kind of but those bolded he has in spades. He won with 3 different QBs this year and a variety of different ways (flexibility and planning). I don't think that anyone would question the scheming and the organization of the Patriots. The level-headedness he lacked as a HC but he was 33 years old and it was 7 years ago. Here is the write up on him from a list of HC candidates (he was at the top):

Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots: The team's 3-1 stretch without Tom Brady answered any lingering questions potentially had by hiring clubs. McDaniels has been a top-five candidate each of the last three years, but, according to multiple people who have spoken with him, he's intent on waiting out the right opportunity. McDaniels isn't shy about stating his love for New England and his comfort level in remaining there. Make no mistake, though: Teams are asking around and are well aware that the 40-year-old is a changed man from the 33-year-old firecracker who started hot with the Denver Broncos before burning the candle at both ends.

I just don't believe that 28 games at age 33 are that telling. They certainly aren't telling enough to close the book. He has everything that I want in a HC candidate.

Hmm reading your post makes me wonder if he was a HC elsewhere and BB retired if he would do a BB and quit and become the Pats new HC. (I may be reading to much into the love of New England lol)

I think McDaniels is he best Head Coaching candidate on the market. But he absolutely has his pick and why would he pick a job where he coaches against Bill and Tom twice a year unless he knows something about them planning to stop soon?

EDIT: and if he knows that would he not prefer to stay on in NE? He would surely be a shoe in for the job if he wanted it?

His 3-9 season in Denver doesn't give you any pause?

I get, it was a long time ago. He's matured as a coach since then.

But I also get that all coordinators who work for Belichick tend to look good. Belichick makes sure of that.

Everyone thought Charlie Weis was a genius when he worked for Belichick. But Charlie's since gone on to establish himself as a mediocre HC at the college level with a career .500 record.

How do you know Josh isn't another Charlie?

Edited by hondo in seattle

Understood. However, at this juncture of the franchise, the bills can ill afford to give an ex-HC a chance at redemption. He could be the HC equivalent of Incognito but if the leopard doesnt change its stripes, the team and several associated with it could be on the street in 2 years.

i say that and yet the hypocrite in me is somehow intrigued by Todd Haley. Go figure :D

Understood. However, at this juncture of the franchise, the bills can ill afford to give an ex-HC a chance at redemption. He could be the HC equivalent of Incognito but if the leopard doesnt change its stripes, the team and several associated with it could be on the street in 2 years.

i say that and yet the hypocrite in me is somehow intrigued by Todd Haley. Go figure :D

Ha ha, fair enough

I think that the most realistic option (and I wouldn't hate it) is:

HC - Lynn

OC - Kromer or maybe they try to bring a QB coach with a promotion

DC: Gus Bradley

This combination makes the team better instantly IMO. The incompetence on the defensive side of the ball is what caused the issues.

His 3-9 season in Denver doesn't give you any pause?

I get, it was a long time ago. He's matured as a coach since then.

But I also get that all coordinators who work for Belichick tend to look good. Belichick makes sure of that.

Everyone thought Charlie Weis was a genius when he worked for Belichick. But Charlie's since gone on to establish himself as a mediocre HC at the college level with a career .500 record.

How do you know Josh isn't another Charlie?

No one considered Weis a genious up here, but the HC A took over for him in ND won with the talent he recruited and then sucked with his own recruits. And College is diff than pro.

My top choice. People don't want BB's minions? Might be the dumbest comment ever. Why would the Bills want a guy who works in a winning organization, run extremely well, with a culture of accountability, and who won games his season with a backup QB? Unreal. I'd take Lynn well after I made sure many other guys from winning organizations turned it down.

I would hire any former Patriot employees I could get. Janitors, equipment managers, anything.

Ha ha, fair enough

I think that the most realistic option (and I wouldn't hate it) is:

HC - Lynn

OC - Kromer or maybe they try to bring a QB coach with a promotion

DC: Gus Bradley

This combination makes the team better instantly IMO. The incompetence on the defensive side of the ball is what caused the issues.

I was reading Kromer's bio and he only was OC once. It was with the Bears in 2013 (Trestman was the HC) and he had that offense Top 2 in points scored. Was he that good that year? and with Cutler nontheless.

I was reading Kromer's bio and he only was OC once. It was with the Bears in 2013 (Trestman was the HC) and he had that offense Top 2 in points scored. Was he that good that year? and with Cutler nontheless.

He was the interim HC at the Saints as well during bounty gate (at least while Vitt was suspended). He has a really strong reputation and our OL improved greatly. The OC title may keep him here even if the play calling duties fall to Lynn.

The offense did work in Chicago under Kromer but Trestman called the plays I believe. The only thing that Kromer called, was Jay Cutler out anonymously.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't think that you ever KNOW that someone will be great regardless of what they did previously. A lot of guys have flopped and been great at their next stop and others were great and terrible at their next stop.

In terms of McDaniels (who is my favorite candidate) he has run one of the most dynamic units in the NFL for years. They won even without Brady this year (but he was my top guy prior). They play with pace, exploit mismatches and are always the most prepared team. He owns that side of the ball. Belicheck just lets him go. He got his first HC job at like 33 or something. He just wasn't ready at that point. He went back, and grew as a coach. He is 40ish now with a dynamite resume and the utmost respect of the top football minds. I think that most people expect him to be great at his next stop. He will have his choice of where to go so he can be picky.

That's my 2 second synopsis on McDaniels. With that being said, I doubt that he picks the Bills. If I were him I would shoot for the Jags job of the ones open. They have a lot of talent but play bad football. He can go there and look like a genius in year one by taking them to 7+ wins.

The thing about McDaniel. In St Louis, he took over a QB who can make all the throws, a #1 overall pick in his 2rd year. He had a great RB, 28 but still fast.

He had good WR, including Brandon Lloyd coming off a 1400 yd season in Denver, Danny Amendola, Danario Alexander who was a capable #2 or 3 for San Diego the next year. The Rams had invested 3 1st-3-round draft picks in the last 3 years, 5 draft picks 5th round or higher on OL in the last 4 years.

Bradford spoke admiringly and supportingly of McDaniel and expressed disappointment when Spagnulo was fired after 3 years and McDaniel left.

And yet, it was awful. A total wet mess. By far Bradford's worst year: 6 TD, 6 INT in 10 games, 216 ypg, completion percentage of 53.6%.

A huge disappointment after the Rams tied the Seahawks for the division lead and came within 1 game of playoffs Bradford's rookie season, and brought in McDaniel to bolster their previous-year's 26th rated offense. Instead it regressed to 30th.

OK, so McDaniel then went to the Pats and was once again, all that and a bag of chips. Top-5 and usually better offenses every year since.

It has me scratching my head - what was it with the Rams that he couldn't get anything to go? But it also has me worried that he's not exactly the "quarterback whisperer" who can take a guy who isn't a 1st ballot hall of famer and get a capable offense out of him.