This quote is precisely why Rex failed as a HC...

eball

You can have the hard ass like Marrone or the lovable buffoon like Rex, but you can't have both.

Look at Belichek.. he's no lovable buffoon.. but Pats fans don't seem to mind. Doug was run outta town based on his dry personality. Now Rex is too. When will it end?

Belichek knows every aspect of the NFL. League agenda, rulebook, personnel, decades worth of plays in all three aspects.

Rex knows one defense that's been outdated for about 10 years.

Marrone had Kyle Orton run the read/option when he didn't have the endurance to even stay in the pocket, and thought he could cover Gronk with Spikes and Bradham.

It's not about being a player's coach or a hardliner. It's about knowing the game and being honest in your assessments. You really can't care about praise or blame, but just do the right thing.

He has been with Rex for a long time not sure I want a Rex Ryan branch as my head coach or OC or DC or even water boy

Yet he freely admitted yesterday that Tyrod needs to learn to throw between the hash marks and the off season is the time to do that. Rex would have talked coach speak all around that, admitting nothing.

It's a reason.

The main reason, IMO, was his steadfastness in force-fitting players to his scheme instead of the other way around. The first year was a hybrid, which was awful. The second year, it seemed, all facets of the defense for many games never seemed to click at once.

I do think if given another year, it could've gelled. But three 200-yard rushers, fan ire and so many meltdowns made it a no-brainer to fire him.

... And so off we go, once again, looking at the other shiny rocks across the stream (ooh, look at Lynn, look at Couglin!) with the exact same leadership as three other times before. Will the next rock do better, or just do some things better and some things worse, only to repeat the entire process again in two years if we don't make the playoffs by then? Or is the leadership the main part of the problem?

Rex was fired because of his embarrassing inattention to detail and the absolute failings of his defense. It's funny to listen to national sports talk and they still talk about what a great Defensive coach he is and some team will be lucky to get him as their defensive coordinator. Talk about a lack of awareness of the situation here... Rex and Rob's defense was abysmal. It cannot get much worse.

Rex was living off past success (back to back AFC Championship games with the Jets). He's done nothing after that. His offenses were pretty much one dimensional, and his defense weren't good enough to compliment an old school run heavy offense. Had he been smart enough to keep the defense we had here intact, even with the offense we have now we'd most likely have had the first wild card spot locked up and a good shot at being in the AFC Championship game.

From Corey White yesterday:

If theres any coach you want to play for, White said, its Rex. Hes going to have your back in any circumstance. Hes not going to sell you out, hes not going to bring your name to the media saying, 'this persons bad.' Hes going to have your back 100 percent.

This is what I've been saying for weeks now. Of course players love Rex, because he doesn't hold them accountable. He won't make the necessary disciplinary decisions that hold players' feet to the fire. Example A was Mario not being benched last year. There are numerous others.

You combine a lack of attention to detail with an inability to enforce how you want things to be run, and you get a .500 team that plays a completely inconsistent brand of football despite having playoff-calibre talent.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that players love Rex. If your boss never demanded that you perform, you'd love him too.

So glad to see him gone. I just want accountability. Dare I say I miss Marrone? Nah, can't say it. He had the accountability stuff down, but he had no innovation to go along with it. I'm curious about Anthony Lynn. I think being here first hand and seeing why Rex failed will help him.

Your adding a lot more into that quote than what was said. All he said was the Rex wouldn't sell his players out to the media, neither would BB. Now he said Rex always had their back, to me that's vague as again any good coach would have his players back, that does not mean you get away doing stupid **** without any fall out. But does say if your benched your coach isn't going to say to the media "it's for XYZ" instead like BB always says "it was what was best for the (smack) team (smack) and gave us the best chance to win." Lol (BB truly hates Press conferences lol)

Rex was living off past success (back to back AFC Championship games with the Jets). He's done nothing after that. His offenses were pretty much one dimensional, and his defense weren't good enough to compliment an old school run heavy offense. Had he been smart enough to keep the defense we had here intact, even with the offense we have now we'd most likely have had the first wild card spot locked up and a good shot at being in the AFC Championship game.

Excellent post.

Rex was not in touch with the NFL of today. He was old school and never adjusted his coaching philosophy to the current spread passing game of the NFL. His approach was an ill-fit from both an offensive and defensive standpoint. The irony is that his inability to stop the run with his self-described bully defense demonstrated how ill-equipped his approach to defense was.

One of the biggest problems that led to his downfall here was that he was going to channel his efforts into getting the team to adjust to what he wanted to do instead of adjusting to the strengths and weaknesses of the roster he was working with. The more he stubbornly tried to prove to everyone that his way was the superior way the more he proved that his resistance to change was the more foolish way to approach the game.

Let's not get carried away and give Rex all the blame for how this team played. This was a flawed roster with gaping holes on both side of the line of scrimmage. All you can expect of your HC is to get the max out of the roster he has to work with. He didn't. His departure shouldn't come as a surprise because it was inevitable.

You can have the hard ass like Marrone or the lovable buffoon like Rex, but you can't have both.

Look at Belichek.. he's no lovable buffoon.. but Pats fans don't seem to mind. Doug was run outta town based on his dry personality. Now Rex is too. When will it end?

Doug quit because he tried a power play and it failed. Fans didn't like him because of his lackluster offense and degrading performance of his supposed area of expertise, OL.

Rex was fired for inconsistant D and poor game management and coaching performance.

It will end when we get a coach who is willing and able to get the best out of the personnel he is given, preferably one who chooses real OC and DC and delegates responsibility effectively.