SB Nation: Rex Ryan Left the Bills the only way he knew how

YoloinOhio

Not sure if this article is buried in the mega thread already because it was published last night.., but this is a damning assessment of how Rex treated this season, and again asserts it was his decision to leave now (as opposed to waiting until after the season) and the Pegulas told him go ahead, and take your brother too.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/27/14094760/rex-ryan-fired-buffalo-bills-rob-ryan-tyrod-taylor-future

If I'm the GM, and I observe all of this from the HC, and I don't have the power to fire him myself... I am absolutely going to make sure the owner is aware and give my thoughts on what is best for the team. Call it whatever you want but it's in the best interest of the team not to sit on my hands and pretend everything is fine and he just needs more time. Giving him more time after what occurred this year would just exacerbate the complacency Rex had.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not sure if this article is buried in the mega thread already because it was published last night.., but this is a damning assessment of how Rex treated this season, and again asserts it was his decision to leave now (as opposed to waiting until after the season) and the Pegulas told him go ahead, and take your brother too.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/27/14094760/rex-ryan-fired-buffalo-bills-rob-ryan-tyrod-taylor-future

If I'm the GM, and I observe all of this from the HC, and I don't have the power to fire him myself... I am absolutely going to make sure the owner is aware and give my thoughts on what is best for the team. Call it whatever you want but it's in the best interest of the team not to sit on my hands and pretend everything is fine and he just needs more time. Giving him more time after what occurred this year would just exacerbate the complacency Rex had.

There was a palpable feeling soon after he took the job that Rex wasn't going to spend too many nights in the office.

Not sure why George doubts that one bit.

IMO the Jets job burned Rex out and he wasn't going to go thru that again so he figured he'd hire enough coaches to take care of all the details.

Didn't work the first time so he got permission to hire MORE coaches.

It also backs up the reports that several Bills players said Rob was too involved and there were too many cooks in the kitchen on D. When they all went to game 7 of the World Series, Rob was the only one who stayed back and worked. I don't think it's a huge deal they went to Cleveland for a few hours on an "off day" (not sure that term pertains to coaches) but I do think it showed who was doing the dirty work.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think Ryan pushed for a long term deal, thinking that he had earned it from his past. I dont think that he had any intention of winning a Super Bowl or lasting 5yrs.

Coasting is exactly what he did this year, and he brought his brother in to get him paid, too, if only for 1 yr.

Football is all he knows, and he knew well enough what he was doing.

It also backs up the reports that several Bills players said Rob was too involved and there were too many cooks in the kitchen on D. When they all went to game 7 of the World Series, Rob was the only one who stayed back and worked. I don't think it's a huge deal they went to Cleveland for a few hours on an "off day" (not sure that term pertains to coaches) but I do think it showed who was doing the dirty work.

I wasn't ecstatic about the hiring but I was OK with it initially. He actually did a great job as HC of the Jets in 2013.......that was his best work, IMO. But I started to get a bad feeling when Rex was f*cking around with all the antics that first offseason..........it was like he was a kid on summer vacation. And then the massive amount of coaching hires was a red flag. No boss wants that many managers unless they plan to not interact much with them. Then Dareus basically came out in August and said he was just going to do his own thing out there even if it bothered his position coach a little bit. When the season started and a couple games in it was clear that the defense was in disarray I knew then that there was no question Rex had been mailing his work in.

At his initial presser, he proclaimed this be his last coaching job. It made me think he was already kicking back into a sort of semi-retirement. Then he went out and started hiring what seemed like every guy who'd worked for him. It felt like he was "feather-bedding, trying to get them all a final payday. It left me with the impression that makin' bank and having fun on the Pegula's dime was more important than making the Bills elite.

I, too, think it will be Tyrod going forward. He showed a lot vs Miami that we've been screaming to see. BUT, unless the new HC is already known and can't be released currently, the door remains open to re-negotiate his contract if the new boss buys into him as the QB going forward. If they opt to let him go, they BETTER have an equal or better prospect...