Report: final game considered an audition for Dennis Thurman

YoloinOhio

I really hope we don't throw the baby out with the bath water. We've lost Schwartz, Henderson, and some other fine coaches in recent years. I think part of Lynn being a favorite is some degree of continuity and keeping or promoting what works and dumping most things Rex. I'd like Lynn as at least OC, and Kromer has quietly done a hell of a job.

Agreed.

And an additional plus of retaining Lynn and many of the coaches is that the "we need time" excuse goes out of the window.

Hiring Lynn would basically just be an extension of the Ryan hiring and if things aren't turned around quickly a full house clean could reasonably commence as soon as next offseason.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? That whole philosophy is antiquated and broken. The defensive coaching slate should be wiped clean, the same goes for ST. I'd probably kick David Lee to the curb while I'm at it.

David Lee should most definitely go. He regressed Fitzy by trying to "fix" him and I see no evidence he's helped any of the QB here to progress as passers.

Agreed.

And an additional plus of retaining Lynn and many of the coaches is that the "we need time" excuse goes out of the window.

Hiring Lynn would basically just be an extension of the Ryan hiring and if things aren't turned around quickly a full house clean could reasonably commence as soon as next offseason.

Excellent point! :thumbsup: Alright, I'll take Lynn over Kotite.

Agreed.

And, whether for real, or at least couched as a Whaley hiring, we have the first accountable act in quite some time. And I'm a Whaley supporter! But we need to be clear on who is calling the shots, and who is under fire or taking all the sunshine :)

Do you advocate that they tell everyone they are gone in a week? Got to give them a reason to show up

I guess you are right but there's something to transparency as well. Something to the tune of, "we thank you for the job you've done and would like you to finish out the year but we are going to go in another direction next year." That just feels a lot more honorable than "you have a 1 game audition for your job (but not really)." If you are that concerned that the coaches wouldn't show up you have bigger problems than you could have ever imagined.

Excellent point! :thumbsup: Alright, I'll take Lynn over Kotite.

I know this much........if I'm Terry Pegula and Whaley tells me he wants to dump Tyrod I tell him right then that if this offense drops off he will be the first man thrown into the woodchipper. There will be no excuses.

We don't need anymore power move situations like Rex/Schwartz where the insecure superior wants to eliminate a very productive player/coach that could be perceived as successful and not 100% theirs.

Thurman needs to walk as with all the defensive staff. If you rebuild, do it right.

That's the most likely approach and my inclination but frankly good DC's are a dime-a-dozen.

All you need to be a good DC is TALENT and willinginess to adapt your scheme to the talent.

Being a good OC or HC is FAR more complicated/involved and time consuming.

It's entirely possible that Thurman could run an excellent, one gap attacking D but hasn't been given the opportunity to show it.

I admit, I want the owners turning it over the the GM/guy in charge. It's our best chance for success. Just sign the checks. I know you'll want to shake hands first. NO MORE REX CLOWNS!

(And still never a guarantee.)