Bills to be a non factor next season

HOF

It wasn't quite one a day, but you make a good point.  The problem is this team could absorb even those.  But when the running back was also making one or more mistakes a day it was just too much to overcome.

254268[/snapback]

Which is why we at least started getting better with Willis in the backfield.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I am really sick of the excuses that are made by some members here for Bledsoe's bad performance.  Players make mistakes, it's true, but with Moulds, it will come once or twice a year.  With McGahee, maybe once or twice a year.  With Bledsoe,  you could count on having to make up for one big mistake every game.  There are many different players to blame for our losses, but Bledsoe is a key component in pretty much all of them.  That's not something you should be saying about your starting quarterback.  He was a liability, now he's gone and everyone needs to move on and hope that our next QB is not as big of one.

254267[/snapback]

Nice one, newbie. That's exactly what you'll find with the pro-Bledsoe crowd. Several of us have pointed out that whenever it comes to defending Drew, it's usually pertaining to how he wasn't the ENTIRE reason why we lost. It never has to do with all the wonderful ways Drew has won games (especially big games) for us, cause he doesn't EVER FRIGGIN DO IT. The big game players on this team can be found on our defense, on special teams, and a little deeper in the offensive backfield than the QB. These units and Willis have more than earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being playmakers. Drew has NOT. That's why he's gone.

jeez, this board has reached a new low when people are content with 5 straight years of missing the playoffs.........they don't call him "teflon tom" for nothing!

254248[/snapback]

Yeah, seriously.

Did you know that only 5 other NFL teams exist with a playoff drought as long as ours or worse?

Bengals - 1990

Cards - 1998

Lions - 1999

Skins - 1999

Jags - 1999

OUR TEAM - 1999

Some quality company, eh?

I've given this franchise a 3 year mulligan (2000-2002) because of the whole salary cap jail situation, but since 2003 the direction of this team has flat out pissed me off.

Teflon Tom is on the hot seat with me, even though I know such negativity is not generally welcome with the regulars on this board. He does just enough to market the team and maintain interest, but when the regular season comes along, we find ourselves again with a paper tiger core of players that fold under pressure.

No more excuses in 2005. I don't care if JP stinks up the joint. We have the #2 NFL D, #1 ST minus Lindell, and a running game with a very bright future. Such a formula allowed the Steelers to go 15-1. Given the competitiveness of the AFC East, I'd say 10-6 and a 6th seed isn't being overly demanding as a loyal Bills fan.

Is it?

You must've quoted the wrong person because you sure the hell aren't talking about me. I didn't say a goddamn thing about not making the playoffs or even mentioned TD in my thread. So unless you're just making long, broad assumptions that have no value whatsoever, I'll assume you quoted the wrong post. Would you mind going back and editing your post and putting the proper quote in there? I'd appreciate it,  because otherwise it looks like you didn't read my post and just threw a random thought up there because it makes you feel better.

And I'm sure that's not the case.

254264[/snapback]

you said you don't care about the team's win/loss record as long as they show improvement........

therefore, you won't be upset if they miss the playoffs as long as they show improvement......that is basic logic, not an assumption........

i think that is truly sad that anyone would be content with a GM who can't get his team in the playoffs after 5 years on the job........

don't write something unless your ready to stand behind it.......

Yeah, seriously.

Did you know that only 5 other NFL teams exist with a playoff drought as long as ours or worse?

Bengals - 1990

Cards - 1998

Lions - 1999

Skins - 1999

Jags - 1999

OUR TEAM - 1999

Some quality company, eh?

I've given this franchise a 3 year mulligan (2000-2002) because of the whole salary cap jail situation, but since 2003 the direction of this team has flat out pissed me off.

Teflon Tom is on the hot seat with me, even though I know such negativity is not generally welcome with the regulars on this board. He does just enough to market the team and maintain interest, but when the regular season comes along, we find ourselves again with a paper tiger core of players that fold under pressure.

No more excuses in 2005. I don't care if JP stinks up the joint. We have the #2 NFL D, #1 ST minus Lindell, and a running game with a very bright future. Such a formula allowed the Steelers to go 15-1. Given the competitiveness of the AFC East, I'd say 10-6 and a 6th seed isn't being overly demanding as a loyal Bills fan.

Is it?

254275[/snapback]

Hey, maybe we should lobby 'Teflon Tom' to go out and sign a slow white guy with a MASSIVE helmet to shore up the secondary........whaddya think???? :D

I could care less about 'getting' to the playoffs. I'm interested in building a superbowl contender that is capable of winning it all. TD may take one step back in order to take two steps  forward from time to time, but there is no question this team is on the right track.

254259[/snapback]

Is it now?

Under your time frame, by the time our offense gets it together - assuming JP IS a success - our aging D will need to be replaced.

Is it now?

Under your time frame, by the time our offense gets it together - assuming JP IS a success - our aging D will need to be replaced.

254281[/snapback]

I'd say we have a two year window with the current D, and in that time Tommy the T will more than have adequately plugged the holes. That's the point I think some of you miss......that is why it is IMMENSELY important to keep the payroll under control and manage the salary cap. We have got to have the flexibility we need year in and year out in order to offset any free agent losses and/or injuries. Tom D is managing this team to be successful on a long term basis.......some of you guys need to get your heads out of the Butler years. Especiallly you, helmet head!!! :D

another guy who would be content with a GM who can't get his team in the playoffs after 5 seasons.......very, very sad...........

254279[/snapback]

Why don't you post my entire quote instead of cutting it up to where it suits ya? The idea is to win a championship......THAT is what the majority of us care about. THAT is what is long overdue for our team. And THAT is the point that you are conveniently missing.

now that's an understatement! haha

i guess the truth hurts.........

254282[/snapback]

Oh please.......there is very little 'truth' anywhere to be found on this board.....it's called opinion......get a clue, bro

Why don't you post my entire quote instead of cutting it up to where it suits ya? The idea is to win a championship......THAT is what the majority of us care about. THAT is what is long overdue for our team. And THAT is the point that you are conveniently missing.

254285[/snapback]

i saw the entire post.......and the rest of the post does not pertain to the point.......

the point is we have missed the playoffs 4 straight years........i don't care what type of team you are building -- win now, win later, win forever........4 years is a long time and 5 years is flat out unacceptable.........

no team that is managed properly should have to go 5 years with a new regime without making the playoffs.......that is unacceptable in my eyes, and i find it very sad that is acceptable in the eyes of some.......

Oh please.......there is very little 'truth' anywhere to be found on this board.....it's called opinion......get a clue, bro

254288[/snapback]

fact......we have missed the playoffs 4 straight years.....

fact........you and others would find it acceptable to miss the playoffs another year as long as the team shows progress.......

fact.......it is very sad that expectations are so low for this team in the eyes of some..........

i saw the entire post.......and the rest of the post does not pertain to the point.......

the point is we have missed the playoffs 4 straight years........i don't care what type of team you are building -- win now, win later, win forever........4 years is a long time and 5 years is flat out unacceptable.........

no team that is managed properly should have to go 5 years with a new regime without making the playoffs.......that is unacceptable in my eyes, and i find it very sad that is acceptable in the eyes of some.......

254289[/snapback]

What's REALLY sad is not taking into account the circumstances of the situation and just making some blanket statement like you are. If you could have Parcells come in here and get us in the playoffs in two years, but never win a superbowl vs. Teflon Tom taking five years to put all the pieces in place that allow us to actaually win one, which scenario would you prefer? Yeah, most of us wish things would have been on a more rapid time table......but the fact is, it hasn't happened how we'd have liked it to. But that has no bearing whatsoever on what we're going to do this year, and if you take a look at this team you ought to be able to see that we are not just primed for success next season, we are primed for success for the future, too.

Tom D is managing this team to be successful on a long term basis.......some of you guys need to get your heads out of the Butler years. Especiallly you, helmet head!!!  :D

254283[/snapback]

No, I completely respect your opinion and perfectly understand where you're coming from. I have no problem with the Bills managing the cap wisely and being competitive year in and year out. But the problem with TD is that he's done the former very well and not the latter.

Also, many will argue (especially Fin fans since 1984) that it's better to be very excellent a few years and very bad the next few rather than pretty good every year but not good enough to win a Super Bowl (or in our case, just making the playoffs).

No, I completely respect your opinion and perfectly understand where you're coming from. I have no problem with the Bills managing the cap wisely and being competitive year in and year out. But the problem with TD is that he's done the former very well and not the latter.

Also, many will argue (especially Fin fans since 1984) that it's better to be very excellent a few years and very bad the next few rather than pretty good every year but not good enough to win a Super Bowl (or in our case, just making the playoffs).

254292[/snapback]

Well, let me ask you this, though..........if you think long and hard about the last four years......do you REALLY think that TD was the problem? Can you not say that what TD has done to make the team better has clearly outweighed the decisions of his that did not work out? I just think that if you objectively look at the various components of the team since the 2001 season, TD has been much more a part of the solution than he has the problem. There are 32 teams in this league, and TD has been able to bring some pretty nice talent to a cold weather small market team that chances are many players aren't exactly dying to play for. TD has taken Price, Henry, and Bledsoe and replaced at LEAST two of the three with SUPERIOR playmakers. He's put together one of the best defenses in the league. He's had strong drafts and we're in very good cap shape. I just don't see how anyone can fault TD.......and I'm sure if you ask him, he'd tell you he's sick of not being in the playoffs, too. But he's also proved that he's more than willing to keep trying and making changes until he gets it right.......that is MORE than good enough for me.

Are these the "circumstances"???

1. Gregg Williams was a mistake.

2. Drew Bledsoe was a mistake.

3. 2002 draft was a near-total failure.

254294[/snapback]

Every GM in the league has a list like that, bro