Trump foreign policy

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Can anyone guess why China subsidized steel production and previously put our steel industry out of business? Can anyone guess why Trump put tariffs on steel?

Racism?  Misogynism?  Separating families?  Tax cuts for the rich?  Collaboration with Russians? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Can anyone guess why China subsidized steel production and previously put our steel industry out of business? Can anyone guess why Trump put tariffs on steel?

Because of the National Security threat posed by Canada.  Don't forget they burned down the White House during the War of 1812. :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Because of the National Security threat posed by Canada.  Don't forget they burned down the White House during the War of 1812. :lol:

It's a funny joke (seriously):beer: 

But look past the joke and to the serious national security implications of outsourcing steel production. And remember what industry uses steel by the boatload.

* US Shutters and outsources much of its steel production to China in the 90s-2016

* Canada buys cheap Chinese steel and imports it to the US

* For two decades the US military is using substandard steel in armor plating and all manner of MiC production. 

That has a long term impact on our military readiness and capabilities. We saw it in Iraq 2 (humvees with no armor plating sent into the suck for example). 

36 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You couldn't find something to copy and paste in order to respond? My point was made by DR above but I'd add to that the importance of just having a steel industry in the U.S. is critical to our national security. Mexico was a culprit too. Regardless, we needed to find a way for Canada to pay for the reconstruction of the White House.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Right. From what you saw.

How many people in totalitarian states come out publically and speak their mind?

You can continue to operate in fear of angering china. I refuse to do so.

Still no mechanism to make the rulers accountable to people who did not vote for them

ie: Steel

I have a brother that works in a steel plant. For the (nearly) 10 years he has worked there (not on the line, but Hubby does have a hunting buddy that works on the line in the same plant) I could tell the shape of the economy 6 months out by the production + hours they worked. Let's just say that for the past year they have all been scheduled 65-70 hours per week, and there is no end in sight. They are very tired, but it is difficult to complain about $$.

Also - U.S. Steel to reopen dormant Illinois plant, credits proposed Trump tariffs

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's a funny joke (seriously):beer: 

But look past the joke and to the serious national security implications of outsourcing steel production. And remember what industry uses steel by the boatload.

Do you seriously think Canada is a National security threat ? We've shared the longest border in the world with them for many years without any major incidents....and....

Canada does not simply buy  " cheap Chinese steel "...and sell it to us....It manufactures thousands and thousands of pounds of steel every single months....last year they made 13.7 million metric pounds of it....what about the aluminium....I believe they are the 3rd largest in production worldwide....why put a tariff on that ?....Starting a trade war with our closest economic ally, while enjoying a trade surplus overall with them sounds counter productive....

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have a brother that works in a steel plant. For the (nearly) 10 years he has worked there (not on the line, but Hubby does have a hunting buddy that works on the line in the same plant) I could tell the shape of the economy 6 months out by the production + hours they worked. Let's just say that for the past year they have all been scheduled 65-70 hours per week, and there is no end in sight. They are very tired, but it is difficult to complain about $$.

Also - U.S. Steel to reopen dormant Illinois plant, credits proposed Trump tariffs

But, but...how will those poor, misunderstood CEOs buy another yacht with these crippling tariffs?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

But do those steelworkers get to choose which bathroom they go pee?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Do you seriously think Canada is a National security threat ?  We've shared the longest border in the world with them for many years without any major incidents....and....

No, neither does Trump. 

10 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Canada does not simply buy  " cheap Chinese steel "...and sell it to us....It manufactures thousands and thousands of pounds of steel every single months....last year they made 13.7 million metric pounds of it....what about the aluminium....I believe they are the 3rd largest in production worldwide....why put a tariff on that ?....Starting a trade war with our closest economic ally, while enjoying a trade surplus overall with them sounds counter productive....

A lot of imported Canadian steel actually comes from China - and is indeed exported to the US as "Canadian" steel. 

https://www.trade.gov/steel/countries/pdfs/imports-Canada.pdf

The national security threat is outsourcing our steel production over the last 20 years so our armed forces and MiC become reliant upon imported steel that's of substandard quality (and cheaper) than it's American made counterparts. Over years, which it's been, that has a disastrous impact on our national security capabilities. We've seen it with substandard equipment being sent into battle in the past 17 years of endless war. Trump isn't saying Canada is a national security threat (he's clumsy with words, fully admit that, but the reality of what he's saying is more complex than that). He's saying relying on imported steel - especially when it's substandard - to build our military makes us weak. And it does. If we can't build our own weapons of war and defense, we are weaker. 

Much of the "pissing off our allies" speak is bluster. It's not "real". It's a public penance being paid by the very same allies who attempted to influence the election by aiding and abetting the illegal spying apparatus through 5 Eyes. Canada was a part of this - as was Britain, Germany, New Zealand, and Australia. That message can't be delivered publicly because Trump cares about preserving these alliances. If he didn't, he would expose what I'm pointing out (there's mountains of evidence in open source to prove these claims already, not counting what Trump has behind classifications). 

People are (rightfully) outraged that Russia tried to interfere in our elections. But they weren't alone. Our allies not only tried to interfere, they actively participated in a palace coup attempt - and failed. Payback is a B word. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Right. From what you saw.

How many people in totalitarian states come out publically and speak their mind?

You can continue to operate in fear of angering china. I refuse to do so.

Oh, I''m not living in fear of anything.....I was just pointing out that when Trump is acting like he doesn't care or shows little respect to our allies leaders and criticize their moves in such a public fashion, he needs to realize that we need them....they need us , yes...but we need them as well...

I already mentioned that I don't believe that the EU, UK or Canada will fall into China's arms anytime soon....but that option is there for them...we can't deny it....

12 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Oh, I''m not living in fear of anything.....I was just pointing out that when Trump is acting like he doesn't care or shows little respect to our allies leaders and criticize their moves in such a public fashion, he needs to realize that we need them....they need us , yes...but we need them as well...

I already mentioned that I don't believe that the EU, UK or Canada will fall into China's arms anytime soon....but that option is there for them...we can't deny it....

Read what DR has posted just above. You have much to learn about this.

You couldn't find something to copy and paste in order to respond? My point was made by DR above but I'd add to that the importance of just having a steel industry in the U.S. is critical to our national security. Mexico was a culprit too. Regardless, we needed to find a way for Canada to pay for the reconstruction of the White House.

You have no point and your retort was typically weak as neither Canada nor Mexico pose any National Security Risk.  Anything to defend the moron at 1600. :blink:

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You have no point and your retort was typically weak as neither Canada nor Mexico pose any National Security Risk.  Anything to defend the moron at 1600. :blink:

I'd say a million illegal immigrants crossing into this country each year along with tens of thousands of pounds of narcotics poses a security risk.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

You are an idiot incapable of thinking for yourself and seeing beyond the surface of the matter. Maybe if you spent more time reading the thread you'd understand what was being said here. Then again, maybe your best course of action really is to just copy and paste other people's words.