PFW: Tom Coughlin the favorite to replace Rex Ryan

FluffHead

Reading Chenelly's tweet again...if Coughlin really is a Pegula favorite and Whaley doesn't even interview him, I think we have our confirmation that the Pegulas have in fact removed the training wheels from Whaley's bike.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is only a coach, but he's also a Parcells guy and will want to shop for the groceries too. He had a lot of power in Jax. That's not to say that he can't get along with a powerful GM (Accorsi).

What I like about Coughlin is that:

1.) He is a CEO type who delegates the coordination and is focused on managing the game and the overall team; we really need that.

2.) He won 2 superbowls against the damn Cheatriots*; instant credibility with the players and within the organization to buy into his philosophy

3.) He is a bit of a hardass with the players, but also was able to move to the middle a bit. He will not stand for all of the BS and lack of accountability we have been hearing about.

4.) He knows how to run training camps, work with the GM on drafts, build a team and knows the ins and outs of how to run the entire football team. There is no getting a first time HC up to speed on how to handle all of the additional tasks they have never done before...

5.) He can also hopefully help straighten out or give recommendations on the personel department and football ops departments (he has seen and worked in many)

6.) He won't be here for more than 4-5 years and can have a successor being groomed in place to take over for him.

7.) He will help make us a credible organization again and give us a vision and direction that honestly we are sorely lacking

I'm wondering what made Jags sour on Coughlin or what he demanded that made him sour on the job. I wouldn't mind him as coach. It rarely works when a coach shops and cooks.

Maybe money but I believe the Jacksonville owner has a ton of money and is willing to spend

Reading Chenelly's tweet again...if Coughlin really is a Pegula favorite and Whaley doesn't even interview him, I think we have our confirmation that the Pegulas have in fact removed the training wheels from Whaley's bike.

It's interesting isn't it? Also IIRC when Pegs met with Coughlin Russ was there and Whaley was not...

I do also wonder how the Pegula's feel about the team after yesterday's press conference. If it took jw to text Terry to get a response and clarify things; you have to wonder how confident he feels now and can we expect to see that play out during the HC search and eventual hire?

I'm wondering what made Jags sour on Coughlin or what he demanded that made him sour on the job. I wouldn't mind him as coach. It rarely works when a coach shops and cooks.

I recall last year when he interviewed with the Eagles; he acted like a jilted bride and bad mouthed the Giants the entire interview...I also seem to recall that the Jags weren't seriously considering him either. It would be a bad move for us to find a coach who cooks and shops, you are correct; it almost never works out...

It's interesting isn't it? Also IIRC when Pegs met with Coughlin Russ was there and Whaley was not...

I do also wonder how the Pegula's feel about the team after yesterday's press conference. If it took jw to text Terry to get a response and clarify things; you have to wonder how confident he feels now and can we expect to see that play out during the HC search and eventual hire?

I also have wondered about this.

Do the Pegulas have more or less confidence in DW after yesterday? What does it say that both Terry and Kim were made available to JW and SC after the PC?

We can all draw our own conclusions. Time will tell.

I also have wondered about this.

Do the Pegulas have more or less confidence in DW after yesterday? What does it say that both Terry and Kim were made available to JW and SC after the PC?

We can all draw our own conclusions. Time will tell.

My completely uninformed guess? The Pegulas and Whaley wrongly presumed there would be a question or two about Rex, and then the focus would be on the next HC search and how to fix the team on the field. This was shortsighted and it left Whaley swinging in the breeze -- he had to dodge and lie so as not to throw Pegs under the bus.

I don't believe the Pegulas' impression of Whaley changed one iota based upon yesterday's press conference.

Coughlin would be the best available HC on the market currently. The Bills would be fortunate to get him.

It's ironic that they may sign him now since they had the chance way back when Marone was hired.

Personally, I think the Bills should go get the best possible HC, not just who happens to be available.

Word is that Sean Payton is ready to leave New Orleans. The Bills should explore this option before pulling the trigger on Coughlin.

The great added benefit is that Payton would likely be able to sway Brees to come with him to Buffalo.

Hiring Coughlin would do much to clean up the mess that has manifested itself with this franchise these last few years. Yesterday's press conference was a disaster- the Bills are viewed, and justifiably so, as being a joke. Marrone's exodus; the hiring of carnival side show Rex; Mario Williams' act; drafting Lawson (claiming he's healthy, only to have him go under the knife after 1 practice); Rob Ryan; "we won the offseason"; the Roman firing; the Rex firing; the Lynn cringe-inducing presser; benching Tyrod- it all could be erased by hiring a reputable coach the likes of Coughlin.

It's funny that someone actually can report that Whaley "isn't excited" about Lynn. Where do reporters get knowledge of what Whaley is thinking?

If you followed the press conference, I believe he said Rex picked him for interim coach and it wasn't his choice...

It's funny that someone actually can report that Whaley "isn't excited" about Lynn. Where do reporters get knowledge of what Whaley is thinking?

They definitely ask.

BuffNewsReporter: "Hey, Doug, what do you think of Anthony Lynn as a potential HC candidate?"

Doug Whaley: "I'm really excited about him."

BuffNewsReporter, turning to other BuffNewsReporter: "What is he talking about? He's not excited about him."

If you followed the press conference, I believe he said Rex picked him for interim coach and it wasn't his choice...

"It wasn't his choice" and "he didn't make the choice" are two very different statements. I think Whaley simply said that Rex recommended to Pegula that Lynn be the interim coach, and he "wasn't privy" to the discussion. ;)

It wasn't his choice because there was no need to ask, not that he wouldn't have chosen him. It was obvious to everyone who knew anything about the Bills coaches that he would be the choice. They are not going to choose Dennis Thurman.