Sammy Talking Again

plenzmd1

I'm sure that some national paper will run with this, but in the context of the article, he didn't really say anything all that inflammatory.

National? look at the comments from the thread starter, he's already decided this is a negative and everything is falling apart. The guy with elite talent wants the ball, oh no!!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He should have spoke up sooner. It's hard to watch. This world class athlete at QB is simply not capable of managing an offense and misuses our top WR and TE as if it were te gameplan.

Except that isn't what Sammy said in the article. Read it before assuming anything.

Except that isn't what Sammy said in the article. Read it before assuming anything.

I read it. He's being polite. Watch the all-22. Tyrod often doesn't even look Watkins or Clay's way. He's indecisive with the ball. He only feels comfortable throwing to players facing him standing still. He doesn't understand that if Sammy is one on one he's actually open.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/buffalo_bills_wr_sammy_watkins_it_takes_passing_to_win_games.html

Hmm...this place is falling apart at the seams...Whaley Ripping Rex, team Rex firing back, Sammy batting on Tyrod...when we gunna hear from Team Tyrod?

I think everybody watching film sees that I'm getting open," Watkins said. "It's not just that he's not getting me the ball. Most of the time I'm about to get the ball but it's a pressure situation and I be wide open. I think about flipping out and having bad body language, but you can't do that. You have to move on to the next play.

"I look on film and I'll be angry or mad like, 'Was I open? or 'Do I get open?' Because you second guess yourself when you're not getting the ball, but once I look back I'll be like, man, I did a great job on that play. I did my job. That's the only thing you can do at this point."

He's watching the same films as TT, aren't they watching them together? I would think two professionals would sit down and discuss why he keeps getting open and TT isn't getting him the ball? It's not too late, well maybe it is.

I read it. He's being polite. Watch the all-22. Tyrod often doesn't even look Watkins or Clay's way. He's indecisive with the ball. He only feels comfortable throwing to players facing him standing still. He doesn't understand that if Sammy is one on one he's actually open.

Ok. Go watch the all-22 and then go put more words in Sammy's mouth. He didn't say what you are saying. You must be one heck of a mind reader. Can I rent your crystal ball?

What Sammy Actually Meant : Sunday was a great win and I'm looking forward to playing a tough Dolphins team.

Q: are you worried about your lack of targets?

A: I just want to win and I'm doing everything I can to help my team do that. I'm going to keep working hard and the ball will come way, let's go get that W vs. Miami.

Probably wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as his usual cryptic remarks.

What do you think he's frustrated about exactly?

Let's read what he said - "I can say, I think that we can be one of the best passing teams. We have all the weapons and guys, I think it's more-so we have to put more effort into passing than running"

- He also said he can't really say much because he missed 8 games.

So it looks to me like he is frustrated that

1) He missed so much time which has hampered this team and the passing game - the team and passing game is obviously a lot better with him playing and him healthy

2) He is unhappy that the team isn't putting more effort into passing - (sounds more like a problem with team philosophy than a problem with personnel. Afterall, he says that he thinks they have all the weapons and guys - Does that sound like he is blaming Tyrod? doesn't sound like it to me.

And then he goes on to say I wonder why he didn't throw me the ball on a play - then I look at the film and see there is a guy right in front of him and that is why he can't throw me the ball. - His words - "Like I said, there's certain situations where a guy is right in his face and there's pressure, and I'm like, 'Ah!' You want to be mad, but at the same time, you go can't. You watch film and see, 'Oh he had somebody in his face, he couldn't throw it to me. Those are the things you can't control, the line or what goes on back there."

Full disclosure I am a TT supporter.

Isn't it possible that Sammy could be open but the design of the play and the defense still dictates the ball goes elsewhere? I suspect there are many many times TT just doesn't make the correct read or even if he does he does not pull the trigger. However I am sure there are times where Sammy is not the primary option in a pass play yet he still has a route to run and he may indeed win that battle. If the primary read is open the ball should be delivered there. That is the way a play is designed.

Now I would argue they don't design enough plays that make Sammy the primary target. He should get 8-12 plays specifically for him a game. Add in the rest of the passing plays and he should be getting 10-15 targets a game. What is it now 5 maybe 6 a game? That has to change.

Nothing wrong with what Sammy said. He didn't come right out and blame TT. But he's gotta be frustrated. More immature WR's with a lot less talent would be flipping out. Really, all the WR's have done a great job with composure this year.

Let's read what he said - "I can say, I think that we can be one of the best passing teams. We have all the weapons and guys, I think it's more-so we have to put more effort into passing than running"

- He also said he can't really say much because he missed 8 games.

So it looks to me like he is frustrated that

1) He missed so much time which has hampered this team and the passing game - the team and passing game is obviously a lot better with him playing and him healthy

2) He is unhappy that the team isn't putting more effort into passing - (sounds more like a problem with team philosophy than a problem with personnel. Afterall, he says that he thinks they have all the weapons and guys - Does that sound like he is blaming Tyrod? doesn't sound like it to me.

And then he goes on to say I wonder why he didn't throw me the ball on a play - then I look at the film and see there is a guy right in front of him and that is why he can't throw me the ball. - His words - "Like I said, there's certain situations where a guy is right in his face and there's pressure, and I'm like, 'Ah!' You want to be mad, but at the same time, you go can't. You watch film and see, 'Oh he had somebody in his face, he couldn't throw it to me. Those are the things you can't control, the line or what goes on back there."

I think he's trying not to blame any one person, but say, WTF, I'm open, get me the ball.

Yes absolutely right...him and Tyrod took the league by storm the second half of the season last year and they were unstoppable for most of that time...for whatever reason, maybe its because they haven't played together much, they haven't really recaptured it yet. But it's ridiculous when you have a weapon like that and you can't figure out how to get the ball in his hands.

Really it's inexcusable. It would be the equivalent of having McCoy on the field and repeatedly handing the ball to Felton instead. Throw some quick screens to him that he was so good with at Clemson, put him in the backfield like Packers do with Cobb, etc...whatever you have to do, do it.

Edited by matter2003

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/buffalo_bills_wr_sammy_watkins_it_takes_passing_to_win_games.html

Hmm...this place is falling apart at the seams...Whaley Ripping Rex, team Rex firing back, Sammy batting on Tyrod...when we gunna hear from Team Tyrod?

I think everybody watching film sees that I'm getting open," Watkins said. "It's not just that he's not getting me the ball. Most of the time I'm about to get the ball but it's a pressure situation and I be wide open. I think about flipping out and having bad body language, but you can't do that. You have to move on to the next play.

"I look on film and I'll be angry or mad like, 'Was I open? or 'Do I get open?' Because you second guess yourself when you're not getting the ball, but once I look back I'll be like, man, I did a great job on that play. I did my job. That's the only thing you can do at this point."

REX RYAN made the decision to make Cardale Jones inactive. When Cardale had receivers at Ohio State, he lit teams up deep and won the National Championship. I don't think many Bills fans realize the star we have in Cardale because Rex is hiding him and is afraid to replace Tyrod.

REX RYAN made the decision to make Cardale Jones inactive. When Cardale had receivers at Ohio State, he lit teams up deep and won the National Championship. I don't think many Bills fans realize the star we have in Cardale because Rex is hiding him and is afraid to replace Tyrod.

If he is that good, why isn't he at least number 2 in the pecking order. He hasn't even beat out EJ for backup position yet. Your reasoning seems a bit suspect. What incentive does Rex have to hide anybody? Don't you think he wants to win? Don't you think he is going to play the quarterback that he thinks gives the Bills the best chance to win?

I have no problem with what he said...but

Sammy has missed lots of time. How much was he in camp? Nada. How many games did he miss this season? Last season?

There is no chemistry between him and Tyrod at this point.

You are correct. Sammy even said this - "I think it's a lot to do with that," Watkins said. "Being out eight weeks, you don't have the time or that trust.

You are correct. Sammy even said this - "I think it's a lot to do with that," Watkins said. "Being out eight weeks, you don't have the time or that trust.

That's the whole point tho...make it easy for him to get the ball...quick screen, routes out of the backfield, etc...he HAS to get the ball, he is every bit as much of a gamebreaker as McCoy...

I like my chances with Sammy one on one out on a quick screen against pretty much anyone.

Edited by matter2003

If he is that good, why isn't he at least number 2 in the pecking order. He hasn't even beat out EJ for backup position yet. Your reasoning seems a bit suspect. What incentive does Rex have to hide anybody? Don't you think he wants to win? Don't you think he is going to play the quarterback that he thinks gives the Bills the best chance to win?

NOPE. EJ Manuel should never have made the roster. Every time he comes in a collective groan comes from Bills fans everywhere.

I know what Cardale is capable of because I'm a Buckeyes fan and I have seen what he can do under a real coach in Urban Meyer.

Rex Ryan isn't anywhere close to being a real head coach... what HE THINKS is garbage. That's why he should be FIRED!!!!!!

well... Cardale is the type of QB who is going to throw it to Sammy 15 times a game whether he's open or not. I'd like a happy medium in order to win. Cardale is the gunslinger that TT isn't ... but that can be very hard on a team if he's turning the ball over. Edited by YoloinOhio