Guess how many teams...

On top of all that is the fact that teams are stacking the box and daring Tyrod to beat them. It is truly amazing the rush attack is as good as it is knowing there are 8/9 in the box.

It really says alot that the QB can't pass when the other team is daring him to. I don't think Tyrod would pass if the defense stacked the box with 10 or 11.

"The game plan was to make him be a quarterback," Ravens defensive tackle Brandon Williams said. -Week 1 loss to Baltimore

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Beef Jerky said "OK... This means absolutely nothing."

I was responding to that. I also agree with you that it doesn't mean everything. But I get worried when posters say "we need to blow it all up." We have done a lot of good things this year. Blowing it up would negate a lot of that.

As most fans are, I'm tired of the constant turnover. We need to find a way to have consistency if were ever going to make the postseason.

Who said it means nothing? But the inference that it means everything is foolhardy. The offense as constructed is not capable to coming from behind or winning a shootout which is why they almost never those games against the likes of NE, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Seattle -- you know, playoff teams. That's why they need a different QB.

The O has been productive enough to make the playoffs. End of story. Promote A. Lynn to be the head coach and find another Jim Schwartz. This team is pretty close. No need to blow it up.

But OK, if you want to be a Bills reporter go ahead and claim the Cleveland Browns are in a better position.

if the D doesn't allow career days to Fitzpatrick and ajayi, then this conversation most likely doesn't happen.

Exactly!! The Bills D gives up 37 points to the Jets. That's the Jets highest point production this year. And lets not forget what Defense allowed Jacksonville to finally score on an opening drive, something they could not do in the last 25 games. Thank God the Bills offense put up 28 points against Jacksonville. Could you imagine if the D allowed them to get 29 points??? Some fans would've wanted the whole offense to be **** caned.

The O has been productive enough to make the playoffs. End of story. Promote A. Lynn to be the head coach and find another Jim Schwartz. This team is pretty close. No need to blow it up.

But OK, if you want to be a Bills reporter go ahead and claim the Cleveland Browns are in a better position.

What gives you any inclination that Lynn is a good HC Candidate?

Don't be obtuse. The passing game is horrible in a league designed to assist passers. There will be times your team is going to need to pass the ball. There will be shootouts. This team is simply incapable in that regard

The Bills are #6 in Points Per Offensive Drive and tied for #2 in Points Per Offensive Play. There's not much more room to get better there.

The defense is #21 in opponent scoring efficiency, #14 in yards against per play, #22 in third down efficiency, #21 in TDs against.

Tyrod hasn't been great passing but the offense has been more than adequate.

Edited by Chilly

There is a point to be made here folks and it's something I said a few weeks ago. I don't care if they cut ties with Taylor at this point, I really don't. But as much as he is a below average passer and too often misses open receivers downfield, he clearly runs an effective offense. You don't luck your way into being a top ten scoring offense for two straight years. And I know this is hard for some posters to understand but Taylor is a huge part of what makes the running game go. Anyone who thinks that any QB could just hand the ball off to our running backs and we'd have the best running game in the league just doesn't get it at all. I'll tell you all this right now- if the Bills let Taylor go, someone will pick him up thinking they can work on his passing and insert him as a game manager somewhere. He will start in the league again next year, whether it's here or not. He is undeniably a better and more effective quarterback overall than he looks as a passer.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

There is a point to be made here folks and it's something I said a few weeks ago. I don't care if they cut ties with Taylor at this point, I really don't. But as much as he is a below average passer and too often misses open receivers downfield, he clearly runs an effective offense. You don't luck your way into being a top ten scoring offense for two straight years. And I know this is hard for some posters to understand but Taylor is a huge part of what makes the running game go. Anyone who thinks that any QB could just hand the ball off to our running backs and we'd have the best running game in the league just doesn't get it at all. I'll tell you all this right now- if the Bills let Taylor go, someone will pick him up thinking they can work on his passing and insert him as a game manager somewhere. He will start in the league again next year, whether it's here or not. He is undeniably a better and more effective quarterback overall than he looks as a passer.

I think you are correct sir.

And that is why I don't give the Bills' offensive line as much credit as you seem to. I think Taylor as QB makes them look a lot better than they really are -especially compared to a pocket passing statue.

Guess how many teams have a worse passing offense than the Bills?

One...49ers.

Even if they upped their passing offense by 50 yards, to a very modest 230 yards a game, it would probably make a big difference. It is mind boggling that even if they are averaging 230, they are still near the bottom 1/3 of the league. Instead you have a QB that is gun shy, stands in the pocket for 3 seconds, takes off, and either throws on the run, or just takes off.

You really think that is a formula for leading a team to the playoffs, or gasp...a team that can win a playoff game?

?? -- The Bills aren't 31st in passer rating. Not even close. Why would you say this?

Here here... this is typical Buffalo frustrations boiling over. I like Jeremy White on WGR but geez, he has crusaded against Taylor all season and the fans buy into it. As if other teams QB's are constantly hitting every open guy over the middle and averaging 25 pts per game. The defense has stunk this year!

Fans should be careful what they wish for. May have another QB next season and go back to averaging 19 pts per game. That will be fun. If it's Cardale I hope he blows the league up but just don't take 25 pts per game for granted. It's not easy and it would not be happening without Tyrod leading the O this year.

good post.

If at the beginning of the season, when all were "all in" on a "ground and pound offense" and a "top 5 D", someone was to predict that the Offense would lead the league in rushing, be a top 6 in TDs scored/9th in points scored, have a "game manager" QB who only had 6 ints and 2 fumbles after 14 games (along with 20 total TDs)........and that the team would still only be 7-7 at week 15, would anyone have concluded that the offense was going to be the main problem?

The blind would conclude that.

The Bills are #6 in Points Per Offensive Drive and tied for #2 in Points Per Offensive Play. There's not much more room to get better there.

The defense is #21 in opponent scoring efficiency, #14 in yards against per play, #22 in third down efficiency, #21 in TDs against.

Tyrod hasn't been great passing but the offense has been more than adequate.

This is nonsense. Imagine how much better this OFFENSE would be with Hoyer. We would be averaging about 40pts a game and setting all-time NFL scoring records. (Sarcasm intended)

Woah, you mean this topic was a TT defense one after all?

Who said blow it up all up? We just need to fix the secondary and find a QB to complement the running game.

Tyrod is a huge compliment to the running game. He scored I believe 6 rushing touchdowns, has more rushing yards than any other QB my a large margin and runs the option where teams cannot just key on our running back. Just the fact that he is a threat to run and you must key on him means that he is a huge compliment to the running game. The bottom line is the our team wouldn't be number 1 in rushing the last two years without him behind center. Does he need to improve his passing game, absolutely but again look at how many times he extends plays on third downs because he picks up the first down with his legs.

This thread is ridiculous. We have a strong running game. Insinuating anything else about the offense is crazy.

Insightful post. The world is still flat, too.

You think after 2 full seasons of being among the best in the NFL at scoring, defenses would figure out how to stop this one dimension.

Fact is its not that easy to stop the run when you HAVE to spy on the QB and keep contain. To not acknowledge the asset that TT is to the offense in that respect is foolish. As for passing, if you want more yards then we'll have to run less. But why do that when our offensive formula already works. We score. And we score a lot.

Insightful post. The world is still flat, too.

You think after 2 full seasons of being among the best in the NFL at scoring, defenses would figure out how to stop this one dimension.

Fact is its not that easy to stop the run when you HAVE to spy on the QB and keep contain. To not acknowledge the asset that TT is to the offense in that respect is foolish. As for passing, if you want more yards then we'll have to run less. But why do that when our offensive formula already works. We score. And we score a lot.

I agree, although I do think that one area where TT has let the team down this year has been the deep passing game. Yes, important guys are missing, but the deadly accuracy he had last year just isn't there this year. Maybe luck is inherent in the nature of deep passing - that is, he was lucky last year and not lucky this year. Hard to say, but that element has been missed.

I have a serious question: if we had a QB that passed for 250-300yds a game but had no running game, would the same outcry exist? I dont think it would. We could even be scoring less than we do now. But who cares bc we can pass well. I can really see less of an outcry if this offense was reversed. People just dont care about the running game. Its all about passing. Even if you suck at least you go down passing. I think thats the mindset that wont change.

As many have mentioned, evaluating Taylor by passing yards alone is short-sighted. Granted, he misses open receivers but so does every other QB in the league. The difference is that we're heavily reliant on the run because we're good at it. And he's a big part of the reason why.

It's the defense, folks. Look no further than the head coach as to why we're likely not going to the playoffs again this year. The offense more than held up its side of the deal.

I agree, although I do think that one area where TT has let the team down this year has been the deep passing game. Yes, important guys are missing, but the deadly accuracy he had last year just isn't there this year. Maybe luck is inherent in the nature of deep passing - that is, he was lucky last year and not lucky this year. Hard to say, but that element has been missed.

Its not an excuse but more of a reality: the turnstile at WR has affected the chemistry between QB and WR. And for most of our games this season Goodwin was the only deep threat at WR. That being said i think TT shouldve taken more shots down the field at times. Hes been more conservative down the field this year almost to a fault. And there are several reasons for that IMO.